What breed is my bun ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all .. we adopted a beautiful female rabbit she was only 6 weeks old at the time and was your usual rex looking rabbit . She is now 11 weeks old and has developed a lovely head of hair ... I mean you would think she is a lion head ? Weve seen pictures of what her parents looked like and there both short haired rabbits . So what do you guys think she is ? Am I right in thinking shes a lionhead ?

Attachments

• 20200213_184319.jpg
    20200213_184319.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200213_184421.jpg
    20200213_184421.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9
She is! Maybe her parents were mixed and even they are short hair maybe one of their parents was a lionhead. It happens pretty often, some kits in her litter will look like their parents probably, some as their grandparents.
She's a beauty!

She does look like a Lionhead/Rex. Her face has the rex fur. She is so gorgeous! I'm looking for a little lady like her right now :p. Welcome to the forum!

hi, welcome! yup, that furry mane around her head definitely indicates lionhead somewhere in her ancestry. shes adorable!

She does look like a Lionhead/Rex. Her face has the rex fur. She is so gorgeous! I'm looking for a little lady like her right now :p. Welcome to the forum!

She is beautiful isnt she ....only problem is she gets the litter stuck in her bum fur . So a lot of grooming is required

She is beautiful isnt she ....only problem is she gets the litter stuck in her bum fur . So a lot of grooming is required
If she's still 11 weeks she'll learn to clean herself, possibly. when i had some extra fluffy babies they were all covered with hay pieces first but later learned and somehow keep themselves clean, well it depends on individual rabbit, some are more messy some are extremely tidy. Their father is extra fluffy but he is extra tidy as well so some of his kits are very tidy too, especially some boys and they are very good with their toilet, using just one spot in one corner so easy to clean.
Now babies are 5 months old and most of them have same double mane like yours and one girl is all very fluffy, but they are all quite tidy I brush them time to time but when they were younger I did at least twice a week so they liked it and after brushing usually started cleaning themselves better.
What litter you use? I use wood pellets they are great

In your avatar photo, it looks like you're using wood shavings. I'd also recommend the wood pellets. They are more absorbent and are still cheap. Plus, they shouldn't get stuck in her fur or dragged around the cage. :)

I also see the tiny corner litter box. It's a good idea, now as she's getting older, to consider getting a larger rectangular box. The bigger, the better. It should be plenty large enough that she could lay down and fully stretch out inside the box. It is more enticing for her to go in.

This is an old photo but it shows the white rabbit in a good size litter box...
upload_2020-2-13_16-7-33.png

Last edited:
In your avatar photo, it looks like you're using wood shavings. I'd also recommend the wood pellets. They are more absorbent and are still cheap. Plus, they shouldn't get stuck in her fur or dragged around the cage. :)

I also see the tiny corner litter box. It's a good idea, now as she's getting older, to consider getting a larger rectangular box. The bigger, the better. It should be plenty large enough that she could lay down and fully stretch out inside the box. It is more enticing for her to go in.

View attachment 45132

Yeah it's the wood shavings we use . We do have a much bigger one outside the cage . They hardly spend anytime in there cage . Just threw the night . But yes it's a nightmare when the shavings get dragged threw the house. I'll definitely try the pellets . We have the wood pellets in the cats litter tray so I'll try it out with the buns . Thanks

If she's still 11 weeks she'll learn to clean herself, possibly. when i had some extra fluffy babies they were all covered with hay pieces first but later learned and somehow keep themselves clean, well it depends on individual rabbit, some are more messy some are extremely tidy. Their father is extra fluffy but he is extra tidy as well so some of his kits are very tidy too, especially some boys and they are very good with their toilet, using just one spot in one corner so easy to clean.
Now babies are 5 months old and most of them have same double mane like yours and one girl is all very fluffy, but they are all quite tidy I brush them time to time but when they were younger I did at least twice a week so they liked it and after brushing usually started cleaning themselves better.
What litter you use? I use wood pellets they are great

Yeah she must be a messy baby . I hardly see her grooming herself. We brush her a few times a week and she enjoys it as she is such a cuddly girl. Shes not too keen on being picked up, but no shock there . So adorable arent they

View attachment 45132

Makes sense though that she is pooping allover the Cage as that little one isnt enticing enough to go in . Every morning without fail theres poop in every corner of the cage . We may considering getting a whole new set up now . The cage she is in has 2 levels. The top is where they relax and eat . Bottom has the litter in and some hay also . But I think we will consider an even bigger one now. Thanks for your help

We may considering getting a whole new set up now . The cage she is in has 2 levels. The top is where they relax and eat . Bottom has the litter in and some hay also . But I think we will consider an even bigger one now. Thanks for your help

If you are looking for inspiration, you may want to take a peek at the threads that have photos of everyone's cages. Here are the latest (2020 & 2019). There are more pics in the 2nd link since it is still early in 2020.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back