What do you think about giving horse treats to rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
I occassionally feed my rabbits these littleapple and oat biscuits designed for horses. They are made byPurina under the name Nurtisource. My rabbits absolutely lovethem. I'm trying to find information on whether or not thisis a good idea in the long run. I've got two rabbits I'mtrying to put some weight on. Does anyone know how a good wayto add weight quickly?

Nutri-Cal is usually recommended in these partsfor weight gain. I'd think it would be preferable to thetreats because it has more small animal-specific vitamins and morecalories packed into a very small dose which one would think wouldcause less stress on the digestion.(Sweets,carbscan wreck havoc).

I give my guys apples and oats as treats, buthorse treatslike that often have molasses andother ingredients that maybe iffy. One of the strongest recommendations outthere in the rabbitworld is to go easy ontreats,stick to bits of fruit. And oats.Iguessit depends on the ingredients.

sas :)

I'm a member on a Australian rabbit list and ihave read about other people giving their bunnies oat biscuits,i neverasked anyone about them though,but people do give them to their bunniesas treats,i never thought no more about them until i saw this post

I don't know nothing at all about those oat biscuits and what otheringredients is in them....do you know what other ingredients they havein them?

cheryl

I give them sometimes - different brand though I think. Another breeder told me about them and how her rabbits love them.

Some of mine like them - others are so so about them.

I don't give them often as I don't want them to get too fat....

Peg

I wouldn't advise it if they are anything likethe horse treats I gave our Holland Lop as a goodnight treat everynight of his adult, and shortened, 6 years. He died 7 monthsago from what we believe was an tooth abcess, at the root of which sidetooth we don't know.

I was told the cylindical, half-inch diameter treats, that come inapple, carrot and peppermint of various lengths, had healhty nutrients,and he sure did like them--until he couldn't eat them, or anythingelse, for that matter.

Anything hard and of that thickness that they have to crunch with theirside teeth I will never feed again. Perhaps if they arecrumbled...

Latest posts

Back