What my bunny needs in his cage?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo14

Reaction score
What does my bunny need in his cage?!?

He's a 2 year old male lionhead that was near neglected before we adopted him.

Thanks!

Litter box, a rectangular cat box is best. Litter for the box needs to be rabbit safe, wood or paper pellets are great to use.
Some bedding in the cage, a litter trained rabbit does not need litter in the whole cage. A towel, fleece, rugs, or something else similar is good. I do recommend something easy to wash as they may pee on it or it just needs to be cleaned once in a while. Some rabbits chew some fabric, so you may need to try something different if you rabbit does chew it.
Food and water dishes or a water bottle. I prefer dishes as the rabbits do drink more and it is easy to clean. A heavy ceramic dish is harder to flip over, but you can also get ones that hook onto the side of the cage if you have a really determined rabbit. The food bowl just needs to be big enough for the rabbit to eat comfortably (some have a bigger head, so may need a wider dish). Some people use a dish for veggies or hay as well, but it's not needed and up to you.
A hay rack can be a good idea. Since most rabbits like to eat hay and poop in the same spot, putting hay in or near the litter box really helps with litter training. Some people just put the hay in the litter box.
Toys, rabbits need things to play with. Things like cat jungle balls, hay balls or mats, cardboard tubes or boxes are all good. You may need to try some different things to see what your rabbit likes to play with.
A bed could be something you want to get. I like round cat beds, and the rabbits seem to like them as well. Again, something easy to wash is good.

If you have a pen for your rabbit and can attach it to the cage (or even just have him living in a pen), you can give some more stuff and spread it out. A cat tunnel is great, most rabbits love to play with them.

Latest posts

Back