What does their growl sound like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
It might be a bit hard, but can you describe your bunny's growl? I always thought Bo was pretty quiet but there's this noise he makes that I thought was more of a whine to stop something - now I think it might be a growl.

It sounds like a squeaky bee buzzing and just real short with a high nasaly sound at the end. Like I said I thought it was a sign of pain or crying that he wants down or something....

Boy, this is hard without sound files.

Nibbles makes a "growly" sound when she's happy/excited and wants to play - it's kind of a combination of a growl, honk and oink. (I sometimes describe it as a "grr-honk.") She also makes squeaky sounds, deep "uh-uh" sounds (from her chest) and sometimes whimpers very quietly when she's frightened. (Sounds like a puppy crying, but it's so much softer...)

I've never heard her buzz, but I know that many bunnies make buzzing sounds.

ec wrote:
Boy, this is hard without sound files.

Nibbles makes a "growly" sound when she's happy/excited and wants to play - it's kind of a combination between a growl, honk and oink. (I sometimes describe it as a "grr-honk.") She also makes squeaky sounds, deep "uh-uh" sounds (from her chest) and sometimes whimpers very quietly when she's frightened. (Sounds like a puppy crying, but it's so much softer...)

I've never heard her buzz, but I know that many bunnies make buzzing sounds.
Yeah, Bo's isn't the happy buzz bunny sound it's like a buzzy wimper! It's weird. Maybe it is a sort of cry and growl together!

Melody always growls/grunts before she bites her next victim - repairmen, contractors,friends, etc. It sounds like the noise the Cowardly Lion makes in the Wizard of Oz.

seniorcats wrote:
Melody always growls/grunts before she bites her next victim - repairmen, contractors,friends, etc. It sounds like the noise the Cowardly Lion makes in the Wizard of Oz.

Exactly like that. Very good comparison! That's the sound Wash makes when he charges. If I open his cage whenhe's sleeping he'll give a hungry piglet kind of grunt and pop up to see what I'm doing.

Edit for bad grammer

I've never heard the sort of growl you all describe. My Bugs is just plain mute, lol, but his brother, Peter, will squeak if he disapproves of being picking up, or wants you to let go of him.

Guess they all have their own way of doing things! LOL!

Dogs get angry, they growl, raise their hair, snarl.

Bunnies get angry - they could growl, could bite, could ram, could smack, ..... or squeak. :p

I always said it was more of a grunt. And grunt sounds like me when I have a sinus infection! :DIt's more like when you have a bad cold and you inhale through your nose...yeah, that's how I would describe it. :)

lalena2148 wrote:
I always said it was more of a grunt. And grunt sounds like me when I have a sinus infection! :DIt's more like when you have a bad cold and you inhale through your nose...yeah, that's how I would describe it. :)
That'sa fab description :)

lalena2148 wrote:

THAT'S IT! and Bo's is just a little high pitched like or something.

He IS growling at me. :X

I have one doe that will shriek at me if she thinks I am taking to long with the feed. She scared the living daylights out of me the first time she did it, I about went straight up in the air! To me, the growl almost sounds like a puppy growl, but not so deep in the chest. I don't think you can mistake it for anything but a growl, LOL.

Not in the chest but more in the nose?

WOW! I would freak out if one of them did that! Heidi is kinda different than what I am used to. Bo has always been a love bug. Clover never has wanted to be held or picked up at all - of course she's a cottontail. Heidi is a mixture of them. When I go in and open her cage she hides. We named her well. :pI hope she never gets vocal with me - she could be loud! Her thumps freak me out already! :shock:

My does grunt a lot. They sound like the grunts a pig makes. Lol. Other than that, the only sound I have heard is Wiggles whimpering and those are short slightly higher pitched sounds that she does when she's been missing me or if she is not feeling well. She did whimper quite a bit after her surgery when she saw Bam-Bam and he rushed to her side and then she stopped.

I've heard bunnies can be quite vocal if they want to. Wiggles had never made a sound but when she bonded to a guinea pig, that's when she started making some sounds. :huh

OH, if she starts FWEEPING..... record it LOL!

rustles bag of kale and hears little bunnies and pigs "fweeep fweepfweep"......

I guess Bo is either wimpering or growling.... he usually is pretty quiet. When he was neutered, they sent him home that day and he slept in my arms for hours upon hours. He wouldn't let me put him down at all.

Thankfully, neither Sam or Harvey have growled yet. But they do tend to sigh heavily when I pick them up to hold them. Neither like to be held...so it's a sign or a little squeak like "oh ok, you got me this time".

But I DO know what the Bunny Growl sounds like. My next door neighbor's bunny, Peter is an evil bunn. He's bit me several times....and just for having the nerve to pet him. :? As soon as I come over, he charges me and growls. It sounds like a "grrr-unt". He's such a tough guy ;) I learned the hard way, never to wear sandals over there. I still have the scar on my toe to prove it.

Back