What did your buns get for Christmas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
My bun got 2 packs of NIC grids which will let him run free during the day, and he got some apple branch chews.

A ginormous box of coal! And it's not even really theirs, they have to share it with six other naughties.

They did get an early prezzie of a dig-pool, though (filled with hardwood mulch, topsoil and a bit of play sand (of the two kinds I found at Home Depot, it's the one that's not all dusty)). It looks like it has a lot more sand in the mix than it does, because I was really tired and got too lazy to stir it in with the other stuff.

They snubbed the gift, or at least that's the story they're sticking to. The green stains on the bottom of their feet (Gazzles' white paws in particular) from the non-toxic tempera paint powder I used to dye the sand betray them, though - they're clearly going in there when I'm not around. Smart as they can be, they didn't realize there was a "silent alarm" built into the gift to tell me when someone had been secretly playing with it :p.

t6cglu.jpg

Honestly, I suspect Nala overheard my original plans, which involved having my heart set on a kiddie pool with a built-in slide, as I feel like I'm getting snubbed because it's "not good enough" and I "could've done better." At the last minute, I cheaped out - it was $34.99 or more for any pool with a slide (all of which are 60'' across) and only $12.99 for a 45'' pool without a slide. I decided it was ridiculous to pay 3x as much for a pool that's honestly a bit too big just so they could have a slide that they wouldn't have even used except when I put them on it myself.

I couldn't find anything locally this time of year but managed to do site-to-store and avoid shipping fees. Brought my drill when I went to pick it up, drilled a hole in the rim on either side and tied it to the roof of my car since there was no way to fit it inside while still being able to drive the car... man, did I get some weird looks driving home with it in mid-December. Apparently people think kiddie pools are only for outdoor use and can only be filled with water :p.

In my defense, a big part of why I cheaped out is that I know this gift will only last so long. They're going to pee it up. I'm going to spot-clean it, they're going to keep peeing it up. I'll eventually have to dump it out completely and refill it from scratch. They'll pee it up AGAIN. Sooner or later, I'm going to get tired of dumping and replacing 70ish lbs of digging substrate and I'll end up taking it away from them. We all know that's *exactly* how it's going to go.

Gotta love being a bunny slave, heh... they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make you feel unappreciated, or at least mine do.

Last edited:
My lucky bun got a bag of her favorite treats and a nice hutch to replace her small cage (although the hutch will still be inside) I haven't figured out how to finish building it though... So many parts!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1387997916.492963.jpg

Haha wish I had you over here. I can't hit a nail in strait if my life depended on it and I don't understand the instructions 😅

Nails suck. First thing I'd do is throw them out, grab screws of an appropriate size/length and grab a drill (or impact driver if you've got one, hehe... I'll be getting an impact attachment for my drill pretty soon, as it can be converted to other tools via attachments (router, jigsaw, mini circular saw, sander or impact driver)). Screws create a stronger hold, plus they're MUCH easier to get out if they need to be removed, much easier to get in and your arm doesn't get tired from all the **** hammering. The ONLY reason to use nails instead of screws is that nails are cheaper. I'd rather have my sanity, thanks.

As for instructions, have you tried disregarding them and trying to put it together using common sense and the picture on the box? In my experience, trying to follow poorly-written directions usually just confuses you and makes things worse so if they're sh*tty, then see what happens if you ignore them. (Which, of course, is easier if you followed my first bit advice and switched out the nails for screws since making up your own instructions often involves at least a little bit of trial and error.)

Stache got a new tunnel. I hope he likes it. We are 0 for 3 with the toys so far. He also got some of those baby links to play with.

Leave some tasty electrical cords or very important paperwork lying around and I bet he'll take a keen interest in the new "toys", lol.

Lol! So far, knock on wood, he has shown zero interest in cords. I put an old telephone book out for him too aaaaaand nothing. When he is roaming around the room, he mostly wants to cuddle. He will go off and hop around a bit but he ends up back next to me, with his head on my arm while I am working. I don't think he had toys at his last house. I will keep trying though. Next on my list is a dig box, yours is super awesome. This Santa does not take no for an answer.

Mine just got a new toy from the aviary near my home where we get toys and food for our bird (who we also got there). I was given a PetSmart gift card, so they will get more presents.

Nails suck. First thing I'd do is throw them out, grab screws of an appropriate size/length and grab a drill (or impact driver if you've got one, hehe... I'll be getting an impact attachment for my drill pretty soon, as it can be converted to other tools via attachments (router, jigsaw, mini circular saw, sander or impact driver)). Screws create a stronger hold, plus they're MUCH easier to get out if they need to be removed, much easier to get in and your arm doesn't get tired from all the **** hammering. The ONLY reason to use nails instead of screws is that nails are cheaper. I'd rather have my sanity, thanks.

Thank you so much for the advice! I've given up on it for the night but I thank you for you haven given me new hope that I can finish it tomorrow! Thanks and I'll be sure to think of you when I'm buying screws tomorrow!!

Wow everybody's buns look so awesomely lucky and spoiled!! I planned to get more for Silver, but there was hardly anything good left at the store. I plan to get him more when the store restocks its rabbit toys.

Presents don't have to be expensive or complicated. My rabbits got a loaf box. It was supposed to be a dig box--just a cardboard box filled with shredded paper. But so far they've just loafed in it, lol.

maidance - we've got one of those ware fun tunnels, though ours is purple... my girls actually started with a 4'' diameter one that I found on sale but they outgrew it by about 12 weeks old - they were so in love with it that I had to go out and get them the 8'' diameter version! In retrospect, I can't believe my rabbits used to be able to fit in the 4'' diameter tunnel (and one could even squeeze past the other inside it) when I first got them o_O

That tunnel is still one of their favorite toys!

I put an old telephone book out for him too aaaaaand nothing. When he is roaming around the room, he mostly wants to cuddle. He will go off and hop around a bit but he ends up back next to me, with his head on my arm while I am working.

Lol, consider yourself lucky that he loves to cuddle so much! As for the phone book, my girls took a few months to realize it was a toy. I found it helped to open it and rumple up some of the pages in the middle/fan it out a little - after I did that, it didn't take them long at all to start demolishing it!

Thank you so much for the advice! I've given up on it for the night but I thank you for you haven given me new hope that I can finish it tomorrow! Thanks and I'll be sure to think of you when I'm buying screws tomorrow!!

Couple tips on that... I've found that Walmart is cheaper than HD/Lowe's for screws whether you're buying a few or a huge box, though their selection isn't as great. If you have any off-brand type hardware stores in your area, those can be good, too - especially if they have bins where you buy screws by weight and can choose as few or as many as you need. I picked up my kiddie pool from a store called Turner Hardware (small chain) and they had drywall screws in various sizes for $2.95 a lb among other things. I usually use drywall screws for lumber because I'm too lazy to go out and buy wood screws when the drywall ones work just fine (though pilot holes help a good bit with wood) and are often cheaper :p.

Also, screws don't necessarily need to be the same size/length as the nails. To get a good hold, the screws only need to go 1/2'' into the second piece of wood... and trying to drive them much further than that can be a real pain in the butt if you don't have an impact driver. I would measure the depth of the wood that the screw will have to go all the way through and get screws that are about 1/2-3/4'' longer. I recommend #6 or #8 screws (whichever you can find a better deal on), as either one will work well for your project.

It's hard to guesstimate based solely on a photo of the pieces stacked up, especially without seeing a picture of the finished hutch, but I'm guessing you'll need screws with a length in the 1 1/4-1 5/8 range. If you're going to have to screw through the thinner/solid pieces of wood front to back (as opposed to going into them from the side with a thicker piece on the outside, if that makes sense) then you'll probably want two different screw lengths.

If you run into trouble trying to DIY the instructions, feel free to upload pictures of the directions that came with it and what the finished hutch is supposed to look like (photo of the box or website link to a site that sells it) and PM them to me - I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out :).

Presents don't have to be expensive or complicated. My rabbits got a loaf box. It was supposed to be a dig box--just a cardboard box filled with shredded paper. But so far they've just loafed in it, lol.

Lol @ "loaf box"... bunnies love to loaf, so I imagine they're happy to have a loaf box. Better than them turning it into a pee box!

I've found that, with rare exception, very cheap or free prezzies tend to go over better than pricier ones anyway. Like most cats, they'd usually rather play with something you'd otherwise throw away (milk jug rings, for example (with cats, that is)) than an expensive pet store present :p. It's such a "screw you" when you've just bought them something nice, but once you embrace the idea it can be a real money-saver, lol.

Wow everybody's buns look so awesomely lucky and spoiled!! I planned to get more for Silver, but there was hardly anything good left at the store. I plan to get him more when the store restocks its rabbit toys.

My recommendation? Skip the pet store and go to a dollar store (where things are actually $1, not Dollar General or something), then wander the aisles while trying to think like a bunny :D.

Imagine you were your bunny's size... what could you pick up in your mouth and wave or toss around? What could you head-butt to push or roll around? What could you dig up, chew apart or otherwise destroy?

Cat balls (ones with a bell are good, as many bunnies like bells), whiffle balls, various hard plastic baby/toddler toys, untreated wicker baskets and that sort of thing are always good. Food storage containers (ie bowls/squares) can often be found 3-4 for a dollar - the small size, light weight and rim around the top make it easy for a bunny to pick up and throw them.

As for non-dollar store ideas...

Cardboard egg cartons (as long as they don't have colored ink and are free of any raw egg residue) can be good toys... you can cut them to whatever size you want and maybe hide treats inside.

Paper lunch bags stuffed with hay and maybe some veggie/fruit treats (very limited amounts for non-leafy green veggies and for fruits) can be fun.

Disposable plastic cups or little single-serve "bowls" (the kind that some snack foods like pudding, jello, apple sauce, fruit, etc. is sold in); wash thoroughly if the contents weren't bunny-safe.

Nala loves a plastic spoon as an interactive toy - she'll grab it from your hand, wave it around and throw it.

Here's another idea:
Magazine tip-in cards (those annoying light card stock mailing cards you pull out of magazines) are great toys.

natasha_1942-6466.jpg

Couple tips on that... I've found that Walmart is cheaper than HD/Lowe's for screws whether you're buying a few or a huge box, though their selection isn't as great. If you have any off-brand type hardware stores in your area, those can be good, too - especially if they have bins where you buy screws by weight and can choose as few or as many as you need. I picked up my kiddie pool from a store called Turner Hardware (small chain) and they had drywall screws in various sizes for $2.95 a lb among other things. I usually use drywall screws for lumber because I'm too lazy to go out and buy wood screws when the drywall ones work just fine (though pilot holes help a good bit with wood) and are often cheaper :p.

Also, screws don't necessarily need to be the same size/length as the nails. To get a good hold, the screws only need to go 1/2'' into the second piece of wood... and trying to drive them much further than that can be a real pain in the butt if you don't have an impact driver. I would measure the depth of the wood that the screw will have to go all the way through and get screws that are about 1/2-3/4'' longer. I recommend #6 or #8 screws (whichever you can find a better deal on), as either one will work well for your project.

It's hard to guesstimate based solely on a photo of the pieces stacked up, especially without seeing a picture of the finished hutch, but I'm guessing you'll need screws with a length in the 1 1/4-1 5/8 range. If you're going to have to screw through the thinner/solid pieces of wood front to back (as opposed to going into them from the side with a thicker piece on the outside, if that makes sense) then you'll probably want two different screw lengths.

If you run into trouble trying to DIY the instructions, feel free to upload pictures of the directions that came with it and what the finished hutch is supposed to look like (photo of the box or website link to a site that sells it) and PM them to me - I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out :).

😵 so much information!!!! Luckily my dad is staying around for a while before he has to go back to work and he's an architect so he probably will know what your talking about more than I would! I think he probably has an impact driver. Here's some pictures of the hutch from the website because the box only had a sketchy drawing. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388072440.862712.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388072460.501290.jpg ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388072398.702863.jpg (I don't know if I attached those right) thanks for all the help!!!

Lol @ "loaf box"... bunnies love to loaf, so I imagine they're happy to have a loaf box. Better than them turning it into a pee box!

Yes, they especially like to loaf in the dig box and dig in places where I'd rather they just loaf lol. I haven't looked in it this morning, though, and I am afraid it may have doubled as a pee box.

I've found that, with rare exception, very cheap or free prezzies tend to go over better than pricier ones anyway. Like most cats, they'd usually rather play with something you'd otherwise throw away (milk jug rings, for example (with cats, that is)) than an expensive pet store present . It's such a "screw you" when you've just bought them something nice, but once you embrace the idea it can be a real money-saver, lol.

Yes, they remind me of young children in that way xD If you buy them a big, fancy toy they'll spend all afternoon playing with the box it came in.

Latest posts

Back