What breed of Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo007

Reaction score
Hello

We bought mr biggles 6 months ago at only 5wks old, we were told he was netherland dwarf, but as you can see from the picture he's not.

Can anyone tell us the breed, and would it be worth us breeding with him?

thanks

Damion

Welcome to the forum! I moved this to the Rabbitry.

Is this a current picture? How much does he weigh?He's very cute! But he's definately not a dwarf. I can't see any definate breed in him, although maybe the more experienced people will. He looks like a Heinz 57 ("mutt"rabbit) to me, although there's nothing wrong with that in a pet.

I don't recommend breeding him at all, or doing any sort of crossbreeding unless you are an experienced breeder working on specific goals. If you are interested in breeding, please join the ARBA, go to shows, and invest in high quality purebred stock.And learn all you can!

And BTW "worth breeding" is a relative term. Rabbit breeding is a hobby and most breeders do not make a profit at all.They're in it for the rabbits and their specific breed."Worth breeding" to them means excellant body type, fur, and color,with a good pedigree, and preferably a good personality to boot.:)

It would help if we could see more pictures - I'm thinking he's closer to being a flemish mix.

Have you done any research at all into breeding? Yes, I am a breeder...yes I did a ton of research about potential problems, etc.before I started breeding and I have to tell you the following things.

a. It isn't all fun. I expect about a 25% mortality rate among my kits before weaning age - sometimes less, sometimes more.

b. What I make from sales doesn't pay for my food bill, medications, etc.

But there are a lot of things folks need to learn before breeding - and I really recommend breeding only PUREBRED rabbits with Pedigrees. It is hard enough to sell those rabbits without trying to sell crossbreed or "mutt" bunnies.

Yes, I know I sound like I'm discouraging you. But before you breed - I encourage you to go to some rabbit shows or talk to some rabbit breeders and learn about breeding and buy quality rabbits that anothe rbreeder believes is good enough for breeding.

Peg

He looks like a baby Samantha!!!

100_4599.jpg

Latest posts

Back