"What happens to my pet if I die?" The apprehensions of aging and companion animal ownersh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickZac

Reaction score
"What happens to my pet if I die?" The apprehensions of aging and companion animal ownership: a problem, a solution, and how we are ALL involved.

So my degrees and my work have concentrations in gerontology, which is the study of 'old people' (in the most rudimentary terms). A new issue in the aging community is being observed. Pet owners, shelter administrators, and planners need to be aware of as they can likely help provide a solution. The issue is, 'what happens to an older person's pet if the person dies?'

A few issues are at play. We know that having a companion animal is healthy for one's mental and physical well-being. It has a particularly positive effect for those living alone. Many older people are widowed and if they have had children, they have likely moved out. They are very likely to live alone.

Research is beginning to suggest that many older persons want a pet(s), but do not act upon this due to major apprehension over what would happen to their beloved animal if they were to die. It's known that many 'unwanted' animals are euthanized every day. This is a legitimate fear in all respects. So here we have an opportunity for the life enrichment of both a person and an animal, but a barrier that we need to consider.

The other side is that there are many other older persons who currently have pets. Many of these people will die before the pet(s) does. Some studies have suggested that this is one of the greatest fears that these people have relating to death. This is creating a new problem in the pet-fostering community as well, as it is a new and steadily growing source of foster animals. The fastest growing age cohort is the 65+, and especially the "old-old" (85+). This issue will continue to increase in scope and severity. So here we have a potential issue that also needs to be considered.

As said earlier, the research on this topic is relatively new. Subsequently, it is not a topic commonly discussed by shelters and care providers. As of now, I am not aware of any 'programs' that cater specifically to older persons with pets that promise a loving home if they were to die before there animal (although it may exist and I just do not know of it). So this is something that volunteers may want to consider when planning.

I see a potential opportunity for tremendous mutual gain. Many older persons are in need of a loving animal and can provide loving homes to these animals. Many animals are in need of loving homes and can provide love to these people. If a program or even an informal system was put into place, it has the potential to ease these fears. In addition to easing the fear of older persons who currently own pets, it could also increase adoption rates if potential owners decide to become owners with the emergence of a solid future for their pets. The aging community is large and so there are a lot of potential foster parents. Depression is often seen with age, and it is closely related to loneliness. Positive improvements in mood are linked with ownership of a companion animal. It would be mutual benefit in its purest form. I know a lot of people here are involved with shelters and so I wanted to take the time to note on this as it may be something you want to further examine down the road.

I specifically noted this in the rabbit forum as the environments that many older persons live in are VERY well suited to bunnies and bunny adoption does not get nearly as much attention as cat and dog adoption. I’d love to hear your thoughts and reactions.

It is very important to prepare for your pets in case of death. I am 30 and I have a plan for what will happen to my pets if I die.

A really good book on the subject is:

When your pet outlives you by David Congalton - it really gets you thinking about what happens to your pets.

It seems that "old" people need to do the same thing "young" people do, and make sure there is a back up plan. I have one for my pets.

People of all ages die every day. I don't really see the necessity for that sort of organization. It actually reminds me quite a bit of that post-rapture pet care scam that told people for a fee they'd take care of their animals after the apocalypse.

I have a plan for my pets too, just in case. Particularly my turtles because they can live so long. I have them because their first owner, for lack of a better term, died. Her sons didn't want them so they ended up neglected for a number of months before they made it to a rescue. I don't want them to ever go through that again, particularly because I don't have children.

OneTwoThree wrote:
It seems that "old" people need to do the same thing "young" people do, and make sure there is a back up plan. I have one for my pets.

People of all ages die every day. I don't really see the necessity for that sort of organization. It actually reminds me quite a bit of that post-rapture pet care scam that told people for a fee they'd take care of their animals after the apocalypse.

Securing a back up plan if you are 80 years old, no children, and no spouse is more difficult...especially if many of your lifelong friends are dead. This is nothing like a scam concept and it is an issue that affects quality of life. The dynamics of aging and disability make securing a backup plan more difficult IMO.

Every thing is spelled out in our Living Trust. Young or old, it's best to have things spelled out. My cousins husband had a heart attack in the shower and he was only 29--no one knows when the reaper will come knocking. Something to think about.

Just an FYI. Doesnt matter how much money you leave aside your your animals "If I die, I want John to take care of Fluffy and he gets $15,000 and that money is just for fluffy!"
Odds are, Fluffy won't see a dime of that money. Seen numerous clients in the clinic where you know the owner died, passed the animal and a load of cash onto a child/grandchild/friend, and they spent the money on themselves and now cant afford the most basic of procedures for the animals. And there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Honestly best thing would be to will come cash to the vets for your account so whoever gets your pets can take them there and NOT be allowed to touch the money. And Will them tons of gift certificates or something for the pet store.

But really when it comes to the animal world.... People dont care. Its just like kids, whats the lawyer care if John spends the money, the dogs going to die in a few years anway. Nothing he's going to do about it. Nothing you can do about it now that you're dead.

There are legal contracts that can be drawn up for leaving money to your pet. I think in the news there was a lady who left millions of dollars to her dog.

I think it would be great to have a program for older people and their pets , i dont know what it should be though. It is great for older people to have a pet as it does help a lot with depression and loneliness but there needs to be something to back them up if the person passes away before their beloved pet.

The legal contract in question is called a "Pet Trust". I work in an Estate Planning and Elder Law firm and we do this type of thing all the time. Generally we've only done it for those who own a large amount of animals (such as a large scale dog breeder) or those who own very valuable animals (like horse breeders.) But it can really be done for any animal.

Larry, spelling it out in your Living Trust is a really good idea but for those who don't have that, they should consider doing a Pet Trust.

Not to be self-serving, but here's the page on our Firm's website that explains pet trusts in detail. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

http://www.farrlawfirm.com/pet-trusts.htm

I think everyone who owns something, be it a life or a car, should have a will.
I am only 22...but have kids and pets and so when issues started coming up and drs started getting worried I wrote a will...glad I did too. its all too obvious that everyday could be my last.
All of my pets have somewhere to go, whether its family or friend. but a lot of older people dont have the option of family or friends, most of them just have their pets. but i still think they should have an option prepared for if something happens to them where they can no longer care for their pet. as sad as it is though, sometimes shelter is the only option because of the high amount of unwanted pets and bad economy.
Since Feb. this lady has kept 4 cats in her house and posts on CL every week, she was a caretaker and woman was taken into hospice and passed and shes still trying to find homes for 2. there are a few good people out there, but wish there were more.
and nursing homes are harsh to not allow pets i think, some circumstances i get, but sometimes the senior has no where else and no one can take care of them, i dont think its right they should have to give up their pet because they get the bad end of a deal. ):

Latest posts

Back