What do you think (harnesses)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Tracey~

Reaction score
I am after a harness for my rabbit and came across this type. It says for larger rabbits and i have a french lop so thought it might do. Do you think it looks strong enough where the mesh part is and has anyone got one of these?

We got one of these. Our rabbit HATES it. Also she can get out of it. I think it all depends whether your rabbit will wear the harness or not.

My rabbit also had one and also hated it.
I saw a great collection of harnesses for very large rabbits but as I remember they were sold in the UK and were quite expensive but extremely well made.

maybe someone on this site can remember the large harnesses for flemish giants and other large breeds as I think I saw them on this site awhile back.

I just saw that you live in the UK ..just try typing in harnesses for large rabbits and see what you get.These were made out of leather and were built for a rabbit body ..not a bunch of stretch mesh.

I've tried a whole whack of harnesses and the first one is the only one that Dill and Pippseem to findcomfortable (no parts stick into their bodies, it's flat and the mesh is stretchy) and I find totally secure. It's the only oneno bunny has gotten out of. They hate it when I'm putting it on, but once it's on, they ignore it, and with the elastic-likelead, they love running around the yard with it.

I tried harnesses on a few of the other rabbits, but theyflipped outso I didn't pursue it.

Dill and Pipp are little bunnies, though.

sas

attachment.php
We had this one for Buttercup a long time ago, he literally chewed it within 5 minutes of him having it on. We don't use them anymore because rabbits can get hurt very easy with them on, if they get startled
Susan:bunnydance:

I have the first one too. It comes in a few different sizes, we got the biggest one for Pebble and Ebony, it fits them (though we do have to tighten it) I don't know if it would fit a bigger bun.:?

I do remember reading once that someone got that one and extended it themselves, sorry I can't remember who it was.

What I like about that one is that the lead can come of, so they can get used to the harness in the house. Less stressful for them.:)

I have that exact one, my bunnies seem to prefer the mesh design as there are no small straps that can dig in,and any pressure is spread over a larger area. I had one buck that would even jump a course of little obstacles wearing it, it didn't bother him at all! It also has velcro so you can make it fit a larger bunny. It fits my Standard Rex no problem without letting it out all the way, so I should think it would fit your French Lop. Of course, you must be very careful if your bun is wearing one, make sure it is tight enough that he won't get his legs stuck in it, and I'd recommend letting him run around with it on without the lead attached until he is used to the harness first.

:)

I have that one with the mesh. Mocha hated it with a passion- I think it was rubbing the fur wrong because it was hard to get it to lie flat.

Oberon is my only bun who will really tolerate a harness.He's a New Zealand, so he's pretty big. I use a cat harness for him- actually it's my cat Lily's harness.:)

Yer i was looking at the cat harness in pets at home and they are similar to the second pic i posted and wondered whether to get one and would it do as i can't see no difference between the cat and the rabbit one

As far as I can see, there isn't a difference between a cat harness and the second harness you showed. Just make sure to buy one that is fully adjustable. Mine has buckles, and the holes are punched all the way up the side.

I just got one of the first ones yesterday.. I put it on with some effort and within two minutes she was free.. Maybe I will try a cat harness. Does anyone have the Hagen web site?

How are they getting free? Are they pulling apart the velcro? Is the clip part not holding it?

They're meant to fit verysnug and still be comfortable (for bunnies toleratingharnesses, anyway), if they're coming off intact, they're just nottight enough.

sas

I have one of those and i think it's really hard to put it on. every time i try to put it on my rabbit sticks to the ground. And my rabbit seem to really really hate it too.

Patches harness was snug. But she is mostly hair so it is hard to get it tight.. She just kind of used her front paws and pushed it off of her then wiggles out. I exchanged it today and got a cat harness. I have yet to try it.. Plus the other one was hard to put on..

Latest posts

Back