what is going on here???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Ok, this is weird, but one of Tank's 4 wk oldbabies is mounting his siblings. Yes, I'm absolutely sure of theage--what's up with that? He can't possibly be sexually mature yet, canhe? Is this a dominance thing? Does that mean he'scertainly amale? I heard females do that too rarely, am I right?

And do I need to separate yet? I was planning to keep them together at least 6 weeks.

This did not happen in any of the other litters--anyone else see this behavior at such a young age?

Bunnies are weird.....

Rose

At this age, it's just "play acting" as they won't reach sexual maturity until a minimum of about 12 weeks of age.

Yes, females may also mount members of either sex. As long asthe little stinker isn't fighting with it's siblings, you can leave itwith the others until you wean at 6 weeks. Keep a close eyeout for any signs of aggression towards the other bunnies though.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Atthis age, it's just "play acting" as they won't reach sexual maturityuntil a minimum of about 12 weeks of age.

Yes, females may also mount members of either sex. As long asthe little stinker isn't fighting with it's siblings, you can leave itwith the others until you wean at 6 weeks. Keep a close eyeout for any signs of aggression towards the other bunnies though.

Whew! Thanks Pam. So it could be either sex, then--it's not any indication?

Nope, the "little stinker" (is he ever!) hasn't seemed overlyaggressive except for that. I think they'll be fine. They fight overleaves and treats, but not seriously, just scuffling to take it out ofeach other's mouths.

BTW, they are definitely weaned already!! Tank hasn't let them nurse for awhile now, and they seem to eat all solid food.

Again, thanks,

Rose

I've seen little girls mount as well as boys, soit's not an accurate indicator as to the sex of theindividual. It can sometimes indicate a more aggressive alphaindividual though. This is an excellent trait of police dogs,however, not a desired trait in a future pet. I think thatones calling may be as an "attack bunny" LOL

Pam

Good lordy, then I am the proud momma of two female ATTACK RABBITS.....go Jez and Jade!

Cher

My two cents:

If he is mounting his siblings that does not necessarily mean that heis a male. I have a doe that loves to mount otherdoes.

Five weeks is the best time to wean.

:)

They're the size of 8 wk olds, and eating likehorses. Mom Tank has to fight to get her share of food. These are BIGbabies!!! I think she weaned because they were biting. I don't blameher! They sure are healthy, though!

Rose

Latest posts

Back