What is breeding bunnies like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill-Hutch

Reaction score
I really want to start breeding mini lops if my mom says it would be OK.

But I thought I'd ask you guys, whats having a rabbitry like?
I do understand its hard work caring for a buck and a handful of does as well as their kits.

What are the standards of Mini Lop breedings?

Do a lot of people buy mini lops?

I won't be starting for another couple of years, probably when fuzzy's like 4-5 I'll start looking at does, but I just wanna know if theres anything you guys can tell me about breeding.

Thanks!

When I first started breeding rabbits I was 12. I had been around baby bunnies a lot before since my best-friend's family raised New Zealands (I think they had about 20 does...we counted a total of 79 rabbits including youngsters one day).

Anyway, for me, it was really cool to see what the babies looked like just hours after birth (I even got to WATCH one litter being born). It can be kind of stressful, though, too because some does will wait for days after their due date to kindle and you start second guessing your assessment that she was pregnant. Or, that the nestbox has been in there too long and she might decide it's a litter box instead >.<

There's also the heartbreak of having kits die--stillborns aren't uncommon--or sometimes a mom will go berserk and kill the kits or else accidentally trample them (we had one doe who killed her first three litters when they were each about a day or two old...the only litter she kept was one she had after she'd been retired to a lawn bunny and one of the bucks got loose; she had those kits under the shed so we had to catch feral babies a couple weeks later). With dwarfs, you sometimes get peanuts which are born alive but usually won't live more than a day or so (although there are documented cases of them living to a couple years with amazing care). Mini lops aren't dwarfs, though, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

I always love seeing the smiles on people's faces when they get to come around to pet the baby bunnies (the neighbor kids especially). And their grins get bigger when they get to take one home as a pet (with a packet of care instructions and my contact info).

Sometimes, though, not all of the kits are adopted and I have to make room for that rabbit until I can find a home for it.

When you have pregnant does or young rabbits, you go through feed ridiculously fast, and the expenses stack up, to be marginally offset when the babies are sold (usually still no profit, though).

I think mini lops would sell well as pets (they're probably the first breed I'd consider for a pet for my daughter if she didn't want to make one of my larger buns a pet). I like their temperament a lot better than the dwarf breeds, and they're still cute with their lop ears and come in lots of colors.

As far as standard, do you mean conformation-wise, as in how the rabbit's look? Or do you mean standard practices like how often to breed, etc.?

I will warn you though, that starting a buck breeding at 4-5 he may not still be fertile. Some bucks are, but many aren't, especially if they've never been bred before. You can always try, but be prepared to just let him be a pet and have to adopt another buck as your stud.

I'm really glad you're being so responsible about breeding! :)

I can't tell you what breeding rabbits is like but when I was younger my mum used to breed Toy Poodles. I loved seeing the puppies after they were born and socializing them as they grow is very rewarding! :) Good luck

We do have an accidental litter of kits sired by my fuzzy and the doe eats a bag of food a day! Hahaha!

I'll be talking to mom about it and i'll see if anyone of the rabbit people at state and at the county would be interested in babies from fuzzy. I think if i did start breeding, the first doe would be popcorn. Shes a broken agouti!

But thanks for all the info!

We raised a litter of mini schnauzers, plus our little litter of kits! My grandpa raises meat cows too.
Im very excited!

Im around 12 myself so it'll be neat to see!

For me its about bettering the breed and having a love for it. Not just seeing the cute babies, yes that's a great part, but there is also the hard part of seeing babies die, and for me... Well I refuse to sell as pets. You can't just say oh I have these two rabbits so I'll just start breeding them together. You start with the best possible only to try to make them MUCH better. You have to grow a pretty tough skin to deal with people who don't understand, as well as what needs to be done in the rabbitry. There is a lot of fun, but there is a TON of hard work, and there is always a bad side to every good side.

I am on my 3rd and 4th litter.. my first litter, didn't happen... she turned out not to be pregnant... my 2nd litter, different rabbit... was horrible. She had two kits, they both got stuck and I had to manually remove them after they were half way out... they were not alive. It was a fairly long process, and she was in some pain from it. But she faired okay, but seeing the babies as they were was harsh... they were very elongated and because of the doe pulling on them trying to get them out, there was some skin tearing on the babies... I am not trying to scare you or be too graphic, but this is how it is.
My 3rd litter was born today, and I just lost one of the babies... it got knocked out of the nest box, got chilled and couldn't come back. I worked for over 60 minutes trying to save that baby...
My next litter is due in a week, and I am praying it goes okay... It is the same doe that had the two stuck kits...

Having kits die is hard, and can get you depressed about continuing, but if you can keep a level head, and research and understand all that CAN happen, and not panic or be 'grossed out' by blood, or things like a doe that might accidentally chew off a limb of a kit.. than you might be up for raising rabbits... I raised kittens alot and have alot of experience in the animal husbandry field, so I don't panic or get grossed out my much while it is happening... maybe afterwards, but in a emergency, I can think pretty clearly. I think that in animals that can turn so quickly, you need to be able to think rationally in an emergency...

Hope that helps...

Good Luck!!!

Back