What do you think (pictures of my prospective buns)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniless

Reaction score
If I'm going to go with a bonded trio, my options are somewhat limited. I am not partial to rabbits with long hair, or to those who are extra-large, after having spent my entire adult life with a Netherland Dwarf.

The first picture is of three brothers who are Netherland Dwarf mixes. They caught my attention first because their shape and size are so familiar to me. The description says they are shy though, and due to that and their small size, they are recommended to homes with adults and older children. I have very small children, and while they will always be closely supervised around the buns, the shelter representative does recommend that I consider bigger rabbits.

The second picture is of six English Spot mixes. They are 'on the large side of medium,' very active and playful, and it is believed that they would do well with children. I do find them beautiful, but I am somewhat nervous about switching to a larger sized bunny. I would also have some guilt about breaking up the sibling set...but then again, someone has to right? I doubt they stand a great chance of being adopted as a complete group of six...the black ones are female, and the broken black ones are two female, two male.

I'm going to meet both groups at the shelter, and I'm sure that will tell me a lot. There may even be trios there who aren't advertised on the shelter's website. But just because I'm obsessing over this...which ones would you rather have? The dwarf brothers or three of the English Spots? And if you would choose the English Spots, which three of the six would you go with? I imagine I'll ask the workers at the shelter which three seem to have the closest bond...but idk if it works that way. Maybe they all love each other equally? Hahaha, thanks for listening to me ramble on. I can't believe how few people in my real life want to talk at length about rabbits :confused:

three brothers.jpg

six sibs.jpg

I would get the spots, 2 broken one black. But I like big bunnies so that's probably why

I'd ask the shelter about who to break up within the six :nod I'd worry there might be two that are especially close within the group, and of course you don't want to break them up or leave them behind to be broken up, since a lot of people probably don't go in to the shelter looking for more than 1 rabbit at a time. If that were the case, I'd take any two close buns and a third indifferent bun, ideally. Or maybe they're all just totally indifferent :p Only the people that spend the most time with them at the shelter would know.

Odd that they would offer siblings before their bonded. I take it they will bond them before they let you adopt? Because the usual thinking is there is no bond before fixing, and sibling have a slightly better chance of being bonded but there is no guarantee to that either.

Personally I'm more partial to larger rabbits, but thats me. Always go for more playful and friendly, its an easier adjustment unless its loners you want.

I was under the impression that both sibling sets were bonded, but then again I'm new to the multi-bunny scene. They are all already spayed/neutered and use a litter box. The ones in the top pic are listed as 'young,' but the ones on the bottom are two years old. Does the fact there are six mean they can't all be currently bonded to one another? I guess if they were, the shelter wouldn't be willing to adopt them out separately? Their backstory says they were rescued as babies, so I'm assuming they were altered some time ago

The thing to keep in mind with splitting up the six, is that there's likely to be a dynamic change, and you may end up with a few scuffles as bunnies reassert dominance and get things figured out. If you can handle that though, there's no reason you can't go with three from the six. Friendlier bunnies are probably better, especially since bunnies that are already nervous are likely to be even more scared by loud noises and sudden movements that kids make.

Then again, you may think you have your mind made up, then go and meet them and completely change your mind :p Whatever you feel will fit your family best.

Latest posts

Back