what fruit and vegetables do you feed your bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
just interested in what you all feed your buns , bailey seems to have a sensitive tummy with carrot , apple and spinach even when given in small amounts , i give him strawberries and parsley occasionally but would ;like to give him fresh food daily but with out upsetting his tummy

I tend to change what I give so they are constantky getting something different and also so they don't get to much of something. I mainly give carrots, broccoli (it can cause gas but I have never had aproblem) Kale, Bak choy and baby sweetcorn.

as an occasional treat they get banana, strawberries, apple and grapes.

Just remember to try anything new slowly over a period of time to help not upset their tummy :)

I give mine kale, dandelion leaves, plain parsley, curly parsley, spinach (sometimes), dill (they all love this), basil, carrot tops, carrots (not too often), strawberries, apple pieces, cantaloupe, blueberries, pineapple. The fruits i don't give too often though that's their treat.

Susan:)

Ok, long list but should help you pick some out:

Kale, spinach, spring greens, green beans (dwarf beans), apples, pears, carrots, (little bit of one every day), rocket, carrot tops, romaine lettuce, red and curly lettuce, parsley, corriander, dill, basil, celery (sliced up small to avoid the stringy bits causing a problem) celery leaves, brocoli, strawberries, grapes (sparingly)....

There's probably a few more that I can't think of! They get usually about 5-6 of these each a day, although never too much kale, greens or spinach together as it's a lot of calcium...

:)

my boyfriend finds it entertaining to see what food the bunnies like to eat, so i have a long list.

fruit: apple, pear, banana, banana peel, strawberry, raspberry, mango, papaya, cranberry, canteloupe, watermelon, cherimoya

vegetable: celery, lettuce (red, green), romaine, chicory endive, turnip green, parsley, parsley root, cilantro, basil, mint, carrot root and top, parsnip, turnip, kale, cabbage (red, green, and some other one that was really curly), bok choy, dandelion greens, dinosaur kale, collards, mustard greens, brussels sprouts, broccoli rabe, fennel anise, red and green pepers, green beans, sugar snap peas

don't like: asparagus, artichoke, spinach, dill, chard, zucchini, cucumber, chayote

Just moved this to the Questions about Nutrition and Behavior section :).

From our Bunny 101 section,great links for further knowledge about vegetables!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

I tryto feed my guys a wide variety, changing vegetables they are used to everyday. Since I feedmy guysa large amount, always try tomix it up a bit!I find if I continually feed the same vegetables day after day, they start to loose interest, but if I don't give them the certain vegetable for a period of time, thengive it to them, it's the first things they'll eat!

Some favourites here are broccoli, kale,snowpeas. The usual vegetablesare cucumber, spinach, romain lettuce, celery (stalks and leaves) dandelions (leaves, stems, flowers),red leaf lettuce, italian and curly parsley.Some that I do feed, but not to often are green peppers, cilantro, and bok choy.I usually give alittle piece of apple every now and again as a treat, orsomesliced cherry tomato's or grapes in their salads as treats.

Here's an intelligent question:huh. Is Baby Bok Choy the same as Bok Choy? I just bought some to give to the babies.

Susan:)

Baby bok choy is just small bok choy, from what I can tell. They just pick it sooner, I think.

Forgot to add that bunnies like broccoli and cauliflower.

One great thing about being a bunny owner I've found is that you yourself start to eat more raw vegetables.. Baxter! get spinach, red leaf lettuce, strawberriers, cucombers, banana chip, yourgurt drop (usually to get him into his pen at night) grapes and his favorite - cheerios.. I just keep trying new things and havethe safelist which Spring gave the link to aboveprinted out, I have it taped to his Nic pen.. so far the only thing Baxter! has snubbed is celery.

Mustard greens, escarole, curly parsley, cilantro, green leaf, romaine, celery, and the occassional tiny peice of banana or apple.

tonyshuman wrote:
Baby bok choy is just small bok choy, from what I can tell. They just pick it sooner, I think.

Forgot to add that bunnies like broccoli and cauliflower.
Please note that certain veggies (including bok choy, broccoli and cauliflower) can create gas, even GI stasis, for some rabbits. Please be awareof your bunny's digestive sensitivities as much as possible.

Here's a document that I find helpful: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

Jenk

juliew19673 wrote:
What a great article link! Willl print out and keep next to the fridge.. Thanks for posting it..
It kinda makes me wish that I had come up with it. :biggrin2: And while I wish that it featured even more vegetables/ photos, it still helped me a lot.

My Zoe'sultra-sensitive digestive system went into stasis when I fed her a tiny amount of endive over three days' time. I didn't realize then that endive can induce gas; now I know not to ever give her any gas-producing veggies, thanks to that list.

It all depends on the bunny I think :D. My guys eat broccoli and kale on a regular basis and have never had a problem because they are used to it and have a hardy digestion. But I've heard of rabbits being effected by the veggies considered more milder and getting gas from that too.. so I think there are some types that can be a bit more gassy, but all depends on the bunny and their sensitivity :D.

Latest posts

Back