What color is she?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OntarioHollands

Reaction score
So this is a purebred Holland Lop Doe and I'm wondering what color of Tort she is :)
Her sire is a VM broken Seal and her dam I'm quite sure was a VM Broken Black Tort.

_DSC0203.jpg

_DSC0212.jpg

Her color looks broken black tort to me. Are you sure the parents were Vienna marked and not broken? Vienna marked means they came from a blue eyed white rabbit

I've been told by a lady who was breeding BEW Holland Lops that vienna marked meant that the butterfly on a broken's nose wasn't complete right on the nose and that that rabbit could possibly throw BEW's.

Attached is a picture of her sire (broken black) and dam (broken black tort, I believe)

_DSC0117.jpg

_DSC5466.jpg

If the breeder told you that then I would believe them. Any Vienna marks shouldn't be bred to a non Vienna gene rabbit. In other words Vienna marked rabbits should only be bred and used in a BEW herd. I imagine it can be very difficult to tell the difference between a Vienna marked and a broken Vienna marked rabbit so I would definitely advertise to anyone you sell to that they are Vienna marks.

I didn't get specifically told by a breeder that these rabbits are vienna marked. It was when I was breeding BEW's and Blue Eyed Hollands a couple years back... :)
Does that marking change what it means, if the rabbits don't have Blue Eyes in their ancestry? Or does it mean that they could still possibly throw a Blue Eyed baby?

Color genetics can sure be complicated! :)

She doesn't look like a VM to me, meaning she probably won't throw the BEW or Vienna gene, are her parents definitely VMs? She looks like a broken black tort, no VM from what I can see.

Her Sire's parents are a Broken Sable Point and a Seal. No VM's or BEW carriers that I can see. I don't know what is her dam's color background. :)

So she's just a Broken Black Tort? :)

She is broken black tort.

The vienna gene comes from BEWs and can hide for many generations. However, none of the rabbits pictured show indicators of being carriers.

Vienna-marked rabbits typically have one or two completely blue or marbled eyes, which is the main indicator. Markings vary depending on what they were crossed with. However, an incomplete butterfly (nose marking) has nothing to do with the vienna gene, generally speaking. Any broken-patterned rabbit can have an incomplete butterfly. It's quite common in Holland Lops.

First off in case you can't tell I love lops also. What cuties. No matter what color they are, they are great looking rabbits.
Obviously broken, tort or brown looks like, but I would go with what the breeder told you. They should know..
Color is similar to my Lady on my avatar...

Vanessa

Back