What breed is Mason?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Reaction score
I feel stupid for asking this since in highschool, I was forced to learn all dog, cat, rabbit, and guinea pigbreeds for an FFA competition. Of course, that was 4 years ago andsince I haven't used the info, I've lost most of it. Does anyone knowwhat breed of rabbit Mason is?

If it helps, he's large and has one ear that goes up while the other goes to the side.

maymay5.jpg

maymay2.jpg

My guess would be a french lop...

He's beautiful.

How much does he weigh? Clearly (duh) he's a lop of some kind, but nota clue what. But people might have a better idea if they could gage hisweight :)

I edited this post about 10 times in the last 3 minutes *hehe*

I don't have an exact weight... I hope I'm not completely off, but he's around... maybe 3-4 pounds? Maybe more...

I'm going to scruff him and get him on the scale with me :) I'll do that in a few minutes.

Just a guess, bgut if he is 3-4 pounds, then maybe a minilop? But obviously that's a pure guess, lol.

:D if you can't weigh him, maybe try to take apic or something with a hand in, or something obviously recognisable sopeople can relate his size to that object. I only say that because helooks a similar size to our dwarf lops (the UK equivalent of a USminilop) but clearly he's bigger than that :)

An english lop has huuuuuge long ears, so Idon't think he's one of those. He looks a bit like a mini lop and aholland lop to me? I'm not american though and a mini lop is somethingdifferent over here.

Check out the breeds section we have here at RO,it might be of some help.

P.S not sure what scruffing a rabbit means, but it sounds painful!

English Lops have very long ears! Your bunny is definitely not an English Lop.

inca.gif

(Source:http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.com/Breed_Gallery/English_Lop.htm)

French Lops are normally over 9 lbs I think.

Yours looks like aHolland Lopto me -- they average3-4 lbs I believe but one of my purebred does is 4 3/4 lbs, it's notunheard of for them to be up to 5 lbs. Or possibly a Mini Lop, theyaverage 5-6 lbsI think.

Yes a lot of animals scruff their babies to movethem. However, rabbits are not one of these animals. They arenot meant to be scruffed and it's dangerous to your rabbit to do it.Their necks are very fragile. Not to mention, a powerful kick canactually break their backs which is why a rabbitshouldalways have their feet supported but I haveheard of people scruffing as well as supporting as an extra precautionbut a rabbit should never be picked up by their scruff.

My agriculture teacher was the one who told meto scruff rabbits. When I do scruff Mason, I hold the rest of his body,I don't just let it hang. I won't scruff him anymore, but do you haveany ideas on how to move him from one place to another? Any other way Ipick him up, he freaks out and I end up bleeding from my wrists, armsand hands.

Maybe use some strong leather, or gardeninggloves so that he will get the idea that being picked up is not a badthing, and then he should get used to it, whilst you also have minimalscratches

Flashy wrote:
Maybe use some strong leather, or gardening gloves so thathe will get the idea that being picked up is not a bad thing, and thenhe should get used to it, whilst you also have minimal scratches
I could use the gloves (non-leather... I don't wear or eat animals),but that really wouldn't protect my wrists and arms. I have bad scarsall over my wrists (I look like a cutter). And I do keep his nailstrimmed. One time I picked him up and he scratched my wrist so bad thatblood was just flowing down my arm. It's very discouraging... that'swhy scruffing is effective. I just found4 vet websites thatsays you can scruff a rabbit, as long as you hold its body for supportand it's only for a very short distance. The only time I ever have toscruff Mason is when I'm moving him from one cage to another. Masonnever seems to be harmed by this. He actually gets happy once I movehim to the other cage.

What about gloves that people who handle birdsof prey use. I'm looking into getting some because one of my buns ishighly vicious due to his hormones.

Not sure how expensive they are though.

Also, maybe try dropping a towel over his head. Often bunnies get subservient and stay will if their eyes are covered.

I'll have to check the price of those. They're probably made of leather too.

I've tried the towel thing and it freaks him out before I even try topick him up. I should just get him an elevator from his main cage tohis transport cage :)

Gardening gloves. lol, I just remembered that Iused to use those. They are not leather, but that are certainly biteproof, and I believe that you can get longer ones too, up the elbowsand such, for dealing with brambles, etc.

Ok, I really am out of ideas now, lol

I'll just have to wrap my arms and hands inan Acebandage :)

He doesn't bite at all, just scratches. I know he isn't doing it to be mean, he's just scared.

Sorry, I'm not trying to wear your brain out :p

Latest posts

Back