What do you do with your bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning Wrigley's cage and itwas a complete nightmare. Once a week I do a major cleaningon my bunnies cage and he is getting more and more difficult.I usually put him in his carrier and give him an alfalfa cube to keephim busy, but lately he has been going crazy. He won't stoppulling on the door and he even does back flips...which is very scaryfor me and I don't know how to get him to stop. He's not evenin the carrier for that long...I'm thinking about getting another cagefor him, but I think he will do the same thing.

If you have any ideas on what might keep him busy or at least get him to calm down please let me know...

Thanks,

Jenn

I use a transfere cage wheni clean rabbits out its awire cage with a platform bottom , its thesame size and shape as their own cageso they dont seem to figure outthere is a difference makes clean upa bit smoother but it alsogives you one extra cage to clean.

I know I haven't been all that long. Is there a reason you can't let him run around as you do it?

When we clean Apollo's, he's out running aound. 9 times outof 10 he is right there supervising us, making sure we do it right.

Does Wrigley have an all time favorite treat or toy? Something that make cage cleaning seem like a dream come true.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
When we clean Apollo's, he's out running aound. 9 times out of 10 he is right there supervising us, making sure we do it right.

Tina

Same here.

-Carolyn

I'd love to have him out with us, but I have tohave the door open so I can vacuum and go back and forth when I cleanall his things in the bath tub. If I kept him out when thedoor is open I'd probably never see him again. I don't knowif my cats and dog would like that either. I don'ttrust them with Wrigley alone. :(

Whenever I give him a treat he really likes he eats it and then goesright back to trying to open the door and doing his back flips.

I think I'm probably going to have buy another cage. I wasactually planning to build one this summer, but I guess it's going tohave to be done sooner. Then he can be switched to adifferent cage when I'm cleaning ;)

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

If you do get another cage my suggestion is onewith 2 compartments. I clean out my rabbit while he is in onecompartment then switch sides. If he won't stay in one compartmentwhile you are cleaning the other try blocking him in the other end witha piece of cardboard.:)

carrots wrote:
Ifyou do get another cage my suggestion is one with 2 compartments. Iclean out my rabbit while he is in one compartment then switch sides.If he won't stay in one compartment while you are cleaning the othertry blocking him in the other end with a piece of cardboard.:)
That's a good idea!

Thank you :D

Bo is running loose or one of the kids will hold him.

He will sometimes come over and investigate or get in my way cause he doesn't want his cage cleaned. :X

I have to take some of his stuff into a different room also.I have heard some people use 2 sets of stuff like litterpan, feed bowl,and bottle so that they clean a set with another set in the cage.

A know of someone that uses an old portable babyplaypen. She turns it upside down and keeps the carpet clean by layinga garbage bag on the floor. She said her rabbit doesn't feel soconfined that way. Just a thought.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
Aknow of someone that uses an old portable baby playpen. She turns itupside down and keeps the carpet clean by laying a garbage bag on thefloor. She said her rabbit doesn't feel so confined that way. Just athought.

Tina
Ohhh...that is a really good idea too! I think that could work until I'm able to get a second cage. :D

Thanks!

Maybe Wrigley thinks he is being punished and confined in his carrier and he wants to get out.

I use 4 wire shelves clipped together to form a temporarypenwith on a large piece of cardboardonthe floor. The wire shelves arethetypeused in refrigerators, so they arejusthigh enough so the bunny can't jump out. Byadding more sections you have a bigger pen like those dog pens.

Another idea, is using your cage top to coverWrigley when cleaning the bottom.

Rainbows!

When I clean Cosmo's litter box, I have to puthim in a carrier, because otherwise he will go in his cage and pee inthe spot where there is no litter box...leaving a lot more work forme! He's usually good about being in the carrier tho...so Iguess this really doesn't help with your situation. Do youhave one of those playpens that you can set him in while you arecleaning?

-Ness

When our buns need to be out of their cage for any length of time we put them in a portable excersise pen.

I bought a wire one that has 8 sides that are 2 foot each. You can makeit smaller and change the shape to accomodate space that is available.I use it in the backyard, too. You can also add another set to make itbigger. They also make a screened material cover for the top. They makeit in 2 or 3 different heights as well.

Before litter training we would put one of those "Neat Sheets" down sothe buns wouldn't pee on the carpet. Now we just put a litter pan inthe pen and they use that instead of the carpet.

:~) Jim

My bunnies clear their own cages, they are such good rabbits.

Ed

Jenn I normally clean Bindys hutch whilst she is playing out in theloungeroom (where she lives) every time I start she is right therebeside me jumping over me looking and checking it all out then when Iam finished she hops in her hutch and inspects EVERYTHING!! to see it'sall where she left it LOL It's funny actually and we have made it a funtime thing for her:D:D:D:D

Normally my buns just have the run of the "rabbitroom" while I am cleaning. If I can't pay enough attention tothem like when I have extra scrubbing to do, they go in a playpen. I have plexi-glass that fits over the top. Myferrets use the same pen when I clean their cage. It worksvery nicely, although I'm just waiting for them to chew out of it. LOL

Jen

Latest posts

Back