what in the world was he thinking? Bunny jumped on face

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Last night Ned was out of his cage, bouncing around the living room. Background: Ned is a very sweet boy. We've had him for exactly 2 years and he's never bitten or acted grouchy or been anything other than darling. He does give the impression of being a little less... mentally capable than the other rabbits, though. Anyway, he was hopping around the living room and I was lying on the couch. The stairs go right behind the couch and Neddie decided to sit on the stairs so I could pet him. He then decided to get a little closer and jumped ONTO my face. As in, big fuzzy bunny foot in my mouth and scratches on forehead. It's a good thing I wear eyeglasses! He's never done this before and it doesn't seem to have been because he was mad or trying to hurt me. Why did he do it though? Does he not realize my head is my head, or was he being clumsy (he has done some spectacularly clumsy things in his time), or what? I'm so puzzled and would love to hear your thoughts!

Sounds like he's just a clutz! Maybe he thought he could land next to your head, but didn't aim well. Or maybe he just didn't realize it was an issue for you ;-)

My rabbit hasn't done this, but boy do I ever get it from every other animal (cats, dogs, birds). Animals sometimes don't realize we have issues with their claws on our faces.

It's a compliment. He wanted to be closer to you... Actually, I've never figured out why rabbits want to jump up on top of people when they can, but they do. If you lie on the floor, 12 times out of 10, the bunny will come running to jump on your back. Both Scone and Natasha would do it (and Scone would jump from the vet's table to the top of my shoulder or head in one bound as soon as the vet started poking where Scone didn't want to be poked).

I don't mind that. It's when she decides to jump up on the bed in the middle of the night and misjudge the leap, landing on my face. There's nothing like five and a half pounds of flying bunny on your face to wake you up suddenly.

MikeScone wrote:
. There's nothing like five and a half pounds of flying bunny on your face to wake you up suddenly.
:laugh: too funny! I can just see Powder doing that to me one night with his constantly hopping up on my side of the bed.

Benjamin has also landed on my face, walked around for a couple of days with a great big scratch. He had been doing bunny jumps and running around the bedroom in the middle of the night, jumped on bed and raced across my face to other side and back again and then flopped down beside me. I agree that they just want to get close to you and get your attention. Rude awakening from a dead sleep, grouchy response when your face is bleeding. You love them, so you forgive them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, thanks for your input and funny stories, everyone! Elrohwen, your last line made me actually laugh out loud :) I think Nedders is just clumsy and derpy. This is the bunny who on the same night was found behind the kitchen trash can eating a dried out tater tot. I don't remember when I made tater tots last... Thankfully there seem to be no ill effects from his little snack attack.

Latest posts

Back