What breed of rabbit do I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger101

Reaction score
Are my rabbits just"meat" bred or do you see a specific breed? Trigger we got from someone who was going to use her as meat(rest of story in introduction) and Oreo from my uncles friend who go him from a pet store. Im just curious :)

Pics
Oreo
013-10.jpg

Trigger
017-4.jpg

I used to have a giant Lop eared rabbit(R,I,P brownie) and thats what Trigger reminds me of just smaller.

Trigger could be a Holland Lop or Mini Lop. I am not an expert at telling the difference. I have a Holland in my avatar.Idk about Oreo. They are both really cute though.
ETA: Comapring my boy and Trigger I think Trigger may be a Mini Lop, by the shape of his head. Do you have nay pics of a side view?

I don't have weights on them(cant remember what the vet said but I know not as much as my cats) but I know both are over 2 years old(vet guess)

Best side pics I could find
024-7.jpg

018-8.jpg

I definitely don't want to say english spot mix because I've seen plenty of them I don't look at him and see one. Im thinking broken New Zealand mix?

Trigger101 wrote:
Gosh I had no idea about half of these breeds I need to go do my research!

Same here when I first started with my bunnies Kreacher and Dobby.

They are both sweet! It's fun to try to figure out, plus with the research you learn so much more about bunnies in general.

K:)

Trigger101 wrote:
Thanks for the links!! His fur is REALLY soft. If it helps triggers feels silky.
That sounds like Rex or mini-Rex - when I saw the first picture, that was what popped up in my mind. He's got a Rex look about him, like my Scone and Natasha.

The best way to tell if he's a Rex is to look at his fur. Non-rex fur has longer guard hairs and shorter undercoat, and tends to lie flat. Rex fur should look and feel like velvet, with all the hairs the same length and standing up away from the body. If Oreo's whiskers are short and kinky instead of long and straight, that's the final clue - he's a Rex or mini-Rex.

As to whether he's a standard or mini-Rex, that's all about size. If he's five pounds or less, he's probably a mini-Rex. Standard Rexes tend to be more like 8-9 pounds. My Scone was around five pounds, Natasha's just a bit over (and the vet says she's a bit overweight, so she's on a reduced pellet diet).

Trigger could be a French lop...a mini lop usually weighs around 6lbs and French usually weights 10+lbs. It's hard to tell how big he really is from the photos.

I'm thinking Mini Lop for Trigger and Oreo looks maybe like a Mini Rex.

New Zealands have huge ears, I have a Red New Zealand. He weighs around 10 pounds too. :)

Latest posts

Back