What breed is Herman?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoLittleBuns

Reaction score
I bought Herman from a local farm store thinking he was a lion head. But now that he has grown up, he doesn't really look like a lion head. Was just curious to see what everyone thought his breed might be!

Herm009.jpg

NewPlayArea010.jpg

Tortuga003.jpg

He weights about four pounds. When he was a baby he had LOTS more hair on his head. He had a huge mane, but when he got older it thinned out. So I started to wonder if he was a lion head mix..

He is definitely at least part lionhead. Even the purebred lionheads tend to get thinner manes as they get older, or even lose them completely, dependng on their genetics.

yeah... at least half lionhead.

(Back to hotot idea a couple posts above ^^^)
He looks like a charlie (broken with less than 10% color and no butterfly). Brokens have eye circles. So thats why he has the eyeliner markings. :)

wooly_queen wrote:
yeah... at least half lionhead.

(Back to hotot idea a couple posts above ^^^)
He looks like a charlie (broken with less than 10% color and no butterfly). Brokens have eye circles. So thats why he has the eyeliner markings. :)

As far as I understand, Charlies actually have butterfly markings, of which he has none. The entire reason they called them Charlies in the first place was because it looked like they had moustaches like Charlie Chaplin.

Yes, brokens do have eye markings, but they usually do not have eye markings that are that clean and that small. That is a characteristic of only the Hotot.

lelanatty wrote:

As far as I understand, Charlies actually have butterfly markings, of which he has none. The entire reason they called them Charlies in the first place was because it looked like they had moustaches like Charlie Chaplin.

Yes, brokens do have eye markings, but they usually do not have eye markings that are that clean and that small. That is a characteristic of only the Hotot.

Charlies are lightly marked and may or may not have butterflies.

The eye markings can be produced through homozygous english spotting gene alone, so don't necessarily indicate hotot. (hotots are english spotting & dutch gene).

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I went on the internet and found pictures of lionhead/hotot bunnies. Herman looks very similar, so I'm thinking that'swhat he is. :)

Latest posts

Back