What breed is he and how big will he be when he grows up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say 50/50 lol there is no denying it with those ears.
my young one with a hair cut
7097025435_fbec20a324_z.jpg

6950953524_66945a0b6c_z.jpg

6875237600_1f8d7c0248_z.jpg

again the wool gene is recessive. All first generation mixes are short haired and look like normal rabbits.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! Maybe he is indeed part Angora. It's so hard to tell what an Angora really looks like under all that fur! I will post pictures of him again when he is full grown, that may help.

His personality is very endearing. He's a shy little man. We've had him for 3 weeks now and he's one of the shyest bunnies I've ever had. He lets me pet him, but he often looks a little scared and sometimes moves away from me. He also lets me pick him up with no problem and does not struggle even though I know he's scared. Not trying to scare him of course, just trying to help him adjust! He's such a darling little fellow and is definitely making me earn his love :D I am completely crazy about him! Oh and when he's out of his cage, he's very curious and likes to explore and binky, but does come over to visit me sometimes. My little Padraig is such a sweetheart!

This is a trait bred into angoras. They are supposed to be calm while being held due to the extreme amount of grooming needed. I very very rarely get scratched by mine even if they are scared.

In my very limited bunny experience, I almost wanna say that the whole litter is angora mixed with flemish giant. The ones that don't look angora, look flemish. To me :). The white one and the black one, particularly. I've seen lots and lots of flemish bunnies recently in my search for one (and I ended up with a checkered).

I have to agree with lindsey...podge looks a bit angora-y. That would explaon thr chubby lop features too'

Okay, what age would you expect the testicles on a bun like Podge to start showing? Early this morning I was holding him and took a peek, and his balls are starting to show! Oddly, his scrotum looked empty, but when I gently blow air on his super fluffy tush, I can see his scrotum. His estimated age according to what the lady who ditched them at the shelter said is just at 14 weeks. I peeked at him on Monday and no sign of balls then.

This may be sad, but I can't remember exactly when my other boys sprouted balls! I had Cinnabun and Maximus from babyhood and I don't remember exactly how old they were. Could probably go look in my blog, I seem to recall making a post when Maximus became a "man"! :D

Forgot to comment on this before, interesting that Angoras are bred to be still while being held. It makes sense! Padraig is so good at staying still. So were his siblings, even though I could tell they were pretty skittish. He's so soft and fluffy and roly poly, it takes all my willpower not to take him out of his cage all the time to hug him! Dare I say it? He's actually more fun to hug than... RORY! Don't tell Rory. I'm still just as crazy about Rory as usual, of course. Just Podgie is big and chubby wubby and super fluffy and shaped like a soccer ball.

Little Podgie is getting bigger and bigger! I weighed him and he's now 4 lbs 7 oz. He has been consistently gaining 5 ounces a week! No sign of his growth slowing down :) He is almost an entire pound heavier than our next biggest bunny, Rory!

Okay, the Podgemeister is now full grown I think! He's about 9 months old and is in the high 6 lb range. I swear he seems bigger. He is one beefy bunny rabbit! Here are a couple pictures of him that I took today, does he still seem angora-ish?

IMG_9578resized.jpg

IMG_9580resized.jpg

Also, his fur is very odd in that he never stops shedding! He has been shedding since the day he came home. The interesting thing is that it doesn't float around the living room or anything and is not especially fluffy once it leaves his body and you can roll it up into a ball easily. He himself is quite fluffy though and his fur is longer and woolier/less shiny than my other bunnies, you can kind of see the texture in the photos. He looks kinda chunky sometimes but really isn't, he's just very fluffy and has a stocky (though not fat) body.

Oh and his laidbackedness (yay new word) continues. He does not enjoy being held, but tolerates it to the point that I can hold him like a baby and clip his nails and he doesn't fuss. He's also very good at holding one position, as you can see in the photos. I set him down and he just stayed like that! He'll let me position him different ways and hold the pose for a while before he gets bored and hops off.

Podge reminds me a LOT of my Artemis (3/4 New Zealand, 1/4 Silver fox), they're about the same size (she's a little bigger) and a very similar head and ears. (although, Arti has the NZ schnozz). Shy, but not a scratcher. That coat, and the temperament are supposed to be the definition of the Silver Fox breed.
558503_10152110664525319_315893806_n.jpg

with her boy:
259947_10152283790335319_1904684300_n.jpg

I was also reminded of Flemish Giants with the floppy ear tips, but I'm nowhere near an expert.

Podge and Artemis appear to be chestnut agouti in color. On the other hand, Silver Fox rabbits are black with silvering and are also on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy threatened list. So though possible, it is not likely that the breed would be acquired from someone other than a professional breeder/exhibitor.

Podge looks like a standard mix bunny to me. :) Slightly droopy ears wouldn't necessarily indicate lop heritage because ear carriage is determined by the "crown" or cartilage between the ears (not just the ears flopping over on their own). He doesn't have other distinguishing features that would make me claim any particular breed for sure.

Rabbit mixes are difficult to pick out because they often don't carry any telling characteristics. And many breeds don't have coloring or patterns unique to their breed ONLY (unlike some dogs). For example, there are a number of genes that can cause Dutch coloring. So even a rabbit with Dutch markings is not necessarily a Dutch. Type and conformation can vary widely even among purebreds too!

Thanks, Julie and Bex! Podge does not have floppy ear tips. His brother does (or at least did as a baby). Podgie's ears stick straight up! Whatever he is, he is my perfect darling boy and I love him to bits. His origins will just remain a mystery, like my Nedderbug. We have 0 idea what mix Ned is. He's 3 lbs, white with random gray spots... Who knows! All we know is he is cute and sweet and wonderful :)

I'm guessing Mini Lop mix, because he looks exactly the same as my sister's Mini Lop mix, Sparkle. Color is Gold-Tipped Steel. :) I'll post some pictures of Sparkle later so you can compare them. Sparkle grew to be around 10 pounds.

Latest posts

Back