What method do you use to rewarm chilled babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCWelch

Reaction score
I stumbled on one today when I tried to find my heating pad and discovered that it had gotten destroyed by some mice.

My fiance starts plants for the garden indoors and we have a "plant mat" that heats the roots of the plants (or the seeds and soil) to help with germination and growing.
I quickly ran upstairs to our planting area and read the mat, it says it heats 10 to 20 degrees above ambient room temp.(Room temp was around 60)

Reason I needed this,we had severe storms last night and it blew rain into the nestboxes. The wind was fierce and could not pick a direction, we thought there was a tornado. All of the babies were wet and cold so we had planned to put them on the heating pad before we discovered the problem.

After changing the bedding in the nests and drying some of the mommas hair we reconstructed the nests and once they were warm we put the babies back.

I am not positive the right babies are with the right doe but they really don't care, both are great moms and deal well with fostering. 5 hours later all the babies are happily snoozing.

We heat a damp washcloth up in the microwave until it's toasty warm and then wrap it around the little kit and hold it under our chins and cuddle it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sorry to hear about your spate of bad weather but glad to hear that everyone made it through OK!

With any type of heating /electrical I would be worried about it getting too hot and sculding thier skin. Even on low they are way to hot. I worked for a vet for 12 years and whenever we had kittens, puppies and or bunnies that needed warming we would heat up lactated ringers and wrap that in a towel and the warm the babies by wrapping them around the wrapped warmed bag. I personally would use a hot water bottle and your body heat.

Well - I'm a large woman....so I use the "put em in the bra" method....works quite well.

I have saved many cold bunnies and the best method I have so far is a blow dryer on low and waving it fast and quite a few inches away from the bunny. I slowly turn the bunny and get it warmed up. Then they need to maintain their body heat before they can eat. I have found that bunnies that have gotten cold very easily get cold again. I like to put a hot water bottle (or even a pop bottle with warm water in it) in a box and put the bunnies either on it or around it for quite a few hours before I even try to return them to the nest. A chilled bunny that nurses is often a dead bunny.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I would use water bottles as well. LOL put em in the bra!
I was told to do that by another lionhead breeders and several lionhead breeds that I know use that method.

Of course - its much easier to do with a lionhead (especially if you have two or three) than it is to do with a flemish giant!

I had a whole litter of satins in April that I had to warm. I set them in a pillow case and set that over a register in the living room. and I just kept checking them. The cloth warms pretty quick and it warmed their bodies without being too hot.

I put rice in one of those heavy white cotton socks.

Warm it in the microwave till it's quite warm. If I feel it's too warm I will put a facecloth around it.

This will mold to the bunnies body. I find this method really warms the bunny up quite fast. I had a couple of bunnies in the past that I honestly wasn't sure they were going to make it through the night.:sickbunny: This method warmed them up quite fast.

When the sock cools just microwave it again.

Susan:nod

I rubbed them gently in between my hands as if you were trying to start a fire with sticks. I did it to the little runt who has now turned into my little girl Etta. Almost lost her at 6 days when I found her way outside the box.

Latest posts

Back