What do you think is a good diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angieluv has pointed you in a good direction!
I guess a good diet is based on YOUR rabbit and what you "use" that rabbit for ie. a breeding or lactating female will need more clacium, a young rabbit needs extra calcium, a show rabbit needs to be kept in good coat condition etc. My rabbit (half dustbin half lionhead) eats on a daily basis 1/8 cup of pellets and free feeding hay (as many different types of grass hay as possible with alfalfa mixed in every now and again) then at least every other day at the moment(depends on what I can get) he gets romaine lettuce, a small peice of carrot, fresh grass, coriander/cilantro, a small peice of celery or cucumber and usually a leaf of any other lettuce excluding iceberg and then I change differnt things around like he gets a peice of fruit every weekend, parsley every few days, kale 2-3 times per week, fresh clover, chick weed, dried nettle/agrimony/yarrow and different things like that, he seems healthy and I have never had a problem considering I have been told he has a sensitive stomach and will likely have slowing of the gut a few times.

If you want one quick article to read:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=48

If you're looking for pellet brands, it depends on the rabbit's age. For non-breeding adults I greatly prefer timothy pellets. I personally feed Oxbow BB/T but there are a few other good ones available. For rabbits that are still growing or are pregnant/lactating the best brands are usually found in farm/feed stores. Oxbow has a 15/23 formula that is great for young, growing rabbits but it is more pricy than the feed store options. I'm feeding my 3.5 month old baby bun Heinhold's 15% protein pellets and I raised two foster litters on that this summer. It's far from the only quality feed store brand though.

Don't forget about hay, all rabbits should have grass hay such as timothy. Alfalfa can be given to rabbits that are growing or breeding but should only be a treat for most adult pets.

Also, for my adult rabbits I feed a low-pellet high-veggie and hay diet. It keeps them trim and helps keep their teeth worn down properly. One of my rabbits has to go in for regular dental work and this diet helps him from needing that as often.

Latest posts

Back