What do you feed and what is your feeding schedule?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just curious!
I'm currently researching dietary needs and options (on and off this site) for the bunny I'll be getting in May/June and I'd love to hear what you guys feed your rabbits and on what days if you choose to vary on certain days, etc.

We give ours a small amount of pellet at the evening feeding, veggies in the morning and evening, a treat in the morning and evening and unlimited orchard grass--their racks are kept full. If you're getting a young rabbit, you're supposed to give unlimited pellet and alfalfa hay for the first six months and not start veggies till they hit four months.

my rabbit is a year old. and he gets veggies in the morning (i usually change what veggies each time i go to the grocery store, but make sure that its always ones hes had before, and if im introducing a new veggie i mix small amounts in with the ones hes had until i know hes okay with it). this week he gets green leaf lettuce. and then at night he gets pellets. he also has treats used for training or if we are playing. (craisins or dried fruit pieces) and then he has unlimited hay (2 litterboxes that have hay in them and 2 hay racks that are always kept full) and of course tons of water.

I give a mix of hays, Ellie gets mostly coastal with a handful of oat and timothy mixed in. She gets about 1/2 cup of pellets a day, split into two feedings 1/4 cup morning and night. She gets some veggies throughout the day. She gets like 2 craisins when I change her litter box, sometimes she gets a banana chip. But she mostly eats hay during the day and doesn't always eat all her pellets.
She is like 5 months old, she eats a alfalfa based pellets.

I feed twice a day most days.

In the morning, I give fresh water, refill hay baskets (timothy hay now, but I'll also give orchard grass if I have it), and about 1/2c mixed greens (red or green leaf or romaine lettuce along with an herb or two). If it's a bad shedding week, either 2-3 pencil eraser sized small pieces of fresh pineapple or dried papaya.

In the evenings I clean the litter boxes, double check hay and water, and give 1/3c of pellets. The pellets I feed are Oxbow adult. :)

My two share 1/4 cup of Oxbows Essentials Adult (formerly bunny basics/T) over the course of the day. They get part of it in the morning in their bowl and eat the rest out of my hands at various points in the day. Lately they've been getting a little extra because they both are on antibitics for respiratory issues and had lost a little weight.

I refill their hay racks 2-3 times a day with a mix of Oxbow's timothy, Oxbow's orchard and a 3 way blend of oat, barley and wheat I get from a locat rabbit rescue.

Twice a day they also get veggies. Usually it's a few leaves of romaine or green or red leaf lettuce and a big handful of whatever else I've bought that week.

They have a 0.5 gallon waterer, so I refill that when it gets low or if they get somehing in it.

Missycoves schedule sounds very similar to mine.

My 2 also share 1/4 cup Oxbow Essential. They get it just before bedtime. (It's how I get them back in the cage after being out since morning.)

2-3 times per day, I dump a generous amount of hay in the litter box.

When we have dinner, they get a handful of greens -- varies.

Treats (raisins or fruit or carrot piece) is given later in the evening, but not every day.

I feed my rabbits about a cup and a half a day, twice, in the morning hoepfully at around 10am and the evening about 7pm. They get a papaya tablet in the morning to help their coats and as a way to measure if they're feeling well (if they don't eat it something is wrong). At 8pm they get a plate of fresh greens. For training purposes or just treats they get either craisens or banana chips. I'd like to give them a little bit of fruits every few days but one of them is so picky we haven't found one that he likes yet. Once a week I give them a horse treat ghat they go nuts for but it has to be done infrequently. A large bundle of hay is doled out when the cages are cleaned every 3 days. I'd give hay daily but I'm allergic to it, they don't soil it or even finish it so it seems to work but its the only part of my routine I question.

In the morning:
Salad, about 1/2 cup worth since he's only 5 months, 1/8cup pellets, fresh hay, fresh water.
He gets fresh hay and water multiple times throughout the day, the rest of his pellets he gets given as treats from my hand, in his treat ball to play with or sometimes some at night when I put him back in his hutch.

I feed a brand of pellets here called Jackrabbit, but am going to be switching to oxbow when I can. I think oxbow comes in slightly smaller bags too, which will be better for me since he doesn't go through them quick enough. I buy meadow hay from a feed store, brand hays from pet stores here are all rubbish, they're more like straw, and we don't get timothy hay either, so meadow it is :)

My bunnies have hay 24/7, pellets in am and a bowl full of greens (they usually get a combo of cilantro, kale and chicory) in the pm. Occasionally, they get a sliver of banana (their MOST favorite treat), piece of apple, strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries. They also get bunny "trail mix" (a mixture of Cheerios, old fashioned rolled oats, pieces of saltine crackers, dried banana, sunflower seeds, craisins or whatever else I have to throw in...

My bunny, Melvin weighs about 2 pounds and I am not sure of his exact age, but he is assumed to be between 4 and 6 months.

I have had him about a month now and initially he would not eat hay. I made a thread here asking for advice on how to feed it to him. After trying a few different ways, I found on that worked for him. I made a "foraging" box out of a small litter pan. In it is a mix of alfalfa, timothy, and orchard grass hay. I also mix 1/4 cup of pellets in each morning. This is separate from his actual litter box, which he still uses. The reason that I used an additional box is that he likes to scatter his hay throughout his pen and also poops while he eats. This way, his food is more contained, and a lot easier to clean up. He absolutely loves foraging in it and has appetite for hay has tripled in the week that I have been using this method. I plan on phasing out the alfalfa from the hay mixture. I had bought it initially when I was trying to get him to start eating hay.

I am working on adding veggies to his diet slowly, right now they are more of a treat. He gets a few very small pieces of romaine lettuce a day and has also tried parsley, and carrot slivers (which he has gotten maybe twice).

Latest posts

Back