What I have learned about Hopscotch in 24 hours!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redjess

Reaction score
We adopted Hopscotch yesterday, a 6 month old Flemish Giant! I have owned a bunny before, but I can already tell we are on a new learning curve with our new big girl! :biggrin:

1) There is not a bed, tube or hut in any the 3 pet stores by our house large enough to fit our pretty girl! We had to shop in the dog and cat section.

2) Both of my cats seem to be coming around, very curious, but very cautious! It doesn't help that Hopscotch is not afraid of them at all so she keeps trying to play with them. So with her being 9lbs, the cats are freaked out by this alien creature charging at them to play.

3) My cats are ignoring me, because of me bringing this alien creature into the home. lol

4)When bunny proofing your home for a bigger bunny, crawling around down low and bunny proofing just quite doesn't cut it! After I got out of the shower (yes Hopscotch follows me to all rooms) I found out that Hopscotch can stand on her back feet to reach on the bathroom counter. So R.I.P to my favorite bra that she pulled off the counter and then chewed the bra straps in half, yes both straps. :biggrin:

6) A rabbit can make you fall head over heels in love with them in less than 24 hours. (I think it was love at first sight.)

Aren't these big babies adorable. Benjamin is 15 pounds, a very large armful and affectionate as heck. He has a similiar episode with a bra. My mother in law was rabbit sitting and was reminded to put her clothes up high at night. She forgot and awoke to Benjamin running around the bedroom wearing her bra around his ears. Lucky for him she is very well endowed and it fit not bad. The dog and cat at our house respect the fact that Benjamin is boss. Love at first sight is a definite for some of these creatures.

That is so funny, abunny in a bra! Yes these babies are adorable, I think I have said, "Awwww look at the bunny." about 200 times in the last day. I am very surprised on how comfortable she is around us in such a short time. I'm not sure what I was expecting, I think a very scared, stressed and nervous bunny being in a new home. She has adjusted so well. She is so friendly and an attention HOG! I'm so glad to be meeting someone with a "dainty" one as well. This breed and size is new to me and it is nice to know people I can get advice from!

Congratulations on adopting Hopscotch! I am not far from you. I live in the Daytona Beach area and am associated with Gainesville Rabbit Rescue. We also have several volunteers located in Orlando and would be happy to help you with anything you may need. Is Hopscotch spayed? If not, we have a low-cost program available for only $65. If you need any advice let me know and I will PM you with my phone number.

No she is not and you must be the lady I am looking for. I talked to my vet today and he is full of rabbit knowledge BUT he stopped spaying rabbits! He gave me another vet's phone number only to find out this guy does checkups, nails and only fixes male rabbits. I want to get her spayed and I need to get her a check up. She was covered with fleas when we got her yesterday, my vet helped with that today, poor bunny. I was going to take her to my vet next week to get everything checked, I wanted to give her time to settle before I stressed her out more. So any help would be great! Thank you

P.S. I was told that Hopscotch is a girl, I have not personally checked yet. The people we got her from weren't 100 percent positive, but said the breeder they got her from said it was a she. lol

Our most excellent vet is Dr. Alicia Emerson with the Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic in Port Orange - about an hour from you. Dr. Emerson has had advanced training in exotics and is truly the best. I trust her with my own rabbits lives. If driving an hour each way is OK for you, then let me know. I will PM you my phone number. Again, it's $65 and includes everything. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

A great vet is worth the drive. I laugh every time I hear about someone bunnproofing--they are so darn smart it is a real challenge and anything they can fit their mouth on is chewable.

bunny proofing: I just had a friend come over and laugh because I have placed huge plastic bins on each side of t.v. center so Hopscotch can't get behind to chew wires! Also have 2 cords wrapped with huge beach towels, until I find a more permant solution! Let's just say it isn't the prettiest of decor at the moment in the living room. :)

Lol@bunny proofing. I thought I was safe till I found out my bun could furniture surf over to where she wasn't supposed to be, my computer stand. I have to get new speakers. She chewed the wires from the top of the pc stand. 'lil stinker.

Latest posts

Back