What makes the rex fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
i just rescued a pregnant female about 3 weeks ago. She gave birth about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Some of the babies look like they are going to have the rex fur type and some look like they have normal fur. how do you get rex fur from two parents that have normal fur? Both mom and dad where mix's of some sort but have the normal fur coat. if anyone knows that would be great. thanks

Rex fur is recessive. If both parents carry that recessive gene, they can produce rex furred offspring.

Pam

massie777 wrote:
what would you call a rabbit that has a mix of the two, rex fur and normal fur. i have a few babies where the fur is not quite rex but just a more coarse normal fur. Is this common and what do i call their fur type?

You can just refer to it as a normal coarse coat. It's common inrabbits that are crossed with Mini Rex.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Rex fur is recessive. If both parents carry that recessive gene, they can produce rex furred offspring.

Pam

So neither parent has to be a rex to produce rex offspring?

If you breed two rex rabbits will the offspring always be rex?

I know nothing about rabbit breeds, breeding, etc.

Are some rabbits double registered like some horses? Example: Palomino is a color breed and can be registered as such but if the horse is say a Quarter Horse it would also be a registered Quarter Horse.

Remember Naturestee's foster Jazzy and her babies? Several of them had rexy fur, some had kinky fur, and one was even a dutch! Some bunnies you never know what they carry.

luvthempigs wrote:
pamnock wrote:

Pam

So neither parent has to be a rex to produce rex offspring?

If you breed two rex rabbits will the offspring always be rex?

I know nothing about rabbit breeds, breeding, etc.

Are some rabbits double registered like some horses? Example: Palomino is a color breed and can be registered as such but if the horse is say a Quarter Horse it would also be a registered Quarter Horse.
Yes. Two rex-rabbits will always produce rex offspring.
If you breed a rex to a normal-coated rabbit, all of them will have normal fur but carrying the recessive gene for rex. If these offspring are bred to another normal-furred rex-mix (or a purebred rex) you can get babies with rex-fur.
This is how the minirex came to be (in Norway at least) they were standard rexes who were bred to dwarf rabbits.

Yes. Because it is recessive, crossing a Rr to another Rr will give you RR, Rr, and rr. rr in this case would be rex-coated, all the others are normal coated, Rr is normal coated rex carriers.

ZakuraRabbit wrote:

So neither parent has to be a rex to produce rex offspring? Correct

If you breed two rex rabbits will the offspring always be rex? Yes (although rex may carry some rare mutations such as waved or furless coats that they can also produce).

Are some rabbits double registered like some horses?No - There is only one organization that has a rabbit registry in the US (ARBA), and the rabbits are only registered as one breed.

Mendel did his gene research with sweet peas. What he found out is that it is possible for any trait to come to the fore that is in the genetic record--all in how the genes and chromosones splice back together from the male and female pairing. Recessive traits are just that, and need extra help to come to the fore--hemophilia in the European Royals is a case in point--they were all cousins, sharing the same gene pool, and the shallower that pool got, the more problems--another example would be "Ludwig, the Mad"--nuttier than a fruitcake, but did commission some really neat castles.

Latest posts

Back