What keeps you from getting more rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Reading all the threads about bonding. Seeing pictures of bunny fights where bites happened when they were trying to bond, got me thinking. If bonding wasn't an issue and you could bring home 3 more buns and they could all live together. Would you?

I believe bonding and money keeps me from getting more rabbits. Mostly bonding though. I have a huge room the bunnies live in and several more rabbits could fit in there easily. But realistically that would never happen, so I can't get any more bunnies.

I just wondered if other people felt the same way. If everyone could be kept together, happily would you add more to your bunny family?

it would be way easier to have3 bonded together

rather than 3 singles

I also look at space and think about how nice it would be if they could all live together; it really would be fun and nice ;

but it will never happen here

I cannot stand bonding experiences ; they are just too stressful for me
maybe I need your HRS woman LOL

She was really great. Maybe she knows someone in your area lol. If you are really interested I could email her and see if she knows someone in that area. Her technique was really good and just not something I ever read but so simple.

Space: we have 2 sets of pairs that do not get along with each other, so the apt is divided in half between them

Money: I have to buy Oxbow hay because the bf is very allergic to local farmer's hay. We feed a high-veggie diet (1c/2lbs of bunny/day). I worry about having to take them to the vet for an emergency and it costing upwards of $1000. I only keep around $1000/each of my two bunnies plus extra for other emergencies in my emergency account.

Time: Sometimes I barely have time to feed the buns in the morning, plus I only clean litterboxes once a week at the moment. My boxes are big and not smelly, and the one that gets used a LOT I have an extra one of, so I just put the dirty one on the back porch halfway through the week and wait to clean it until Sunday. This worked great in the frozen winter, but with summer coming and neighbors with adjoining porches, it may not last long.

It certainly isn't for lack of bunnies that I would love to take! It seems I always have a favorite at the shelter, right now it's a broken castor rex girl who's as sweet as ice cream. :D

I know that is one thing that got me thinking about this. There are so many cute bunnies I would love to take in. If I could get them all to get a long in one room I would do it. But I know they won't get a long so it throws that thought out the window.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was really curious how much bonding effected the number of rabbits people have, but it seems that there are a lot of other reasons people have for not getting another bunny and it just isn't bonding.

I actually really enoy bonding and have done it for those who adopt from the RSPCA. I think mine are just too bonded to me to be bonded by me, if that makes sense.

That totally makes sense. That is great that you enjoy bonding. I have noticed on the boards that you give a lot of great advice on the bonding threads.

Vet bills.

Rabbits are beautiful and there really are so many "I wants" out there, but unless I come upon a very critical situation at this point I'll full for the time being.

The initial cost of adding another bunny doesn't seem like much right up front (IMO) even with preliminary vetting, but through time things really tend to add up.

I have Care Credit and pet insurance - but I don't just have rabbits. I have 3 dogs and cats as well. Right now one of my cats is having some heafty vetting going on and believe me, now is not the time to be low on funds, even with CC and Insurance.

I would probably have 3 (as opposed to 2) if it weren't for the bonding issues. Vet bills are a part as well, but mainly it's the bonding. We were all happy after a long bonding process with my last two bunnies. When Pete passed away I knew I wanted another, and I knew Toot would be happier. We now have second bunny, but bonding is REALLY a pain with Toot. She is terrible. And I think I stress more than the bunnies do. My heart just aches when she is mean to my sweet little adoptee. I know that it'll all work out, it's just difficult to even see how to get to that point sometimes.
Bonding is definitely a big concern and I just assume that 2 buns is my limit. At least so long as we have Toot. And honestly I'm not sure I could go through the whole process with Toot again after this bonding.. so I'm really hoping Walter lives a long, happy life.

Bonding took over a year for our two to become friends and we are very pleased with the results.
We haven't encountered expensive vet bills so money isn't an issue.

The main reason we don't get more rabbits is that we worry about who can take care of ours if we have to go away for holidays. I have many friends who can do it, but it gets harder if you have more than two rabbits.
By not getting anymore, so we can spare the time and space to bunnysit other peoples rabbits which we also enjoy.

By the way, we are getting a friends rabbit today for a month, while the familyis going away for a cruise. :D

Probably the fact that I know I have the strongest bond with both of my buns, because we spend so much time together. If I got more then I would worry I wouldn't be able to share my time between them as much as I would want to.
Also- the money would play a part too.

But basically I just love having two and I have all my time to give them as much love as I can :D

if i didnt have my dogs and cats and the lizard i would get another bun, of course if i didnt have to worry about bonding them all.

But with the animals i have , even if bonding wasnt going to be a problem i wouldnt get anymore i have my hands more then full with the animals i have, and then money situations, one incident with any of the animals can wipe out what lil money i have,lol.

I so dont enjoy bonding i think i stress way more then they do,lol, i am such a worry wart when it comes to the buns,ugh god, i am dreading bonding Belle and Charger.

Im a worry wart too. I'm trying to bond Benji and Pippin- it's going promisingly, but I'm still such a worrier, which isn't good for the buns.

But to be honest I worry about absolutely everything. Which is so annoying. But twice my over-unbelievably obsessive worrying paid off majorly. It saved the life of my puppy and my cat, and tbh if I hadn't have been such a worrier, we might have been too late.
So on the basis of that....i worry lol!!!!!
Hopefully it will go- I'm hoping it's just my immaturity of being 18, with any luck.

jcottonl02 wrote:
Hopefully it will go- I'm hoping it's just my immaturity of being 18, with any luck.

haha! I used to not worry too much. It probably started to get worse when I was around 20. I'm now 22 and it's so bad. My boyfriend takes my dog out without a leash. She CAN be dog aggressive (though she would never just charge a dog and attack, and she's a small dog) and I just worry so much whenever he takes her. And two years ago I would let her out the back door, call her inside 10 minutes later and not have a concern about it. Now I can't even WATCH out the window if he takes her out. Yet nothing has ever happened. I don't know what my problem is, I feel like my mother! Hopefully you won't get as bad as me, but I always thought I was a very laid back person, now I can't stand the anxiety I feel over stupid things that I never would have thought twice about in the past. But I can totally relate the the bonding stress, needless to say.

Goodo- I'll look forward to years of worrying lol :D.

I didn't used to be such a worrier. It started about 2 years ago, and now I'm such a worrier lol.

But I'm beggiiinnngg it will go.

It's odd- but it only happens with people or animals i love. Nothing else really. Just those I'm close to. I think of the worst thing that could happen in whatever situation they are in, and worry about it until it doesn't happen lol.

The vet bills when I thought storm was sick just a few days ago on a discount.

It cost upward of 400 bucks and there was nothing wrong it was like his yearly. I dont think room is a issue or bonding I have it set up to where if I get a second rabbit i can keep one upstairs and one down.

Money is the main issue for me. Vet bills really rabbit are very expensive to treat. And my dog or cat I can do anything at home I know all about them. But rabbits I have to go to a vet.

Basically just space, technically speaking. I have about 10 holes right now dedicated to my rabbitry.

After college, I do plan on expanding somewhat. But I never want to go over 20 adult buns. I really value the individual time I get to spend with my bunnies and if I had any more than that, time wouldn't be possible for each rabbit. That would make it a lot less fun for me.

Cost is actually not so much of an issue. I know how to treat most things myself, so our rabbits rarely need veterinary attention. :) That's always nice.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Cost is actually not so much of an issue. I know how to treat most things myself, so our rabbits rarely need veterinary attention. :) That's always nice.

I know I can call up a few breeders for help before I go to a Vet now.

And getting another bunny is so easy as most of the breeders and the people at the shelter all know me. :blushan:

TIME and space! :p

Though we did start bonding attempts again.

Space is my major issue, with vet bills coming in second.

As far as vet bills, we've been blessed to not have had a lot of issues. We also know someone who could help with some things in an emergency, and might also be able to get us some discounts, if it came down to it.

Space is the major issue right now. I guess we could technically take in more, if we wanted to divide the apt into more territories. Nick and Amelia were here a year before Tobi came to us, so they were used to having the living room and dining room to themselves. Tobi ended up in the computer room, where the other two weren't allowed to go anyway. Sadly, Tobi cannot come out and romp around like the other two can. (She does get some run time in the hallway a couple times a week, and her pen is large.) The computer room is really cramped with her in there.

We are in the process of buying a house (as long as nothing goes wrong!). We were originally planning on getting something much larger than our apartment, to but allow us to foster several bunnies. We ended up falling in love with a house that's only a bit larger than our apt, but is really nice and fits most of our needs. Our first order of business will be to find Tobi a partner, then to expand her pen to the size of Nick and Amelia's pen.

One thing we're struggling with.....The house has 3 bedrooms, so we were intending on keeping all the bunnies in one bedroom. (Currently, N&A are in the living room, T is in the comp. room.) We aren't really sure how that will work out, as Tobi has been aggressive toward Amelia in the past. Her little snout can reach pretty far through the fence to try to bite, but Amelia wants to stick her nose in to say hello. We're not sure how we're going to schedule run time, etc.

We may also not be able to foster on a long-term basis. But we will certainly have the space to get Tobi a friend. She is bonded to Jason, but she does seem really lonely by herself. Because of the way veggies are bundled and sold, I already have buy enough veg for 4 rabbits, so veg won't cost any more.

Back