What can i do about being alergic to bunny's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGH_HEAT

Reaction score
I was cleaning out "chubbys" cage last night; my fiancé was holding him with no problems. Keep in mind my fiancé does not live with me right now. She held him for about 10 min and then after that her eyes were so itchy, now I don’t know what to do because we had chubby while we were in college and there were no issues like this at all. Now that she is moving in with me in about one month and so is chubby I don’t know what I can do about this issue. Does anyone have any experiences about being allergic or anything that would help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also mildly allergic to rabbits. She might be ok as long as she doesn't actually handle the rabbit, and takes care not to put her fingers near her face/eyes if she pets the rabbit.

Some people are also sensitive to the allergens given off by the rabbit's saliva and urine as well as the dander in the fur.

An over the counter allergy medication can be taken for mild allergy symptoms. If symptoms persist, she may need to see an allergist.

Pam

I am allergic to my 3 bunnies as well. In the spring my allergies can be almost unbearable. We've sort of dealt with the issue by housing my rabbits outdoors and although I don't normally recommend keeping rabbits outside, if they get attention, time to run, and everything they get inside, it's ok to house them outside. Of course, that also depends on your living situation and you may not be able to move them outdoors.

Consistent brushing helps a lot and running over the rabbit with a damp cloth/paper towel will help remove the dander (which is what most people are allergic to) can be very effective.

Other than that, keeping the rabbit away from the face and washing hands immediately after touching them is the most effective way to keep the eyes from getting itchy. You could always have a few 'no bunnies allowed' rooms where she doesn't have to worry about allergies, although hair does still get tracked in on clothes, feet, and other ways but it helps minimize it.

I also recommend an over the counter allergy medication like Reactine, it works great for me.

Latest posts

Back