What have I done?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
I've noticed that almost all behavior problems are the owner's fault, and I'm no exception. Ever since JJ came home with me, we've played this game when it's time for him to go back into his cage. I follow him around and say "go back to your cage," he hops a little ways, stops, waits for me to catch up, then keeps going for about 30 seconds before he runs to his cage for his food.

Well, this "game time" has gotten progressively longer and longer,and last night was the peak. I actually had to follow him around for 10 minutes before he would go back to his cage! He so much enjoys being "chased" that he doesn't want it to end!

I'm an idiot. :disgust::craziness

"No, I will not listen to you and go back to my cage."

jjlookaway.jpg

"I'm having too much fun."

jjdrawer.jpg

"OH, you said in the cage, not on top of the cage. Oops."

jjcage.jpg

ROFLMAO, what a spoiled little brat! (And I mean that with the most love! :D) Harper does something similar. He will run around a while, the minute I say let's go back into your cage, he dashes under the dresser where he KNOWS I can't reach him. So, I pulled the dresser out, and he goes under the bed. That little brat gives me a workout. :rollseyes:

Erg, yeah me too :) Luckily lacy usually just goes into the bathroom when she's done running around (just actually uses the cat's litter - it's SO funny!!).

Nes.

OMG!! I did the exact same thing trying to teach Leo to go in his cage. Now its a hour RUN to get him out from under the bed, to not bite, get him down the stairs, and into his cage!! ERR

Gretchen does this when I tell her to get off the couch. She likes it when I push her off so she keeps jumping up.

We go back and forth like this for 1/2 hour

They probably DO think you are playing with them! "Chase" is a favorite bunny game. I suggest letting them go back in by themselves. Eventually they will. If it's a case of wanting them in at night or when you are out, you may need to put them in.

Our 3 bunns free range in the house during the day so when it is time to let the new bun out for his exercise it was a pain trying to get the little beasties back in their room! So we resorted to bribery! We would block off the doorways and clap our hands while saying "Tookie, tookie, tookie" and they would think what a bunch of loons we were and run into their room before our heads popped off and we started barfing pea soup or something!:crazinessThen once we put their gate up they would get a raisin. After about a week or so all we would have to do is clap and say "Tookie, tookie, tookie" and they go straight to their room to get their treat!:D

Hehe...I'm right there with ya! I started seeing that happen with Maisie at one point, so a couple times, I just pushed her keaster right on in the cage, and she's gotten the hint ever since. I don't recommend it, necessarily, but it worked with my headstrong little cutie!! LOL!! Of course, she still tries to get out of going back into her cage...usually I just wait until she's ready to go back in, but when it's late, and isn't ready yet, she starts playing really hard, like she's having the time of her life! She knows she can get out of it if I see she's having fun...lol! I just wait anymore...she never wants to be out for longer than about an hour, so it's okay. If it's late and I'm tired, though, I have to coax her back in, but it's rare. :)

Your JJ is so cute!! I love that one white foot!! What a neat marking! :D

Pebbles doesn't like to be chased.

Outside, she will duck under some corner or small space and wait to be picked up.
Inside the house, she will jump into her litter box and wait to be picked up.
Of course she gets plenty of treats and cuddling when we dopick her up. :D

11127.jpg

Rainbows! :inlove:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I sometimes forget how fun it is to read what other people say! It's a good thing JJ is so cute because he is seriously the brattiest rabbit ever. But who could say no to that face?

nose_twitch wrote:
I've noticed that almost all behavior problems are the owner's fault
Ahh... words of the wise. I seriously think you're right, though. As others have mentioned, rabbits certainly suffer from "selective deafness." For instance, Devon pretends to not hear the word "kennel", but if I so much as whisper "c-r-a-i-s-i-n", he certainly knows what I'm saying:?

Good point... And I do think Leo has selective hearing. Like I walk up to his cage to get him and he is all excited. But I walk towards him to put him away and its party time. Then he LOVES when I say Apple but he cringes if I say carrot!!

Hehe. I'm glad Pebbles doesn't act bratty when it's time to gobeddy (I loose patience pretty quick if she's being a goof and not wanting to go in ;)). She knows i'm the "head of the warren" so as soon as she hears my bedtime tone of voice, me clapping, and comnig towards her she runs and jumps into her cage to be put back. It's a routine now and she enjoys the cuddles after she's been a good girl to go back in her cage. :). Although, now if you even come towards her while she's out, she'll think it's time to go back in her cage :).

So cute though!

I'm not sure what breed JJ is...basically just a mutt (can you use that term for animals other than dogs?). Anyway, the crate works well. I made a couple steps for him, so he can climb around. I wouldn't recommend it, though, unless your rabbit had significant time outside the cage because it's rather small (although bigger than the cages made for rabbits :shock:). JJ hangs out in the cage and on the balcony...rarely do I keep him just in the cage. A lot of people here have made cages that are really cool and inexpensive. I will try to find the thread for you and bump it. :) Good luck.

my rabbit is the most horribly behaved animal I've ever met(but I loooove him)

I had him out the other night and he was doing binkies and such but then I had to put him back and guess what he did he went straight under the bed.so I got down on my hands and knee's to get him and there he was in the spot I was just standing in so I got up and walked over but then he went back under the bed,so I went back AGAIN to get him,Now this lasted for almost an hour!I have a puppie and he's badly behaved he'll chew on anything...well almost any thing but he's a angel compared to my rabbit.My rabbit will chew up chew on and swallow anything! he even tried to each plastic.

Latest posts

Back