What Colour is my Rex Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Reaction score
I just adopted a new bunny, his name is Bo he's about 3.5 years old and i just had him neutered this week.

I've done some research and come up with his is a Rex (not mini), and I think in Lynx colouring. I couldn't find a large enough picture to compair him too. So i would like your profession opinions ;)

afm.sized.jpg
afh.sized.jpg

What made me confused in deciding on his colour was that he has a white belly, and an orange undertone around his face.

He does appear to be Lynx -- especially in the second photo where you can see a lilac cast to the coat.

Pam

Sorry to be the oddball, but as a Lynx Mini Rex breeder - You've got an Opal.

The "Tanish/Orange" face markings are the giveaway.

Here's some Lynx Mini Rex pics for comparison:

Resized_GERA1.jpg
Resized_ELEM.jpg

I've noticed that often times the Eye/Jaw/Ear markings in Lynx are a lot more pale in comparison to that of the Opals.

When you blow into the coat over his back what do you see?

Is it Darkor Light at the bottom under the Orangeish color band?

~Sunshine

Could be an Opal -- but appears very light on my monitor - in fact the first photo is so light that it looks like a chocolate agouti (amber). But the second photo appeared to have very light lilac tipping.

Pam

So his fur goes from a Grey outside, to a very fait orange to a white base. He has a white Belly, and some whitening under his jaw and chin.
Does anyone have a good picture of an Opal?

Here are some pictuires of him in natural light (not the flash of the camera)

afs.sized.jpg

afu.sized.jpg

afv.sized.jpg

afp.sized.jpg

Thank You!

Opals "should have" a slate blue undercolor at the very base of their coat (although I've seen white undercolor on some) and the different banding of colors "should be" distinct.

The banding should also be distinct in the Lynx, which would have a very light undercolor.

The fawn (which many exhibitors show as Lynx) does not have the distinct banding that the Opals and Lynx have.

In the natural light, it still appears Lynx or Fawn to me.

The opal has a blue surface color.

Mini Rex variety and undercolor photos: http://www.nmrrc.com/varieties.htm

Pam

From that web site, Bo is definetly looks like a Lynx then b/c he dosn't have the dark orange at all. The Opal in those pictures are much darker then Bo is, and you can see the orange while I had to really look for it in Bo's coat, as it's not bright. His looks much like the second to last picture.

They don't show a "fawn" there, would you have a picture of that colour?
Is it the orangeish colour the Fawn does not have in the undercoat?

Next to the sizes, are their any other differences in the Mini Rex's to the standard Rex bunnies?

I've just a week ago saw my first Mini Rex bunny (OMG adorable!) other then that I've not seen any other rex bunnies in my area.

Thank you for all your help! :)

Andrea wrote:
From that web site, Bo is definetly looks like a Lynx then b/c he dosn't have the dark orange at all. The Opal in those pictures are much darker then Bo is, and you can see the orange while I had to really look for it in Bo's coat, as it's not bright. His looks much like the second to last picture.

They don't show a "fawn" there, would you have a picture of that colour?
Is it the orangeish colour the Fawn does not have in the undercoat?

Next to the sizes, are their any other differences in the Mini Rex's to the standard Rex bunnies?

I've just a week ago saw my first Mini Rex bunny (OMG adorable!) other then that I've not seen any other rex bunnies in my area.

Thank you for all your help! :)
I think it's safe to say yours is not a fawn... Fawns lack Ring color - discernible distinct rings that Lynx and Opal have. On fawns, it will look like the same color starting at the tips and slowly blending down the hair shaft to a lighter base color. Where as Lynx and Opal have the Discernible Tipping, a Distinct intermediate band, and a distinct undercolor.

Not really. Mini Rex is basically a smaller, dwarfed version of their standard counterparts (Rex).

Mini Rex average 3-5 pounds, Rex average 7-9 pounds.

~Sunshine

Cute bunny you got there! i have a standard Rex also, a female. She is castor colored. :)

Back