What kinda poop is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rew

Reaction score
Ok so I know what kinda poop my bunny gives out...but just today he's made 3 massive poops. I'm not talking about the clumping together of small poops, I'm talking about one gianormous poop ball. They look like his cecotrops but really big like 😳 is that normal and is he ok?

I did try introducing him to spinach yesterday. Like a small sample maybe that's caused it? I saw him eat one so I suppose it is like a cecotrop?

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

It is probably unformed cecotropes. It can happen when a new food disrupts the rabbits digestive flora, or it can be caused by too many carbs and sugars in the diet. There are a few other things like meds, other illness, and stress that can cause it too. You could try stopping the spinach and see if that puts things back to normal. If not you may need to make a few more diet changes to get it back to normal. Is this something new or has your bun experienced leftover cecals or ones stuck to his fur before this occurrence?

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/chronic_intermittent_diarrhea_in_rabbits.pdf

Spinach is ok for rabbits but because it is high in oxalates it is sometimes recommended to be fed in limited quantities.

Mmm when he was younger he did have quite a few poops stuck to his underfur. But it's stopped now that he's properly litter trained. I just got him back like a week and bit ago, and had to do some changes to his diet because the lady that I boarded him with made him overweight lol

He's poop was a bit irregular and he had a bit of GI stasis because of the new environment and change of food (I didn't want to get the boarding food because the last time I did it had moth eggs in them that hatched and also it's filled with too much oats and seeds and whatnot). He's fully recovered from GI stasis last week around Thursday/Friday -active, eating and pooping fine

He's diet is just oaten hay and oxbow botanical hay, 2-3 tb spoons of oxbow pellets mixed in with some about 1 tb of store bought pellet mix which has seeds in it (just to get him to eat the healthier pellets) and about 2 cups of veggies in the morning and night. Spinach is something new that I am trying him on. He's had it before, but not for awhile. I'll try stopping it and see how it goes.

It's possible it is related to the recent bout with stasis. It can sometimes take a little while for the GI flora to get sorted after having stasis. It could also have to do with the change of pellets. Any other new foods? See how removing the spinach goes. You may want to hold off on new food introduction til your buns digestive function has normalized for a few weeks. It will also help give it time to recover from the stasis, as the stress of going through that can be hard on their digestive system.

Good point! I thought he was alright because for the past few days he's had no issues and has been acting pretty normal. I don't give him much of a fancy diet coz of his weight and he's been boarding for about 4 months so basically anything I give him is pretty much new again coz I doubt the boarding lady gave him a good diet considering how cubby he got lol with me all he has really is oaten and oxbow botanical hay and veggies. The veggies are the same kind he's had before he went into boarding so he's crazy about them but I have been giving them in small-ish amounts mainly again because of his weight and coz he's 'new' to then again

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

They can seem alright for a while, but the digestive imbalance can be slowly developing until you start noticing the signs. If after stopping the spinach for a few days, if he's still having problems with his poop, I would suggest cutting back on the pellet amounts for a few days, or a week. If the poop goes back to normal, try a more gradual introduction of the pellets, spread out over several weeks, though you may not be able to end up feeding the same amount or the soft poop could return. If it doesn't go back to normal after cutting back the pellets a little, you may have to cut back a little more til you can get the poop and digestive flora to normalize. In some cases pellets have to be cut out completely (usually temporarily) to be able to fix the problem.

Is the oat hay also a new thing? Are there mature seed heads in the hay at all? Oat hay with mature seed heads can also contribute to digestive problems sometimes, because of the carbs in the grain.

The lady I boarded him with gave him oaten hay. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1381207043.449250.jpg
I'm not sure if those are matured seeds or not...

Thanks for the advice tho I might try that! Didnt think about cutting back his pellets since he only has so littler per day...hmm

I give my guy like 2 spinach leaves a week .I've never had problems but he has a huge variety in his diet so it may upset him less. I would assume it could be from him being sick. maybe hold off on introducing new foods since his belly probably isn't back to normal yet?

Latest posts

Back