What pasturella?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm moving this to the infirmary since it is really a health question...

I'm sure you'll get lots of great answers there.

Also, if you check our rabbit health references here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=10

You'll see that we have all sorts of topics covered for rabbit health.

In fact, here's the link to the one on pasturella....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12007&forum_id=10

Here is just a brief glimpse at that thread:

What is it?
From Jeffrey R. Jenkins, D.V.M.
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/pasteurella.html

[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Pasteurelloses, "snuffles," torticollis, metritis, mastitis, abscesses and many other problems of rabbits are clinical expressions of infections caused by Pasteurella multocida, a bacterium that is present in most all pet rabbits. There is a great deal of misunderstanding about both the bacterium and the diseases that it causes in our friends.[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Pasteurella multocida lives in the upper respiratory tract (nose and sinus) of rabbits and other mammals. This is its niche, where it likes to live. Most strains of the bacterium have evolved to NOT cause diseases in their host, the animal which they live. Rather, a balance is established between the rabbit's immune system and the bacterium in which the number of the bacteria are kept in check and no disease develops.[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]But disease does, of course, occur. Three factors may be involved in these situations. The rabbit may "pick up" a strain of Pasteurella that is more virulent (prone to disease), the bacterium may find its way into tissues or organs where it is more likely to cause disease (such as a bite wound, lactating mammary gland or uterus) or something may happen in the rabbit's life that decreases its immune system's ability to keep the Pasteurella in check.[/font]

Don't forget - you can find MANY MANY rabbit health topics covered in our health reference area!

Peg

Dr. Jenkins...aka Dr. Exotic is one of the leading exotic vets in the country. I have had the pleasure of his advice in my journeys in rescue.

Pasteurella multocida is the pathogen (bacteria) that is responsible for what had traditionally been known as "snuffles"...and many of you know that I hate that term. In a rabbit, most often the condition manifests itself in the upper respiratory system and gives the "cold" (rabbits don't get colds) symptoms we all know. It is also responsible for nearly all of the non-trauma induced head tilt (wry neck). It can also invade any body organ and is usually also found in parts of dental/head abscesses. It can be most challenging to contain.

Is is zoonotic...yes, people can get pasteurella. But it is found in the respiratory tracts of nearly every warm blooded mammal....including humans. Unless the person is very young or very old or that their immune system has been compromised, a human's immune system can usually handle any systemic infection quite easily. And we can also take some antibiotics that rabbits can't.

Randy

My Bud had pasteralla and we didn't know till it was to late. He died of it on Jun 30.

Any way Pasteralla is a bacteria that I guess weakens the bunny and makes it succeptible to other deasies.

Yes people can get pasteralla. So If your bun has it be wary.

The simptons are snezzing attachs, no interst in food, and a lethargic bunny. at first it's just snezzes, then it after a while it turns to a bunny less active till he can't do anything. It's really scary.

If you think your bun hs pasteralla take him to the vet right away.

Also I heard that Pasteralla is the same bactria that's in komoto dragon's saliva.

hope I was helpful.

-TK

Edited beacuse I keep forgeting stuff:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back