What has gotten into my rabbit?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
We built Jellybean a new 3-story NIC cage about two weeks ago. It took her a while, but she's gotten used to it and now hops from level to level (although she still doesn't play with the toys). However, recently, I've noticed a few new-and quite unwanted-behaviors:
*She's pooping all over the place instead of in her litter box-like she doesn't even recognize it anymore! Does she need to be re-litterbox trained? Because her cage is bigger now, water and pellets/hay are at one end and box is at the other. There's not really room to make them next to each other any more. Suggestions?
*We gave her a baby blanket so she could "burrow" but she prefers scratching and chewing on our couch. I know this is somewhat normal behavior. She doesn't really burrow with the blanket-maybe it's too small? Is there something I could give her to let her really have at it while she's in her cage, like a deep tray with newspaper or something?
*She has a pet carrier in one corner of the living room, that she hangs out in, but now she poops AROUND it instead of IN it. Does this area need to have her retrained as well?
*She was always pretty good about leaving the carpet alone, but now she has made destroying it-both in corners and right in the middle-her new favorite pastime. I've gone to spraying the corners (and cords-something that was never THIS big of a problem) with vinegar when she's out so she'll leave them alone. She has a "pumice stone" in her cage for her teeth and a willow barbell to chew on, which she uses.

Is all of this craziness because of her new cage? She's an 8 month old mini-lop and something else (the owner wasn't sure). I read a few books about rabbits before we got her so I *thought* I knew what I was getting myself into, but I don't remember any of them mentioning this kind of behavior! :foreheadsmack:Help?

They say pooping can be a territorial behavior. In your case, maybe she's 'marking' all her new stuff (?). Hopefully she will stop soon. I have two young lops and they're pretty good about going in one place, but sometimes they have accidents (or mark).

I don't know about the other behaviors -- my buns are constantly exploring the house and an object can be ignored one week, and the next week it's an obsession. Still figuring out these buns myself :)

My bunnies also poop around the carrier they play and rest in, though the behavior seems to be tapering off. I agree with coco_puffs that it might be marking behavior. Not sure about the chewing though. As for pooping around the cage, it could also be because the food is not by the box. Bunnies like to eat and poop at the same time.

Could you put hay right in the litter box? We do that, as well as attach a hay feeder to the side of the cage so it hangs over the box. This helps with getting much of the poop in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Back