What do I do for Harley now?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Bailey, my Dutch, passed away from heart failure today at the vets office. I brought her home for her bonded mate Harley to say goodbye. He nudged her a bit, groomed her, and even did a binky (I have no idea why. Any thoughts into this would be appreciated.) It's been a good 6 hours, and I can tell now that he's more than a little confused and upset. He's hiding out in the back of their cage. I'm wondering- should I start cleaning the cage out tonight? Make it smell less like her? Would that help the grieving process or hurt it? I want to do what's best for him.

Aww, I'm so sorry about Bailey. And I'm so sorry that Harley is sad. :( I don't know much about bunny passings as I haven't ever lost a bunny yet.

I just want to say that getting a new bunny friend for him would probably help comfort him. But I don't know if you feel ready for one after already loosing your Bailey

Oh. *tear* I'm so sorry for you and Harley's loss. I'm not sure what might be done in this situation, maybe let Harley grieve in his rabbit way and then maybe get him out tomorrow and give him extra special love and treats. I just can't imagine. :(

Thanks everyone.
I've started cleaning this evening. New box. New hay rack. He's none too thrilled. Neither am I. But we'll get through this together.

Back