What should a healthy bunnies' poop look like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
If you pick up a pellet and squeeze it, should it be crumbly and dry, almost dusty like the pellets they eat, or should it be slightly moist and not fall apart at all when squeezed?
lol... hope you guys don't think that's gross!!

It should be very rounded and dry, those are from healthy rabbits. If they look a little mushier and are clustered like grapes they're the little cecal pellets that they eat most of the time-a few left uneaten is fine, but too many is not.

If they're very mushy or runny that's an indicator of internal problems and you should see a vet.

Also, I don't have as much experience as some people on here so someone may come and correct me. But I'm pretty sure what I've said is correct.

EDIT: I would also like to say that your bunny looks exactly like my Harper!

Rabbit feces should be well formed, relatively dry pellets. I don't know that they should be dry to the point of being crumbly/dusty though, at least not if they're pretty fresh. Mine hold form pretty well if gently squeezed, though they will fall apart pretty easily when they're older and more dried out. We talking fresh poo or old poo here?

Yep, when they first come out them they are slightly moist feeling and you can squish them out of shape. As they dry the water content decreases and they feel harder and crumble rather than squish. If you break them apart (fresh or old) you should be able to see tiny bits of hay (indigestible fibre).

How long until it gets to be crumbly?
My bunnies poop is hard but squishes more then crumbles... What might cause that?

It is my understanding that rabbits have 2 types of poops.

The drier kind and the softer kind.
I believe the softer kind are called cecotrophs or something like that. They are the ones that rabbits eat to get the extra nutrients.

yes, I am not talking about cecotrophs, I am talking about the finished product lol! And fresh too...
this is good news, this means my rabbits' poop is actually healthier since his food change, because it was dry and nearly dusty when squeezed, and didn't hold together at all once squeezed!

Latest posts

Back