what is the process of getting a new color accepted?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
My friend and I both raise/show am. fuzzy lops and have been thinking about working on tri fuzzy lops. They are not accepted right now and we were thinking about taking on this feat. Where would I look to find out what we would have to do for this process. I realize it isn't for the faint of heart, as it is a hard road to pass new colors or breed as I am finding out.

thanks
sheila

web.me.com/sheandg

It would be better to contact the ARBA they can tell you everything you need to know instead of a bunch of defrent people telling you. You can hear everything you need to know from one person....

American Rabbit Breeders Association, Inc
PO BOX 5667
Bloomington, IL 61702
phone: 309-664-7500
FAX: 309-664-0941
email: [email protected]

OFFICE HOURS
Monday - Friday, except holidays
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 12:45 PM to 4:30 PM (CENTRAL TIME)
CLOSED Saturdays and Sundays

I'm assuming Fuzzy Lops are a breed already (I don't know for sure).

You will have to file a request for a "Certificate of Development" with that color with ARBA. One of the parts of the process is developing the standard of perfection for that color. I think you also have to have X amount of breeders committed to helping you with it and they sign a statement to that effect. I want to say it is $50 for the application fee.

ARBA standards committee then looks at your application and decides whether or not to grant the COD.

I think you then enter a three year development process - to work on the colors before presenting them before the committee.

Once that happens - you then present at the convention.

Now here is the tricky part - if I remember right.

Once you present at convention and pass - then it goes before the national club for your breed to decide whether or not to allow the process to continue. If they vote that they would not accept the color - then I want to say that the process is dead in the water. If they vote to continue - then you have to present and pass two more times in the next four years (five years total to pass three times).

I hope this helps. This is what I remember from various discussions about lionheads, etc - and of course - the process might have changed or (GASP)- I could just be wrong!

At one time I was looking into doing a COD for lionheads....and this was what I was told.

TinysMom wrote:
I'm assuming Fuzzy Lops are a breed already (I don't know for sure).

You will have to file a request for a "Certificate of Development" with that color with ARBA. One of the parts of the process is developing the standard of perfection for that color. I think you also have to have X amount of breeders committed to helping you with it and they sign a statement to that effect. I want to say it is $50 for the application fee.

ARBA standards committee then looks at your application and decides whether or not to grant the COD.

I think you then enter a three year development process - to work on the colors before presenting them before the committee.

Once that happens - you then present at the convention.

Now here is the tricky part - if I remember right.

Once you present at convention and pass - then it goes before the national club for your breed to decide whether or not to allow the process to continue. If they vote that they would not accept the color - then I want to say that the process is dead in the water. If they vote to continue - then you have to present and pass two more times in the next four years (five years total to pass three times).

I hope this helps. This is what I remember from various discussions about lionheads, etc - and of course - the process might have changed or (GASP)- I could just be wrong!

At one time I was looking into doing a COD for lionheads....and this was what I was told.
That sounds really close cause that was what I was told along time ago when one of my friends was trying to help with the mini rex breed and I always wanted to do a COD fora mini rex variaty but just never done it and know I am thinking of doing know cause I would love to see andAMBER mini rex plus it would help the red breeders but you have got to have money to do it and I was layed off OCT 12 2009 so cant do it right now and the reason I told sheandg to email the ARBA cause it would be easier just in case they did change somthing up.........Toby

Toby,

While I am sure that ARBA probably has changed some things up - I am also not certain how long it would take them to answer an email or if they would simply mail the information out (which could take longer).

I do agree that contacting ARBA is the best way to go (just not always the fastest) and so I wanted to share what I did know so that they can think about it while they wait for a response.

TinysMom wrote:
Toby,

While I am sure that ARBA probably has changed some things up - I am also not certain how long it would take them to answer an email or if they would simply mail the information out (which could take longer).

I do agree that contacting ARBA is the best way to go (just not always the fastest) and so I wanted to share what I did know so that they can think about it while they wait for a response.
You are so right about it all I was not saying anything bad about anything and I dont want you to take it in the wrong way I just agreed with you and sorry if you took it the wrong way I am not a mean person at all.......Toby

Yeah never email them. Just call them. They're helpful and answer in 5 minutes and any other questions that pop up, instead of emailing and it taking who knows how long.

Back