What in the world is this color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Ok, my last Mini Rex litter was really colorful.I got a black, a white, a castor, a broken black, and a broken mystery! I posted it on another rabbit forum, and a couple of people have guessed broken lynx. The thing is, the mother isn't pedigreed, so I have no idea what is in her background. I have a feeling it's a rainbow of colors, unfortunatly. The doe is broken castor, BTW, and the father is castor.

Here's a pic of it at a week old. I thought it was a blue then, but it sure doesn't look blue now!

BTW, can someone tell me how to post more than one pic in one post?

My vote is on Broken Lynx. Do you have any pics of its head too. At a week old, it looked like Broken Opal. However, in the other pic, looks more orange colored so I am guessing Lynx.

Sharon

Easy tell...

On the colored portion of it's back.... when you blow into the coat, is it a white or light color.... or is it a dark color?

White/Light I would lean towards a Blue Fawn, a poorly colored Opal, or Lynx (my specialty! ;)).
Dark, means Opal for sure.

Honestly though... I'm thinking it's a blue Fawn. Only test breeding would be the sure tell-tale. :?

~Sunshine

I don't see the blue or lilac in it.

It looks like a chocolate agouti to me.

Roger L

Hello Roger & welcome to the Forum!

I have to disagree though... I regularly have Chocolate Agouti's & it looks nothing like that. Ch.Agouti's have a more "rufus" coloring... like Castors. This bun is Definately a dilute.

Here are some Chocolate Agouti pictures:

Resized_GRLND.jpg
Resized_KAHL.jpg
Resized_SWAR.jpg

Here are some Lilac-Fawn Pictures (Clean, no smut):

Resized_FAWNLA.jpg
Resized_PlayDough3.jpg
Resized_PlayDoughSide.jpg

Resized_PlayDoughHead.jpg

Not the greatest pictures, but here is one of a Genetic Blue-Fawn:

Resized_Rumble0001.jpg
Resized_Rumble0003.jpg

And THESEareall True, Genetic Lynx:

Resized_JORD.jpg
Resized_MJ4U.jpg
Resized_MAX.jpg

Resized_STEE.jpg
Resized_SIL.jpg
Resized_CONF.jpg

Resized_BRID.jpg
Resized_BRID1.jpg
Resized_GERA1.jpg

Just to give you some idea of the color differences & similarities.

~Sunshine

Ok, the undercolor is light, I can't tell about band color. It almost looks like it's the same color all the way through. It shouldn't be, though, should it?

BTW, SunnieBunnie, I'm jealous! You have some excellent rabbits there, very beautiful.

Thanks Sunnie,

It must be my monitor or my old eyes LOL.

I am more used toa hands on approach with rabbits. I can't

usually tell much from a picture, especially type. I need to feel

them and blow into their fur.

I breed and show mini-rex in black, castor, otter, red and broken in

those colors. No dilutes there LOL.

Roger L

FWIW, I have two different computers signed onto the same page, and I'm seeing two totally different sets of colors! :D

gentle giants wrote:
Ok, the undercolor is light, I can't tell about band color. It almost looks like it's the same color all the way through. It shouldn't be, though, should it?

BTW, SunnieBunnie, I'm jealous! You have some excellent rabbits there, very beautiful.
It's rather difficult to tell with younger buns since it takes sometime for Lynx to develop their Rings... they're normally in by 3-4months.

The best location to check for any sign of potential future rings in a Junior is on their lower hindquarters... there should be some type of destinguishing Ring definition there... (3 Rings)if there's not - then you most likely have a Fawn there.

And thank you for the compliment on my Rabbits :), The Type and Coloris pretty much where I like it, maybe just a touch of improvement needed- but I need to improve on fur Density - I'd like to see it thicker personally ;).

RogerL wrote:
Thanks Sunnie,

It must be my monitor or my old eyes LOL.

I am more used toa hands on approach with rabbits. I can't

usually tell much from a picture, especially type. I need to feel

them and blow into their fur.

I breed and show mini-rex in black, castor, otter, red and broken in

those colors. No dilutes there LOL.

Roger L

Welcome to the forum Roger - glad to see another breeder on board.

And I'd love to help - but I'm HORRID at colors.

Peg

I took another look at the undercoat of the mystery baby. Bottom ring looks white, other than that so far there is only the top color.

BTW, I am celebrating! I finally managed to get bred two does that have been resisting being bred for several months! My chin buck Duke, to my black doe Black Rose, and to my chin doe Grey Lady. I can't wait to see the kits from these matches!

Thanks Peg,

I have been a member for awhile now but have not been around much.

I like what's been done with the forum!

Roger L

I wish I could help, but our colours are labled differently here in New Zealand! I'd call that a broken sooty fawn but it isn't orange enough for that really.

Heres a picture of one of my kits at 16 days old, he's what we term a broken sooty fawn. He's also a mini lop which (to make it even more confusing) is just like a holland lop in most countries!

Awwwww, sweet baby!
You're right, it is more orange than my baby is. I think I am going to have to take it to a show and ask a judge, which was suggested on hereby someone previously. Makes me feel really silly, taking in a rabbit that I bred and going, "what is this thing, anyway?!" LOL
:shock::D

Latest posts

Back