what could be wrong?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acacia-Berry

Reaction score
We just came back from holidays Jan 2. We were gone for 2 weeks, my sisters and mother were going to the house everyday to feed and look after my babies. The night I got home I didn't try too hard to bother Acacia bc she seemed afraid. The next day I cleaned her condo and put her in the bathroom for an hour or so and she was fine, coming up to me playing with boxes and flowers and kicking blankets around.
Yesterday I gave her a bit of banana (even though I told myself to cut her sweets since I'm sure she over ate on sweets while we were gone) and it looked like she gagged on it. I know rabbits cannot vomit so I was thinking banana got stuck in her tooth. She pawed at her face and kind of tilted her head to that side. (it's on the side she had her surgery a couple years ago)
She is eating a little bit. It's not unusual for her to not eat all her veggies some nights or pellets in the day. So to make sure she was eating I gave her a raisin and the same thing, she pawed at her face and tilted her head.
Here's where I worry, her poops are tiny and dark colored and hard. And I caught her grinding her teeth after her raisin.
I had my bf hold her still and I looked at the teeth tha I could without hurting her and I checked the outside of her head. It feels symmetrical on both sides, doesn't feel like anything is out of place.
I wonder if she maybe hurt her gum with a strong piece of hay? Or if she has a cavity (I don't know if bunnies can get cavities). Or if her tooth is maybe growing out weird. She's only 5 years old, I never had any problems with her teeth before. Can maloclusion occur at this stage in her life with no history of tooth problem? She has always eaten her hay, no problem so they should be worn down properly.
She will be seeing a vet but I was wondering what you guys can suggest might be wrong with her??

Sounds like it could be a tooth issues. Pain while eating.
Causing a lesser intake of food which is changing her poops. Sometimes just like people sweet or sticky things can cause issues (banana raisin) while normal food like bread or veggies wont depending on what the issue at hand is.

Could be spurs, infection, anything. Youre on the right steps to having it checked out.

Hopefully others members who have dealt with tooth issues can jump in.

I have changed your topic title to include "what" instead of the previous statement used.

(ugh, I cannot believe the trouble it took to re-find this thread!! I don't like having to "watch" my own threads...)
Thanks for the replies :) She's still eating which is good. I held her last night and there was a small bit of dried eye discharge. So I know it's her teeth at this point.
I'll let you know the outcome when we come back from the vet. Currently I have no internet at home and have been using it at school.. Hopefully it will be back so I can upload my pictures and up-to-date when we find out.

Thanks again, I took another look at her tonight. She is no longer watering at the eye and she is still eating (thank goodness!) I felt her face again, no lumps or asymmetrical feelings. I think maybe she punctured herself with hay? Perhaps, that would still be better than having her teeth filed down!! I have been keeping very vigilant watch on her, gave her a juice soaked banana peel (this is a super extraordinary treat and not one I would often give) and a raisin tonight- she does not show signs of discomfort while eating anymore (phew!)
But do not fear, I will bring her to the vet still! I actually only have 10$ to my name until my student loan comes this week, so I was hoping she would be okay until then. I'm not new to sick bunnies, unfortunately.
I'll keep you all updated! Thanks for the well wishes :)

Latest posts

Back