what breed is Sophie?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell8684

Reaction score
can anyone on here tell me what breed my princess sophie is? we bought her at the pet store, and she was in the pin marked 'mixed rabbits' they only had 2 little girls and they were both i dentical. i have uploaded pix of her on here, so if anyone has any insight -- please help!

148483_172627236095432_100000444691600_459049_2426226_n.jpg

148331_172642922760530_100000444691600_459136_7083366_n.jpg

154865_172622852762537_100000444691600_459043_5687371_n.jpg

Color is chestnut agouti. It looks like some kind of lop mix. She has a more triangular head than a purebred show mini lop or holland lop.
Cute girl though :)

I agree with the above post and would guess that she is a Mini Lop mix...Holland Lops are not as common in the chestnut agouti color.

excellent! thank you both very much! is there anything specific about that breed that i should know about? the only other rabbit interaction ive ever had is when i was younger (around 8 or so) and my biological dad (whom i didnt live with) had a lot of small (and sort of wild) bunnies in an outdoor rabbit cage for a couple of weeks... we have a hamster, and my mom had a pug, cat, and fish... ive had puppies, goats, kittens, ducks, a ferret, multiple hamsters, and guinea pigs throughout my childhood years... but bunnies are a new venture for me, my husband i both have known people who have had indoor bunnies that they litter trained and had free reign in there house, which is what we are doing with sophie... so any advice is VERY welcome and appreciated...

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I agree with the above post and would guess that she is a Mini Lop mix...Holland Lops are not as common in the chestnut agouti color.
Still could be a holland. Say, mixed to a mini rex castor, you would probably get 100% chestnuts. (since the rule seems to be castor only to castor, which would make AA BB CC DD EE genetics down the line... meaning any outcross would only produce castors/chestnuts. ;D)

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Still could be a holland. Say, mixed to a mini rex castor, you would probably get 100% chestnuts. (since the rule seems to be castor only to castor, which would make AA BB CC DD EE genetics down the line... meaning any outcross would only produce castors/chestnuts. ;D)
Her type still leads me to believe she is some type of Mini Lop mix, with the longer face, longer ears, narrower face, and lower headset.

There is no way to know for sure, she *could* be anything. But generally Holland mixes will have a rounder shorter face, rounder ear (even if long), a bit wider face, and higher headset. Not always, because it's not guaranteed that a mix will be out of type-correct purebred rabbits. Like I said, just a guess. :)

I'd say Holland mix. When I crossed my two original Hollands, I had a chestnut agouti buck in it, and the orange doe was built like that, slimmer face. our only thought was it was the buck, since the doe never threw off spring that looked like that with my other bucks, just the one.

Back