what rabbits do for us and what we do for them

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjsara

Reaction score
What rabbits do for us and what we do for them.

To most people who have never owned a rabbit or known anyone that has, they think rabbit, cute, cuddly carrot munching cutie, that can never do any wrong. But for the rest of us we know better. Or do we? The purpose of my writing is to hopefully share my knowledge of rabbits with people who want to learn.Or for those who would just like a good read.

We start with buying your rabbit, now we all have our opinions and I would say most agree to either adopt orbuy from a breeder, and on a general note most pet stores are bad. But where do most people buy their, bunnies from? That's right a pet store. You walk in and what to you see small cute fuzzy bunnies, and think why not they are cute and cuddly. So you buy on impulse without knowing the first thing. Everyone knows the rest of that story and what road that leads to. Hopefully I can prevent that from happening.

When you decide you want a rabbit there are things you must buy first to ensure a happy healthy bunny. First a cage (the bigger the bunny the bigger the cage), bedding (cat litter is a no no), food (timothy pellets and alfalfa hay -just when they are young til about 4 months then slowly switch to timothy hay),a litter pan, a heavy crock, and a water bottle. Those are the basics; the bare minimum. And they aren't cheap. Tack on the rabbit and the initial vet check and you're easily out 200 dollars.

If your rabbit is going to be inside which I would recommend, then you are going to bunny proof your home or the parts that the rabbit will have access to. Bunny proofing as simply as it can be put is taking the hazard out of your house for the rabbit. this means covering and or placing cables out of rabbits range. Any wire left out will be found and will be chewed on guaranteed! Also plants need to be kept from rabbits range. If this means putting them up when your rabbit is out then it must be done. Also you may want to invest in some bitter apple spray for wood and other things your rabbit may decide they want to chew on.

So you've bought your bunny and all the supplies and you are bringing him/her home, as much as you want to play with your bunny as soon as you get home the best thing to do is to leave them alone. They are scared they have just had their existence turned upside down. Let them settle into their new home, for about 24hours. Then when it comes time to letting them out, it is my humble opinion that you should put the bunny down and lay on the floor, let them sniff and become familiar with the outside world. Don't go to them, let them come to you this will take some time it may not even happen for a week. Patience is the key. When they come to you let them sniff you, remember these are their terms you are trying to instill trust. The pay off is a true friend. This will take a long time depending on the rabbit.

Contrary to popular belief rabbits aren't a pet you can buy and leave in the cage and come and go as you please. They need at least 2 hours a day out of their cage, to exercise, and stimulate their minds. Some everyday items can make for exciting play toys for your bunny, such as, phonebooks, papertowel rolls, paper bags, and even untreated wicker. There are also lots of things you can buy to entertain your little one watch out for sugary stuff tho.

To properly interact with your rabbit you need to know how they think. Number one they are the boss you will never change their mind, rabbits demand respect the way you show your rabbit you respect it is to groom them, in Laymen's terms this means pet them. Most rabbits will come up to you at one point in time and put their head down this means pet me now! If you don't pet them you may get a friendly reminder that you are being summoned. I'm not going to tell you how to pet your rabbit with a little practice you'll find out what they like. Rabbits when they are happy will chatter their teeth it sort of feels like grinding. Its what we call purring. Also rabbits will run around the house perfecting their moves, jumping and binkying. A binky is when your rabbit jumps and twists its body, it's very entertaining to watch.

Rabbits can prove to be very, loving pets if you show them the same respect, they aren't an animal you can buy and put away for later use. They require a lot of care. Hopefully this gives you a basic overview of how to care for your rabbit.

sara

sara how I missed this great post I do not know!

You have really said everything there so well!

I enjoyed reading it and sat here nodding my head thinking yup did that, did that lol

I thought it was great

Bravo!!:D:D:D

My husbands Grandmother isnt an animal person.

She met Guin for the first time last week. She asked me why Ispend so much money on animals when they dont do anything.

I calmly explained to her that my buns and my rat have done wonders for me.

When I was grieving for the loss of a friend, Guineverelistened. She let me cuddle her, hold her, carry heraround.

When I was sick with the flu, Guinevere checked up on me every so often to make sure I was alright.

When I am sad, Guinevere knows it and either does really silly stunts, or sits with me.

She knows when I am going to have an athsma attack in mysleep. This is something I just figured out today.Every time she has tried really hard to wake me up in the middle of thenight, it has preceeded an athsma attack. And today's couldhave been worse. I almost went to the hospital for thisone.

Guinevere is worth every penny I have spent for her care orfor her to have fun. I would pay 100 times more then what Ihave for her.

Some people just dont understand!

I touched on some of this lightly in Bo's thread. I thought about this yesterday and even more today.

I was never a morning person. I hated getting up and havingto do stuff. I wanted to sleep. Sure I still do,but I get a laugh every day when I see Bo's nose poking out for hismorning goodie.

I take a few minutes to sit on the floor and hold whatever he's gettingto eat (usually oats or a little piece of banana).... It's awonderful way to start in the morning!

Then, I let him out to play while I get the kids up and pack lunches,etc. He's doing the bunny 500, shaking his ears, chasing thecat, and of course, he has his work! Those paper bags don't shredthemselves ya know?!

Then, he wears himself down to snuggle with my daughter as she istrying to wake herself up. I see this cute little brown bunnyjump up next to her, wiggle it's tail, shake his ears and flip overonto his back as he slides against her and whatever blanket she hasthat morning! then back on his side to relax! (That's what we call arolly flop! they are the best!)...... He wants to be as closeas he can to her!

How could I frown seeing that?

Great thread, and I really can relate to yourtopics. Everyday I learn something from Shadow, my stressreliever and yetit may be the same for her coming from beingcaged up for the first 3 years of her life.Everydaymyself and my daughter receive more and more inreturn. I personally find rabbits have a more socialperspective on relationships (give and take)and glorify inwhat I receive from our bun. Thank you for the informativeinformation:)

~Debbie~

gjsara wrote:
But where do most people buytheir, bunnies from? that’s right a pet store. You walk inand what to you see small cute fuzzy bunnies, and think why not theyare cute and cuddly. So you buy on impulse without knowing the firstthing. Everyone knows the rest of that story and what road that leadsto. Hopefully I can prevent that from happening.

I'd have to admit that I did buy Cosmo at a pet store onimpulse...however, it does not always mean that when someone buys a peton impulse from a pet shop that the pet will not recieve proper careand that it will probably be given away. I happen to love andadore Cosmo..I'm told that I take excellent care of him, and I feelthat he will stick around for many more years. Yes, I doagree that many pet store purchases end up badly, but there are peoplelike myself (not to brag) that are responsible owners. Justwanted to say my bit, thank you.

-Vanessa

Latest posts

Back