What bunny sound is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
Hans makes this sound when I pet him. I finally managed to get a video but it's horribly dark! All you can see are some whiskers, LOL, but at least the sound comes through :D

Can anyone tell me what this sound is called? Is it honking?

Here's the link to the video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3n2CK2CL4[/ame]

Hans likes to sleep in the darkest corner of my room, it's really hard to get a decent video, but here's a picture of him lounging in his little corner :biggrin2: :

DSC_7534copy.jpg

i had a foster bunny who honked ALL the time. he did it mostly when he was eating (he sounded like a littlepiggie!) and when he was relaxing. i will try to find one of his recordings...

he was quite loud too. he would be in my room upstairs, and you could hear him downstairs!

Hmm, I'm confused :?, when I've had rabbits make this noise before it's been in times of stress, so can it be both a happy and not happy sound?

Yep, a long time ago I had a thread with a video and was advised on here that the bunny (Lucky) sounded distressed. She was sick at the time and when I touched her she made a honking sound similar to the above.

I'd have to go back and find the thread but I think people were saying it was a "I'm in distress/not feeling well/don't touch me" kind of thing?

I recall that but I have heard of bunnies who just do it to do it.

Keep searching for the thread.

Oh, great! So it IS honking hee hee thanks guys!!

My other buns, Buttons and Yohji, hardly ever make any sound. I've only heard Buttons growl when a new bunny joins the household. They don't thump either :p

Hans is my first vocal bunny. So every sound I hear from him is new to me! Right now, he mostly honks when I pet him. Sometimes, I find him doing the meatloaf and honking to himself and it always makes me laugh :D

Have you managed to find your thread, NZminilops?

mr. bunnay, my foster who honked, did it the loudest when he was all stretched out under my bed. so, i concurr that it can be done not just in fear.

mr. b's nose was all stuffed up when he was found, in a box outside a petco in winter. so i think that was partially why he honked. or maybe not. i dunno, but it was so funny and adorable to me!

No I haven't :?, I found the video though, she did sound different to your bunny, sort of almost like that honk noise mixed with a guinea pig noise.

Must be cool to have a vocal rabbit :D.

Another really good video with bunny honking and "beeping" -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ogJaVQ2aU&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ogJaVQ2aU&feature=related[/ame]

My bun makes a sort of "grr-honk" sound (comes from her chest) when she's excited and wants to play. Lately she's started to make a squeaky nasal sound when she's really happy about being petted - she kind of alternates that with tooth purring.

Yofi 'honks' whenever I pick him up and he wants down. He hates being held and certainly lets me know it (if I don't listen to him I may wind up with a small nip since he also hates being ignored ;)).

Latest posts

Back