What is happening? (matted fur?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basicbunny

Reaction score
Hi, I have a rabbit and have had him for a few years now. I don't know what this is, 👇 is it a mat? Thanks for all the help.IMG_8782.jpegIMG_8784.jpeg

A pet safe fur trimmer is an excellent tool for such work, and to keep the fur shorter in the nether regions for when a bunny is a lazy cleaner or gets older, or fur tends to mat for no reason.

This one looks like most of it should come off pretty easily, I would hold the fur at the skin and gently work it out with the other hand, or cut it out with the trimmer. Might be difficult though if your rabbit isn't used to that kind of handling.

He only likes ear massages. I did try gently pulling it out put it would not come out. That was 2 days ago though. Thanks for the help!

Rabbits can be pretty hard to handle when you try to do something they don't like.
A lot of people make a "bunny burrito" which means wrapping the rabbit in a towel so they can't struggle.
That mat needs to be removed, as it's dirty and will only get bigger. Then it could catch on something.
The easiest way would be to take a small pair of scissors and cut it off without pulling the skin. Grab the mat close to the skin with your fingers to avoid cutting the skin.

Rabbits can be pretty hard to handle when you try to do something they don't like.
A lot of people make a "bunny burrito" which means wrapping the rabbit in a towel so they can't struggle.
That mat needs to be removed, as it's dirty and will only get bigger. Then it could catch on something.
The easiest way would be to take a small pair of scissors and cut it off without pulling the skin. Grab the mat close to the skin with your fingers to avoid cutting the skin.
Thank you for the help! But it actually came out by itself!

Latest posts

Back