What breed is my rabbit????

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Spectacles, Aug 25, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Aug 25, 2019 #1

Spectacles

Spectacles

Spectacles

Hey, I have adopted a gorgeous little bunny, we think she is about 4-5 months old and seems to have stoped growing, she is about 1.3kg I think but I havnt been able to weigh her for a while, she’s a rescue so we don’t know what breed she is, any ideas would be helpful. She’s very long and thin and has a face that strongly resembles the ferrel rabbits that live around Sydney. I was thinking mabey she could be part wild rabbit???? The only thing is she’s grey so i don’t think she is all wild rabbit but I have no idea what?

Attached Files:

rabbitlover2019 likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2019 #2

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

A full body picture would help but I am at a loss I have never seen a rabbit like this. @SableSteel he knows a lot about breeds maybe he can help.

3. Aug 25, 2019 #3

SableSteel

SableSteel

SableSteel

The color is chinchilla. That color is recessive (so both parents need to have the gene for it to make chinchilla babies) and not super common in wild rabbit populations. If you're in australia, the wild rabbits are the same species as domestic rabbits and can interbreed freely (unlike in the US where wild rabbits and domestic rabbits can't mix) so it is possible that it is part wild rabbit but most likely that would be at least a couple generations back and crossed with some breed that comes in chinchilla color. What breed it might be crossed with is uncertain... there's a lot that can come in that color.

Bunny_Mommy likes this.
  4. Aug 26, 2019 #4

Spectacles

Spectacles

Spectacles

I am aware that they are domestic rabbits that are ferrel in Australia but I have noticed that their face shape is different and seems similar to tontos. I have a few full body photos if they are any help, we would like to have an idea of her breed because we were thinking about possibly breeding her in the future. Also is chinchilla a very common colour?

Attached Files:

Bunny_Mommy likes this.
  5. Aug 28, 2019 #5

Spectacles

Spectacles

Spectacles

If anyone can help me out that would be great.