What on earth does this mean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
Look at this

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ME3gi8K1sI&mode=related&search=[/ame]

I came across this randomly- and it is really strange. What do these sounds mean? Is she scared? Angry? It's titled growling but it sounds more like terrified squeaking.........

That's not normal for a bunny is it, cos I have never heard anything of the sort.

That is actually normal for a bunny....depending upon the circumstance.

A doe who is territorial about her cage (or space) may do that.

A doe that believes she is pregnant may do that - especially if put in a cage with a buck trying to breed her.

A doe may also do it if she is scared about something.

I have yet to hear a buck do that though....its usually does.

My guess is - the doe was concerned about something - or trying to say "keep away from me 'cause I'm scared"...

But yes, I've heard that noise from does frequently (I'm a breeder).

Peg

P.S. The doe was not in any danger - but she felt she was in danger....I don't think that person was being cruel to her. I think they were trying to show the way she acted. BUT - I didn't read the comments below the video.

jcottonl02 wrote:
That's not normal for a bunny is it, cos I have never heard anything of the sort.

I'm thinking unspayed and unsocialized.

The little thing lunges as the hand comes close in the beginning of the video.

That, and the microphone is real close.

Oh no I don't think they were being cruel to her- no woz there :)

Really? how interesting.......it sounded like a guinea pig lol!

So it's a kind of defensive, territorial sound? I would not have heard it cos I have two bucks lol :D

Thanks for that cos I was really confused- all the bun was getting were soft, loving strokes, and I was quite bewildered as to why she would be squeaking in terror- which is what I thought it was at the time lol.

Yeah I would guess that that bunny hadnt been handled that much or was particularly used to people.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7HBilUd61w&mode=related&search]http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7HBilUd61w&mode=related&search[/ame]=

Look at this poor one :( It's cage is tiny and messy with no soft spot to sit. And the stupid lady wonders why it lunges and tries to bite, I would too if a big finger was trying to poke me.

I watched that second video, and freaked out, I wanted to hit that lady... But then again, maybe all she needs is some help from fellow bun-owners..... Anyways, I agree the cage is WAY to small...

Most people who own pet rabbits are not familiar with the normal noises and body language of social interaction between intact rabbits in a warren.

The whining noises that does make are very common, and it's certainly not unusual for rabbits like the one in the second video to defend it's territory. Rabbits in the wild can be very aggressive and do establish a social hierarchy.

I agree that the bunny in the second video is in a cage that is much too small, however, it's possible that the bunny is just caged overnight and left to run during the day.

Our precious house bunny Princess (deceased) was very territorial and showed extreme cage aggression. She was never abused and got plenty of exercise, but was not spayed and exhibited normal behavior for an alpha queen.

Pam

My pepo does all kinds of sounds all day long. First times i heard her, i freaked out, i thought i hurt hurt or that she was very scared of me and left them alone. Second time she made a very loud noise was when i reached to pick her up to get her out of my room, and i thought she was going to attack me. It was the first bun i had that made noises and i read everywhere that bunnies make noise when in pain. But not my Pepo, she makes all sort of loud noises when she is being petter or groomed by the other bunnies.

I've never heard something like that so high, although any noise from my three guys are usually quite low and deep. I should take a video of Pebbles during feeding time, a few times she's knocked the whole bowl out of my hands while I was putting it down in excitement! She's always been food aggressive, but I'm trying to teach her if she bats and attacks trying to get it, she has to wait a few minutes for it. It worked last night and she sat impatiently until I put it down. Took a few tries, but I got it down without fearing my poor hands! :pSilly thing

That's kinda funny because a rabbit grunting sounds like the noise guinea pigs make when they are happy.

PS. to the second video why would you put that on youtube? I would not want to show that to others unless it was people who were helping me solve the problem. Plus, she knows the bunny is aggressive and keeps sticking her finger right at its mouth to get it to attack for the camera. I don't get some people.

Pernod makes noises all the time - mostly they sound like a duck. She does it when she's eating, cleaning herself or just laying down. And when you hit just the 'right' spot when petting her she makes a contented kind of whimpering noise. Until you stop, then she begs for more :D

Jan

Back