what kind of hay do you guys use

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi there i justwanted to no what kind of hay do yous use its just we have been gettingoxbow but it has went up to 26.00 pounds in the uk and i think that isfar to much monety

varna xxxx

I get whatever is on sale. Right now we have timothy Kaytee hay.

We buy field hay and alfalfa forpregnant/nursing does and babies. We buy bales from local farmers,usually dairy farmers, the field hay is uslly pretty soft grasses butsometimes there are thistles and dandelions, which the rabbits LOVE! weset those bales aside for just eating, other wise we line cage bottomswith hay and they eat want they want, poop on what they want, or justplay with what they want. The bales are usually $3 and sometimes itsfree depending on who we get it from.

Julia

I get several types of Oxbow hay, but I recentlyfound an online listing for "weed free" mixed grass hay from a farmernear me. The ad is from last year, but I think I'll give hima call when my hay supply gets a little lower and see about buying abale. If it's good quality and the buns like it, I'll besaving soooooo much more money!

well since we dont get timothy hay over here, ibuy my buns oaten hay and they just love the stuff,when i give it tothem they just about dive into it and im sure if they could they wouldeven snort like little pigs lol,i buy a bale of oaten hay a month

cheryl

Hi varna !!
:wave2

OUCH!! That awful expense. Because of the shipping costs probably....right?

I use Kaytee timothy hay....on sale @ PetGoods for $5.99USD/3lbs.

~Jim

$2 a pound JimD?:shock:

My 50lb boxes of Oxbow hay are $1 a pound after shipping and handling, and that's expensive enough!

If they hay I'm looking into is good, it'll be maybe $4 for 50 lbs! I can only hope.:D

naturestee wrote:
$2 a pound JimD?:shock:

My 50lb boxes of Oxbow hay are $1 a pound after shipping and handling, and that's expensive enough!

If they hay I'm looking into is good, it'll be maybe $4 for 50 lbs! I can only hope.:D

Yeppers...that's what I get for livin' in the metro area!!!

I'm use to paying for it and don't have too many alternatives.

I had considered Oxbow, but don't have a distributor near enough thatstocks the quantity I need. Do you order from Oxbow directly?

I could also travel a few hours to buy bulk hay from a farm. Problems are transport (little car)and storage.

~Jim

I split a $12, 90 lb farm bale of Timothy withAurora/Dawn. Great hay! Probably five or sixlargegreen garbage bags crammed full of the stuff for $6 plusgas. :)

Jimd- yeah I order directly from them.And I have nothing but good to say about their service. Ijust got a new box last week. It was shipped the same day andI got it two days later.:D

I actually just started buying Oxbow. I bought a9 lb box of it from rabbitstop.com, and it was only $15.49. Theshipping is was sold me on buying it from there, most online storeswanted more for shipping then the price of the hay. But it was reallyreasonable. Plus I got a few small bags of Oxbow oat hay too.

Directly from Oxbow it would cost me about $60....still a lot cheaper than what I pay now.

At rabbitstop the shipping is cheaper, but you pay double for the hay.

hmmmmmm....

~Jim

I used to buy Kaytee and Nature cafe ect. but itgot too expensive. When I went to a feed store they had bags off hay,like 2x the size of the other bags for $2.99 (If I can remember,compared to half the size for $7.99). I usually buy timothy and bluegrass-oh a little off topic, but does anyone use bluegrass hay? Does ithave high fiber, low protien,low calcium, ect?Mybunnies love it!

I'd get a bale, but my mom's allergic to the dust the hay hasso it wouldn't be fair for her for me to have a big bale.

i always get oxbow but its too exspensive.

im looking for some local horse hay. i live in kentucky so i know its right under my nose! i just cant find it

I get "horse hay." Actually its Timothy hay, butI get a big bale of it. People often wonder if I have a horse. I wonderwhy they think that, I only get one bale. Horses eat a bale or more aday! I separate it and put it into plastic storage bins so it staysfresh. I also make sure to check it for sticks and plastic and othersuch things. Its not dirty I'm just careful. I feel better when I checkit over. ;)

Lissa

wow! a bale or more a day?! our horse only eatsone slice a day...i couldnt imagine him eating a bale a day..lol... ittakes him almost a month to eat a whole bale:D..

for peapoo and petey we usually get kaytee timothy hay.. its about $4at walmart and$4 or $5 at the pet storesfor a largebag of it, but it lasts them a really long time:)

We use a brand we found at Petco called AlfalfaKing, and get it in 1lb resealable bags. When we had justMaisie, it lasted about a week and a half, but now that we have littleFlower, it lasts about three days. So, tomorrow, we're goingto go to a tack and feed place nearby and purchase a whole bale ofhay. Hopefully it's just the right size to last a coupleweeks, but not have a huge amount left over. The 1lb bag ofAlfalfa King costs about $5, and a whole bale of it at the place we'regoing tomorrow will cost about the same! Even if they don'tfinish the whole thing, it'll still be worth it! :)

Here's a picture of the Alfalfa King.
10dih78.jpg

We used to give Maisie Kaytee brand, but she never finished the wholebag before deciding it wasn't fresh enough for her. So, wetried Alfalfa King (which looked much greener), and she now comesrunning (the bunny equivalent, anyway) to the top floor of her cagewhere she eats, in excitement of the smell of the fresherhay. :)

peapoo_bunny wrote:
wow! a bale or more a day?! our horse only eats one slice aday...i couldnt imagine him eating a bale a day..lol... it takes himalmost a month to eat a whole bale:D..

for peapoo and petey we usually get kaytee timothy hay.. its about $4at walmart and$4 or $5 at the pet storesfor a largebag of it, but it lasts them a really long time:)
I'm talking about the square bales, possibly weighing40lbs.Maybe the horses at my barn just eat a lot... But I buy it that waybecause it is way cheaper than buying the little bags of it. I believeIcan get one for $4. The little bags they sell last me maybetwo weeks and they cost $10. The bales I get last a while but I'venever had a problem with them going bad.

BunnyLover wrote:
peapoo_bunny wrote:
wow! abale or more a day?! our horse only eats one slice a day...i couldntimagine him eating a bale a day..lol... it takes him almost a month toeat a whole bale:D..

I'm talking about the square bales, possibly weighing40lbs.Maybe the horses at my barn just eat a lot...
yeah thats whatwe have to buy for hotshot...it takes him forever to finish one..maybehe just doesnt like it that much though:?

Latest posts

Back