What is wrong with this vet!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmas rabbit

Reaction score
:?So for the last week or so, I have been getting little bites on my chest and arms where I usually snuggle Derby when I am holding him. He is scratching but no dandruff, fur loss or sores. As a preventative measure I looked up the dosage of Revolution for rabbits and go to the localvet to purchase some. I tell them the symptons, more mine than his, I could have gotten the bites from my daughter's house as she has a cat and dog, or from transporting my son in law to work as he works in a chicken farm. I just wanted to treat Derby to be sure and safe. The dosage for a 6 pound rabbit is a kitten's dosage of .30 for a 60 mg strength. She brings the dosage out and it is 3 times the recommended dosage by Revolution charts. I question her, and she says the vet rechecked the dosage math, not the chart and decided that this was a more adequate dosage. Now he doesn't have any symptons other than a bit of scratching, but his bunny mommy has a few bites. I send her back with the chart from Revolution to recheck with another vet, and she comes back with an apology and a new vial of .25 the recommended dosage for a kitten about his size. If I hadn't questioned the original, just how sick would they have made a 13 week old bunny. I am glad that they are not doing his neutering, but he is going back to the bunny responsible vet out of town. Moral of the story is to treat your animals like they were your children and be very careful about what is prescribed for them.:?

if youre giving the kitten tube thats .3ml at a strength of 60mg per ml.. Thats not strong enough.
If you start giving animals drugs that are not up to their proper dose, its not strong enough to kill any bugs on them and will simply help those bugs create an immunity to the drug.

Rabbits are NOT cats, and a rabbit dosage should be TWICE what a cat or dog receives. Sounds like that first vet you went to, had it right to begin with.
Revolution dosage is 18mg/kg and can safely be given higher if necessary and more often then once a month. Revolution is a very safe drug, its just stinky.
With Darbys weight he should be getting almost 50mg.

Good to know, but I took the info right off of the revolution website and the dosage recommended by them for rabbits. 5.5 pounds - .25 of 60 mg
6.6 pounds - .30 of 60 mg.
It was the dosage for rabbit not kittens. If he is still having problems then in 2 weeks when he need another dosage we will up it. At this point it was more preventative than anything else. thanks for the advice.

Revolution is not going to provide dosages on their website as using the drug for rabbits is off label. The idea of getting revolution is to have a vet perscribe the drug and provide you with the proper dose not for people to decide how much they want to use on their own then ask for that. I have never seen Pfizer provide a chart for rabbit dosages, can you share where you found this chart?

The information I have about the drug is their off label instructions directly from Pfizer, provided only to vets as well as from a veterinary drug dosage book.

Derby should be getting almost 1 full entire tube of Revolution Brown to dose him properly.

That vet was smart enough to actually look up the dosage themselves which is nice, they didn't go by what cats and dogs get like most others, I would put more faith in the first vet. Its nice to be able to provide regular protection to your pets with revolution however if its not done at a proper dose its best not used at all. Revolution is a very safe drug and even in my info from Pfizer they discuss tests done up to 10x the recomended dose on rabbits with no issues.

The recommended dose (from Pfizer and as from my research above) is 6 mg of selamectin per kg of animal body weight. The smallest size tube is the Kitten strength (Mauve package) which contains .25 mL of liquid containing 60 mg/mL of selamectin.

60 mg per 1 mL = 6mg per.1 mL. So, an animal which weighs 1000 grams (1 kg) needs to have a dose of .1 mL. Since the tube contains .25 mL, it contains 2 and a half doses for this animal. To subdivide further, for every 100g of weight, add .01 mL (which is the tiniest marking interval on this syringe).

http://blog.allcreaturesrescue.org/...-parasite-control-in-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs/

Alma & Kim - Neither of those are the Pfizer website, there for the information cannot be trusted.
If you think you have heart problems, are you going to google to look for a drug dose or are you going to talk to your doctor and the company of the drug that best suits you?

Drog dosing needs to come from Veterinary drug dosage books and directly from the company that produces the drug. Not from random websites found with a google search. The issue with medicating small animals is that most people assume its safest to drug the animal the same as they would drug a kitten or puppy. This is not true and can be VERY dangerous. Drug companys are only going to provide proper information about drugging and dosages for off label animals, DIRECTLY to the veterinarian, not to the public.
Vets that do not bother or just dont care to spend the time to contact the company and get the proper drug dosage for you are just going to recomend the puppy/kitten dose. PROPER research needs to be done, by the vet, and that DOES NOT include finding random websites like those 2 that have simply made the same assumption as the vets who chose not to contact the company.

I have spent weeks gathering information on test results and proper drug dosages for a number of drugs directly from the veterinary small animal drug dosage books as well as directly from the companys including in this case, Pfizer. Just so I could have the proper doses to give to people on here if needed for these common drugs.

In any case, sometimes depending on the type of mite or flea in the situation the dose can vary but again revolution is a very safe drug and youre better safe then sorry. Use the stronger dose.

Not only is under dosing a waste of money but can cause the pest to build up immunity of the drug requiring either an even stronger dose or a different drug which you may not be able to get. But if you want to use those random online doses, go for it, but please do not bash vets for doing the research and calculating the proper dose, and please advertise incorrect dosages on here.

Rabbits are not cats and we need to stop drugging them like they are.

There appears to be alot of contraverse on this topic. There was almost the same discussion on Revolution Dosage, Hare Care/ Nov 14, 2010. The second vet who perscribed Derby's dosage said the vet guideline were anywhere from 15-18 mg/kg for severe cases ( Derby had no symptons other that a wee bit of scratching, and bites on my arms) or more mature rabbits to 6mg/kg of selamectin for younger animals. Although Derby is a good size he is still a baby, so I am glad I was prescribed the later. As it was he did have a reaction to the drug as he laid on the floor and whimpered and chose to sit under an open window for several hours. My feeling is he was nauseated and just not himself. I will be asking my rabbit savey vet in Winfield her opinion before I redose him in 3-4 weeks. Possibly he needs Advantage not Revolution. I guess my question is and I don't want to offend anyone, especially those who work with vets, by my question. Why is it that identical bugs found on cats, dogs and rabbits are to be treated different. Watermelon says that rabbits require 2X the dosage. I am curious as to why??

Its all about how their bodys metabolize the drug. Animals like guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, birds, etc have a much faster metabolism then dogs and cats.

Some of my drug info sheets here show dogs and cats would get the same dose as bunnys (like for Benadryl) but its all about how the drug is absorbed by the body (in the case of revolution it is the skin) and how it is expelled (Lungs, kidneys, liver, etc)

Often if an animal is having a reaction to a topical drug its because they managed to get some in their mouth or the smell is getting to them. I personally HATE the smell of revolution and advantage and the residu it leaves on the animals coats (more or less short haired animals like my dog, dont have an issue with the bunnys).

Other drugs I would be a lot more cautious about the dosing, but revolution is very safe, especially since its topical and not oral or injectable. Be careful with advantage, I've had some people complain that while using it, it starts to loose its effectiveness after the 2nd or 3rd week rather then lasting a full 4+ weeks. Its not the most effective against mites and lice and other bugs but will treat them minorly off label.

Latest posts

Back