What is a peanut?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I asked another breeder today how to tell the difference between a peanut and a dwarf when it comes to lionheads. Some lionheads carry the dwarfing gene - others don't. (The majority don't - at least as far as I've seen).

I asked because Mona Kea has a litter of 7 but one is tinier than the others - yet is eating ok.

The breeder shared this link with me and I thought it would be good for other breeders if they wonder if they have a peanut in their litter. The description of the ears being far back on the head was what helped me realize that my little one is a peanut.

http://www.geocities.com/mnd_rabbitry/Peanut.html

If Mona will let me have the babies again tomorrow for a little bit - I may take a picture and share my peanut with y'all. I am really hoping he/she makes it because sometimes they do manage to live.

Here is the link to a story about a peanut that lived for 17 months:

http://www.geocities.com/mnd_rabbitry/Peanut.html

Peg

A peanut is a dwarf (such as your lionhead) that carries a double-dwarfing gene. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I know that they are usually much less developed and are oftentimes born dead.

Kat

Your rabbit has what is called a dwarfing gene probably (I forget what type of rabbit you have). When a rabbit has two dwarfing genes (one from mom and one from dad) - then it is what is called a "peanut". I just lost one yesterday....it lived 4 days. They are usually unable to survive - although if you read the link I posted about one that last 17 months - you may find it quite interesting!

Peg

i have a mini rex, the guy said the breeder said it had a peanut gene in him??? and he is healthy and normal, does that mean mine is going to die??

HollynRabbits wrote:
i have a mini rex, the guy said the breeder said it had a peanut gene in him??? and he is healthy and normal, does that mean mine is going to die??

Holly,

The term "peanut" is not the name of a gene. It is the name of a condition when a rabbit has TWO dwarfing genes (one from mom and one from dad). The breeder should have stated that your rabbit has a dwarfing gene - which is what makes him a "mini rex".

Most peanuts die within a few days of birth - I did have one that last for about 2 weeks once.

Your rabbit is just fine....enjoy him - and give him a hug for me!

Sorry if we caused you undue stress....your bunny is JUST FINE!

I just wanted a place for people to be able to know what a peanut is and see links for pictures, etc.

Peg

fwuuuu, *relieved* :tears2:i thougth my baby was gonna dye... ugh, that almost made me sick, thanx for the info, and i will give him a big hug for you:happybunny:

KatsMeowTree wrote:
A peanut is a dwarf (such as your lionhead) that carries a double-dwarfing gene. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I know that they are usually much less developed and are oftentimes born dead.

Kat
It is said that when a kit inherits double dwarfing genes - there is something that occurs in the GI tract that inhibits them from being able to properly nurse anddigest milk... hence peanuts normally die within a week - literally from starvation. This is why peanuts look so much thinner than a normal kit.

Generally, double dwarfing IS fatal... but I believe there are numerous other types of dwarfing genes may not be fatal when two are inherited.This mayexplain theone rabbitliving for 17 months... The reason I say this is due to the "Micro Rex" that Rett is working on. Obviously they are much smaller than Mini Rex (about 1/3 the size)... but they live long healthy lives, at the same time are obviously not inheritants of the fatal double dwarfing genes. This just seems to open the doors that there are far more genes in play that have not been mapped yet.

I just thought I'd chime in with that info. :)

Sunnie - you're so right - I forgot about the micro rex....do you have a link to information about them?

Peg

oooh - I've been to that site before but hadn't bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing.

I have tried to save every peanut we've ever had. The longest one lived was 11 days or 14 days or something like that.

I'm going to try to read up on this...thanks so much for sharing it!

:bunnydance:

Hello! I've been doing rabbits for three years but just recently started breeding Dwarf Hotots (we had a litter of 4all white rabbits, with only one having a DQ, about three months ago)and have heard of 'peanuts'. I've been doing a lot of reaseach on them trying to figure out what's wrong with them and why exactly they die,in hope that there may be a way to help them survive. Does anyone know anything about them? The closest I got to realizing all hope was not lost was when I found Rett's micro rabbits. I've found no other indications of any other 'peanuts' ever having survived longer than about a year and a half (and I've spent HOURS looking for webites on 'peanuts'). If anyone can help me please do! Thank you!

Hi! I love dwarf hotots. I have two!

I don't know how to help peanuts survive, but I do know what causes them. As Katsmeowtree said up towards the top, it's a genetic issue where the kit was born with two dwarf genes. Normal dwarfs have one dwarf gene and one regular size gene. Kits will also be born with two regular genes and no dwarf gene.They're larger and are not showable.

I've heard many breeders like using does without dwarf genes as breeders, and they breed them with a buck that has the dwarf gene. This ensures that you will have no peanuts, although more kits will be born without the dwarf gene. The other plus is that larger does have an easier time bearing and birthing kits. Problems like stuck kits are less likely.:D

I'm aware of the genetics behind peanuts. It's one reason I love the breed. There color genetics fascinate me as much as their size genetics. I guess what I trying to ask is what exactly the double recessive causes to be wrong with them (can they not breath,are they incapable of digesting food, ect.) That's what I'm trying to figure out. But thanks for the tip on the big dwarfs. I've already put the method to use. I've breed my large doe to a normal buck. She had four kits in her first litter and is now raising a litter of five.

EgyHotot wrote:
I guess what I trying to ask is what exactly the double recessive causes to be wrong with them (can they not breath, are they incapable of digesting food, ect.) That's what I'm trying to figure out.
SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
It is said that when a kit inherits double dwarfing genes -there is something that occurs in the GI tract that inhibits them from being able to properly nurse anddigest milk... hence peanuts normally die within a week - literally from starvation. This is why peanuts look so much thinner than a normal kit.
I'm going to look for that specific link which I originally learned that info from, hopefully there's more specifics on it that I missed(or just don't remember).

Back