What color are they

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie_martin

Reaction score
If he has blue eyes, I'm guessing he's avienna-marked sable point. You will not want to breed him as he willthrow mismarked babies. I'm guessing he has white somewhere on him -under his nose - on a toe - something like that.

To me, she appears to be broken tort.

Peg

He has blue eyes but they are overcast with red.He is white with that sable color over cast. He was almost completelywhite and then got more of the sable as he grew up. I was just curiousabout what color you thought. I had been told she was a broken tortbefore but thought I would ask while asking about him. What do you meanby mismarked babies. I am new to rabbits?

Is he actually a holland lop or maybe mixed? I was told holland lop, heis larger than a mini lop from what I have read. What are the otherdifferences between the two?

Marie

I'm horrible at knowing the differences betweenholland and mini lops so I'm not much help there. But first a question- are you in the US or somewhere else? I ask because they are calleddifferent things in different countries and I only know the USnames.....

My concern about the blueish eyes is the fact that I believe he isgoing to be a vienna carrier. The vienna gene when bred to anotherrabbit without the gene will give you mismarked babies (I'll show somepictures in a minute but I need to upload them to photobucket.comfirst). If you bred him to another vienna carrier, you could getBEWs...Blue Eyed White babies.

I guess what I'm saying is - I would not use him for breeding unlessyou were going to breed for blue eyed whites - as any babies from himcould carry the gene (they would have something like a 50% chance ofcarrying it) and create mismarks for other breeders.

I will close this comment and go upload photos and come back and add them.

Peg

Ah...I already had some in photobucket...

Harlequin

Vienna Marked Harlequin

Siamese Sable

Vienna Marked Siamese Sable

He has a good chance of giving babies that are "mismarked" like these are...

I hope that makes sense.

Peg

Edited to add: The white parts are the mismarks...

So it puts white in undesirable places? I gotit. But I won't be showing these bunnies. They are my pets!!! Justwondering about color. If I do breed them later, I will sell them forpets only! Around here, not much market for anything else. Not that Iam going to do that. Right now they are just pets.

Thanks for the info.

Marie

The buck appears to be a marten (especially inthe second photo) - either sable point marten or blue pointmarten. Possibly vienna as Peg mentioned if the eyes arebright blue. If they are blue gray, then the rabbit isprobably a blue point marten.

The doe appears to be a broken chestnut agouti or chocolateagouti. I don't think she's a tort because she appears tohave agouti pattern markings (at least from what I can tell in thephoto).

Pam

Ah...Pam would be right (as usual) - she's ourexpert. I'm not used to dealing with the marten coloring and I didn'tpick up on that.

If the eyes are more grey with a red overcast my guessing is he's whatPam said and he probably carries REW (Ruby Eyed (or Red Eyed) White).

Peg

Hi again!

First of all, I have a feeling that what I want to say may sound abruptor rude or something and I don't mean it to sound that way - I justhave a headache right now and am not sure I can word things right...ok?

I would be hesitant to show or breed him without having a breederactually look on him and put their hands on him (and your doe) and makea recommendation. I also would do a lot more studying before breeding.

Over the last couple of months, we've had situations on here wherepeople have bred rabbits with heartbreaking results. Litters have beenlost....does have been lost...one doe got an infection. A number ofproblems can arise when a person is breeding - and when it is a belovedpet or a rabbit you bought for a pet - there can be health issues lateron down the road.

Also, it can be hard enough to find homes for pedigreed purebredrabbits - let alone rabbits that are not pedigreed or purebred. Yes, Iunderstand wanting to breed them for pets..I really do (I am abreeder). But trust me - you don't make money at it (at least not forlong) and many folks can't handle the fact that breeders frequentlylose 25% of the kits between birth and weaning is done. This can be dueto stillbirths, etc.

Anyway - let me try to explain some things...

a. Shows - if he isn't really "show quality" (and I knownothing about Hollands except to know that the crowns are a major thing- but I don't know if he is even a showable color for Hollands) - thenevery time you take him to a show you are paying money to hear himcritiqued....but you are also possibly exposing him to any healthissues that any other rabbit at that show may have. I have heard ofbreeders coming back from shows where a rabbit had wry neck orsomething else - and suddenly it is in their herd for the first time.

Showing is fun - don't get me wrong - and if you really want to show -then invest the money is a show-quality rabbit from a reputablebreeder. This way you are getting a rabbit that will hopefully do wellon the show table.

But from what I've seen of your rabbit- and I honestly and truly knowvery very little about hollands - he doesn't strike me as a show rabbitin his looks. I can't explain it - it has something to do with the waythey sit and hold their head, etc.

b. Breeding - getting back to breeding for a bit..

Certain colors of rabbits are best bred to each other - or left alone.If your rabbit is a marten - I'm not sure I would breed him to achestnut. They are in different color families. You really need toeducate yourself on the different color families and pick one or maybetwo to work with.

Now we can help you with book recommendations and website recommendations....

But also - breeding can get complicated. You need to know what to watchfor if a doe is in distress. First time mamas will frequently havetheir litters "on the wire" instead of in the nestbox...so you maybreed and then lose the whole litter at birth.

Or what if you get a stuck kit? Do you have the funds available to go to the vet for help and shots?

Do you see what I'm getting at? Breeding is more than just sticking tworabbits together and letting them "do it". Its more than just havingbabies (and I'm sitting here halfway watching my weanling babies as Itype this).

It is about choosing the right rabbits to go together to make the righttype and color of babies. Its about knowing the "standard ofperfection" for your breed if you're going to sell rabbits to breedersand people who want to show.

I'm going to say something that may sound mean - but I promise you - I don't mean to make it sound that way.

Let's say I'm looking for a pet rabbit. You are a pet breeder in mytown - and in the next town over is Breeder X who breeds for show andbreeding. She/He is also going to get pet quality rabbits and I woulddrive from my town to their town to get a rabbit (even if it was a bitmore) - simply because they probably know more about the breed and areused to helping new rabbit owners more. Now - I'm not saying everyonewould do that....but I have discovered that mindset. I had some peopledrive EIGHT HOURS ONE WAY to get two of my lionheads - when there werelionhead breeders within 1-2 hours of them....because of myreputation...not my show reputation (I don't show that much) butbecause of my reputation for the way I raise my animals. Thisis partly why I'm saying what I say...

Now if you really REALLY want to breed - then here is what I encourage you to do:

a. Find and join the National club for the breed you want to work with (we can help you with that)

b. Attend some shows and watch the judges as they judge thatbreed. Ask breeders if you can also see their rabbits and touch them.Ask them to explain what it means about a 'slipped crown' or terms youmay have heard the judge use.

c. Then buy a trio to breed with - from a reputable breederwho will provide a pedigree. Get two females and abuck. Breed both females either on the same day or one on oneday and one on the next day. This way if one doe has problems - theother doe can foster.

I personally think this is the BEST way to get into breeding...with a trio from a reputable breeder.

Now you will have "purebred" bunnies - and in the eyes of the customers- even if you're selling them at the same price as pets...they'regetting a "good deal".

I find that my customers - even though they don't get pedigrees fortheir rabbits...love to be able to say, "I have a purebred (fill incolor) lionhead."

Peg

marie_martin wrote:
So he would be ok toshow or breed if I chose to? Not that I am, just asking. Thanks.

Marie

:) I can promise you that I take no offense toanything you said and fully expected the same. I will tell you that Ibreed registered Nigerian Dwarf Goats and completely understand yourconcern for those who choose to breed without doing any research orknowing anything about what they are breeding. I am researching andtrying to learn before making a decision to breed or sell rabbits. Idid breed the two I have one time and posted here asking questionsabout her pregnancy, I think that you responded. I plan to keep anybabies that she has for my kids as pets. I really do not plan to breedthem or sell babies or show, I was just asking questions because I liketo know. I completely understand about the dowfalls in breeding, as Ihave experienced some with my goats and I learn more ever day. And I dosell my goats to pet only homes for now and I can promise you I ask alot of questions and have had to turn down homes that I did not thinkwere suitable. So I would never go into a breeding program lightly. Wemostly raise the animals that we have for our own pets, goats andchickens included. We only sell a few as pets and only to persons welike and feel we can trust. And with the goats, we wether (castrate)any males sold. We try to do our part in keeping goats out of shelters.So you have not offended me and I do appreciate the information.

Marie

This is very off topic, I"m new, so if that's not allowed: I'm sorry! Let me know :)

BUT... you said you breed ND's... I LOVE THEM! THey're the best ;) Ihave 4 wethers. Just had to say that... would love to see pics ofyours...

Also, if you ever have a "dalmation spotted" (one that resembles aleopard appaloosa), and if you're going to sell it, let me know :) Thefirst goat that caught my eye was one, but he was already sold. I'mhappy I saw him though, he got my attention on goats and I'm sogreatful, I LOVE my 4! Anyhow, I'm causually on the lookout for one(wether or doe), but in no rush... so just starting to put out feelers;)

Oh, and your buns are cute!

Jessi

Nice to meet another goat lover, especially anND lover. I absolutely love them all so much. As you can imagine, therumors about goat care and breeding are as bad as the ones aboutrabbits. And most folks can't understand why anyone would raise goats.They just don't have a clue. But that is ok, if they ask, I will tellthem all about it. I don't have any dalmation right now, nor have I hadany. But my newest buck, his mom was a dalmation and I have a doe whosemom was too. So I should be getting some soon I hope. If I do, I willlet you know. My email addy is [email protected] if you want toemail me about your goats and what have you. I should be breeding acouple of does this fall and more in spring. So maybe I will get adalmation out of those. You just never know with nigis. I have a webpage but it is not updated. But feel free to have a look.

http://www.freewebs.com/downsouthminis/

Nice to meet you and every one else.

Marie

I enjoyed your page, your goats are beautiful, I especially love Jasmine :) And the kids on the kids page are adorable! :)

I don't have my website up just yet (hopefully this week I'll finish itand get it up!) but I do have my goats on my photobucket account, here:

Oh dang, I can't link it all the way, photobucket's down formaintenance... this SHOULD take you to my account, then click on goats.There are other goats a few pages into the goat folder from the statefair, where I've obtained 3 of my 4 (from the goat showing, I'm therewith my mini horses while the goats are shown, so that's where Ilearned about them and fell in love!)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v295/CheyAut/

My wethers are Twix (not sure what color he's called, if he were ahorse he'd be a light dun lol), Reeces (I call him a bay pinto haha,the lady I bought him from said some people would say he's achamoisee, but he'stechnically not, but I forget why she said?Butterscotch is... tan and white ? (I obviously failed goat colorterminology!) but Raisinette's easy, he's agouti...

They have such WONDERFUL personalities... people don't understand mylove of goats until they meet them, THEN they get it! I say they're alot like dogs... love to be around us, amuse us easily, liek to run andjump, can be taught tricks (Twix can walk on his hind legs!) and boyare they smart, they come RUNNING when they hear the word "cookie" haha!

It would be awesome if you get a dal! But I'd love to see pics of any kids you get, theyr'e just sooooo cute :)

Jessi

You have some gorgeous goats. I think thatbutterscotch and her sister have some dalmation in their linesomewhere? Beautiful. I can see from all the photos that you love goatsand other animals. That is great. I do too. I would love to have a minihorse some day. They are so cute. Are they friendly with kids? Do youshow your goat or do you just have them to love? or both???? ha ha. Idon't show yet. I have had unregistered until recently. But now that Ihave registered goats, I have to find a show close enough. But I mostlyjust love them. I have some blue eyed and some brown, but I love theblue eyes I have to admit. Jasmine is huge for her age. She is one oftriplets and is 4 1/2 mo. old and is a monster. She is not registeredbut she is one of my favorites. Very sweet. I should have named hernibbler. She loves to nibble me and my clothes. Here is a sight withsome colors for nigis. There are other sites with more info, you justhave to search. And in the end, most folks just come up with a name forwhat they think since nigis are so different.

http://www.americangoatsociety.com/ND Colors and Patterns.htm

Nice to meet you. Email me anytime. I will send you any pics I get of babies.

Marie

Thanks, I love them :) I suppose it's possiblethey have dalmation, their breeder is the one who had the dalmation Isaw and wanted... I should give her a call...

I don't show. Reeces is the only one registered. He was shown by hisprev owner, and has 2 grand champion wether certificates from it. Shesaid she'd help me if I wanted to show him. I think it would be fun,I'm just always busy with horse competitions and performances on goatshow days! She said he's slightly over size, but since he's a wetherthey don't fault that. He's my only blue eyed goat, and I, too love theblue eyes... I recently saw a goat the color of Butterscotch (but MUCHless white) that has blue eyes, and it's just GORGEOUS!

Minis are GREAT!They just LOVE people and attention... well,except my pregnant mare, she was NOT amused with her grooming sessionyesterday, haha! Yup, they're GREAT with kids... kids show them all thetime, there are MANY youth classes at mini shows. My best friend'sdaughter is always petting my stallion, even poked him in the eyeaccidently, and he never does anything but stand there for her. Theyhave great personalities, like the goats do :)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! And I can't wait to see babypics :) My email is[email protected]

So nice to talk to you :)
Jessi

I have another bunny related question. My doeseems to be a bit off right now, not eating as well and just sort ofsolemn? Is that normal given her situation. She keeps getting on oneside of her cage, nearest to the bucks cage, there is an inch betweenthe cages, but she is trying to get as close to him as possible. Is shewanting to re-breed this soon? I know I have read that theywill re-breed pretty soon after having babies, but just curious ifthere could be another reason. She seems fine, like she never had ababy. I am used to goats kidding and then bleeding and so forthafterwards. I have not really noticed any of that. Do they do that?Guess I need to read some more, guess I missed that part somewhere.

Marie

You might want to flip her to look at her privates. If they're bright red or dark red and very moist...she wants to rebreed....

I'm not sure if she could have retained some kits based on what you'resaying - it might be worth having a vet check her - how long has itbeen again since she had the one? I'm thinking it has been long enoughthat she should be fine but I'm not sure.

Peg

It has been about a week I think. I will have tolook at my calendar, but about that. I have felt her abdomen good andit is smaller and also, her chin area is dramatically smaller. Her ventarea is sort of reddish looking like it was when I first bred her. Soshe is probably wanting to be bred. But I am going to wait and give hersome time to recover first. I don't want to wait too long because it isgetting warmer by the day here and I don't want her to go throughpregnancy in the heat if I can help it. I will be bringing her inbefore having the baby/babies though so she would be cooler inside. Anyrecommendations as to what point I should move her and if I will makeher sick moving her into the house? Should I do it early in the amwhile it is cooler out so her body temp does not have to adjust asmuch? Thanks. How long do most wait between litters if the babies died?

Marie

Back