What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aozora

Amy, Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post here, I hope I'm doing it right. I adopted my bunny Mocha about half a year ago from a local shelter and I've always wondered what breed he his and how to describe his colouring. He was listed on the website as a thrianta but he definitely looks anything but! I've already guessed that he might be part lionhead as he is shorthaired for the most part except for a lion's mane around his neck that can grow very long if I don't trim it, but I'm really curious as to what else he might be.

He's roughly a year and a half years old, and the last time we went to the vet in May he weighed 3.6 lb so I'm guessing roughly around there to 4 lb or so. I have attached some photos of him that will hopefully be helpful in helping identify my Mocha!

As for the colouring, it was hard to take proper photos in natural lighting since it was very rainy today so I apologise for the darkness of the photos! He has some lines in his fur that changes every time he moults so I was guessing agouti, but he's much darker around his snout and his ears. Would he still count as an agouti? He also has a very distinctive white spot on his nose and on his four paws to varying degrees (I also uploaded one "cute" photo to show those).

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

I think he is a cross, he seems fairly large to be a lionhead alone but I do see lionhead in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Thanks! I was guessing that he might be part lionhead too but I couldn't for the life of me guess what else he might be. The volunteer from the shelter I got him from was guessing part Dutch as well? But from all the pictures I've seen he's not as round in the face or the body so I wasn't sure...

Love the white nose!

Thank you! It's my favourite part about him too :D

Definitely part lionhead. He reminds me of a rex but he doesn't have the rex fur. Definitely not a cross with a dutch. His coloring is called Black tort and the white spot means he is Vienna marked (Means that one of his parents was a BEW aka blue eye white) He is not under agouti, his color is under the shaded group :)

Definitely part lionhead. He reminds me of a rex but he doesn't have the rex fur. Definitely not a cross with a dutch. His coloring is called Black tort and the white spot means he is Vienna marked (Means that one of his parents was a BEW aka blue eye white) He is not under agouti, his color is under the shaded group :)

Thank you so much for your reply! I had to look up a bunch of the terms you used and learned a ton-- someone told me earlier that Mocha might be siamese sable, but he's looking a lot like a black tort too now that I've seen more images. I wish it was possible to know what else he is besides a lionhead!

Definitely some Lionhead there in the mix and was gonna say Tort in color, but, most of all, CUTE!!

Aww thanks! He's cute but also a huge troublemaker! (AND a total glutton for treats...)

Back