What breed is right for me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennJenn

Reaction score
Hi!

I currently have one rabbit and his name is Bun Bun. He is an English Spot and he weighs 8lbs. Bun can be sweet but he definitely has his moments! I still love him!

I am looking for another male rabbit right now. I am looking fora friendly breed and one that is easy to handle. I know each rabbit is different but I mean the breed in general. I adore Lops and I am also interested in Flemish and Giant Chins (I love big bunnies!).

If you have any advice or know of a particularly friendly breed please let me know. I am open to all breeds, they're all so cute! :rabbithopThanks so much!:rabbithop

'Friendly' is such a relative term. I consider my friendliest bunny to have been a mini-rex who constantly bit me. But that was only when I misbehaved. Otherwise he'd greet people at the door, paw at their legs and generally be very happy to be interacting with his human roommates. He was not, however, a 'laid back' little guy.

One of the friendliest rabbits on the board is an American Fuzzy Lop (Sebastian), but I have a friend with one (Fuzzy) and he's walking around with a perfect set of teeth marks on his nose. But Sebastian loves his guardian, and Fuzzy hates my friend.

The breeds you mentioned I think are traditionally calm and friendly bunnies. The larger breeds are traditionally calmer than the small breeds. (I have two manic dwarfs and a happy-go-lucky NZ White cross, so I can attest to that!)

We'll see what others have to say.

sas :bunnydance:

I have a two year old flemish who is super sweet. He will occasionally nip (which does hurt a bit) but it seems he is doing it in a I'm tasting you kind of way.
He gets so excited when I come into the room he is in; he binkies and then jumps on the wall for a treat. He loves being cuddled and will cuddle with me until I stop.
Out of my three bunnies, he is the one who seems happiest to see me and spend time with me (I think that is because my other two are bonded, though).
If you like big bunnies and have space for one (Bruce is in an 8x4 pen and gets out twice a day) flemish bunnies are great.

I hope that helped. Good luck with your search!

YeahI definitely have room for a Flemish and I just love them. I am trying to decide between a Flemish and a Holland Lop right now. I have breeders of each kind that I am going to visit so hopefully that will help with the decision. I might just have to get both!

Bun is a spoiled man. He has a 4x6 cage with tons of chews and fun stuff all to himself. He lives in my bedrooom. I built his cage myself actually from old Martin's rat cages that I had. It looks really nice and he likes it! I have more cages that I will use to make the next bun's cage (I used to have a lot of pet rats!). I'm so excited!

And also I have to brag, Bun Bun learned a new trick today. He does a circle whenever I say the word circle. He of course gets a treat afterwards! It's so cute.

i have to say, its the rabbits personality....
but i think this is because i have 2! um. mini lops. or some times called dwarf lops. they are not very small. medium size...lol

I find lionheads to be cute compact rabbits. My little Suki when you open her hutch she jumps out at you and licks you.

I find lops to be really friendly, by the way, is your current bunny neuteured and the new one you are getting going to be neuteured before you bond them? Other then that there is a very slim chance they will bond.

Dutch are meant to be an excellent friendly and calm breed but it does depend on the rabbit's personality.

Thanks for all the replies!

Bun is neutered but I don't think he will get along with the new rabbit. He is a fiesty one! Also I know males don't generally get along very well. The new bun will have his own set-up. I will try to intro them in neutral territory and all of that fun stuff. If they do get along I will be excited but I'm not really planning on it.

Hey just wanted to throw out a couple ideas. If you love lops and love large rabbits how bout a french lop. They are 10+ pound rabbits and are lops.

Most people consider Mini Lops (The American Mini lop also know as the dwarf lop, even though they aren't dwarf and known as a few other breeds) to be large.... but they are really average, bout 5 or 6 pounds usually. They have a mild personality usually although that depends mostly on the line that htey come from. I personally breed them to be very loving and docile, yet very playful and curious. If the parents are up tight the babies will probably be as well. That is with any breed however.

The American Holland lop (also know as Mini lop in uk and australia) is 2 -4 pounds and is sometimes more high strung (varies by rabbit). There is also the American Fuzzy lop which is basically a holland with wooly fur. Both of these are smallest lops you can get. If you want a large rabbit then these aren't the breeds for you but they are cute. I'd be cautious when bonding rabbits if there are huge size differences. There are many other great breeds and mixes out there as well.

Course there's also English lops that are good size but more slender body and huge ears. I personally don't care for the long ears but there's no doubt they are a lop. :) And they are working on Cashmere (Wooly fur, med size) and plush lops (rex fur, medium size) now too....

Brody, my Holland Lop, is so very friendly and will basically climb his cage wall to get me to pet him (when I am busy, lol!). He will pancake to the cage floor for pets on his head. On the other hand, he is a naughty boy. He will pee all over when I let him out of his cage. He also doesn't eat his cecal poops and leaves them smashed ever where for me to clean. He HATES being held...literally will have a heart attack if I hold him too long.

Marlin, my Lionhead, is a sweetie...but also skittish. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old...but over time he has become very skittish when I walk into the rabbit room. He HATES "strangers" and will throw himself all over his cage when someone "new" walks into the rabbit room. I wish I knew what his deal was :??

Morgan, my mixed bunny, is the most well behaved & friendliest rabbit that I have. He is so happy-go-lucky and loves to be around me.

So.....it all depends on what you want. I suggest going to a shelter/rescue and interacting with rabbits. Let the bunny pick you!

I visited a breeder today. She had the most adorable Holland Lop and Lionhead babies! I got to hold and pet all the babies and pet the mommas. My fiance and I decided on a BEW Holland Lop. He is amale and he stole my heart as soon as I saw him. So sweet too! I am going to pick him up in 2 weeks and I am sooo excited!

Thanks for all you suggestions and help!

Latest posts

Back