What breed is Bunbuns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~BunBuns~

Reaction score
Here ae the pictures

INFO: the pet shop said that he was a netherland dwarf but some people on this forum don't think so.. i need your opinion. His about 2 pounds maybe.. Pretty light.

babyface.jpg

05-06-071956.jpg

05-06-071953.jpg

05-06-071946.jpg

05-06-071944.jpg

05-06-071731.jpg

117.jpg

116.jpg

115.jpg

SIDE VIEW
113.jpg

(first day)
Bun2.jpg

23.jpg

9.jpg

enough pictures..^_^

THANK YOU

-April and Bunbuns~

He has a similar body shape to my Sky, the pointeier nose, longer ears, racey body, but my Sky is a nethie (or so his parentage suggests) despite his rather un-nethie like shape.

Bunbuns could be a 'misshapen' nethie, or a nethie mix.

He also looks a similar size to my Sky (comparing him against his surroundings), so I would think he might be heavier than 2lbs, and it sounds as if you are not sure, so it's probably worth weighing him to actually know.

Oh, and his colour might be a broken black otter. He has similar markings to my Star who is a black otter butterfly (which is the UK equivalent of a broken black otter).

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
The color is called Broken Black Otter. I don't think it is a Netherland Dwarf, almost looks like a Polish.

Very cute. Sharon

I don't think he's broken black otter, there's no tanning on his ears or on his lowest spots, as there would be on a broken black otter.

He looks dwarf but not netherland dwarf. Netherlands have very short ears usually about 1 inch in length (i believe thats whats called for in the standard?) don't think he's polish either as polish are very fine boned but also have the short ears like the netherland dwarfs.

I think he's just a mixed breed dwarf :)which seems to be quite common in petshops.

He's absoloutly gorgeous though so enjoy.

- Chantel

hellsmistress wrote:
He looks dwarf but not netherland dwarf. Netherlands have very short ears usually about 1 inch in length (i believe thats whats called for in the standard?) don't think he's polish either as polish are very fine boned but also have the short ears like the netherland dwarfs.

Rabbits ears get longer in the hot weather, so if he was bred at a hotter time, then the ears would be longer than show standard, but that would not necessarily stop him being a nethie, just a nethie with long ears. I'm not saying that's specifically what he is, but he could be.

117.jpg

In this pic, you can see the otter in the ears, and around the mouth and nose.

I'm not an expert by any means, and I am interested to know what you would call this marking (because I have one similar that I was told was a black otter butterfly).

Also, breeds are different in each country. I still think he is a polish as in the U.S. and in Canada, the polish are similar to the Netherland Dwarf but are a little bigger.

Sharon

Are his coloured areas brown or black? In some of the older pictures you posted when you first came on her/got him, he looked like a broken sable marten (otter?) a bit.

Hard to tell though because of the pic quality.

He is a broken but try to get like a profile shot like a side picture of how my rabbits are so it would be alot easier to see the color,because I can hardly tell what color he is in those pictures too dark and some of them are blurry.

He looks like a dwarf cross.

But yes in other countrys it is different of what breeds. But he isn't a Netherland Dwarf.

>>In this pic, you can see the otter in the ears, and around the mouth and nose.<<

You're right sorry, my computer did not load all the pics and i did not see this one. This pic does show quite clearly that he is otter.

>>Rabbits ears get longer in the hot weather, so if he was bred at a hotter time, then the ears would be longer than show standard<<

Ok I'm gonna jump in all bitchy sounding here but that's bull. I live in Australia,my aunt and i breed nethies, rexs, mini rexs and french lops and NEVER has there been any difference in ear length whether the bunnies were bred in 40 degree heat or 4 degrees. Ear length is genetic it has nothing to do with temperature otherwise no one in this country would have a proper nethie! they'd all be long eared kinda dutchy looking things :).

Both those are correct but a point they don't make clear, and thuscreating the myth,is that those types of rabbits have had centuries to make those changes to their body structure whereas our domestic rabbit has been carefully bred to conform to a standard and although their is always your occasional oddball (personally i like the oddballs) which doesn't quite fit in ear length is something that doesn't change that dramatically unless you cross breed.

But an interesting point to add (just to confuse myself too) is that many breeders in Aus are noticing that ear length does seem to be increasing with some breeds (like the nethies).

He might be mixed, but he's not a dwarf. He looks much more like a Polish. His variety though is broken, without question.

***** This post and2 of the following posts were a second thread and has been combined with the original thread once it was located. Bo B Bunny******

Hey guys, i have recently weighed bunny and he is 1.6 kg (kilograms) At the pet shop ive been told he was a girl netherland dwarf... Bunbuns turned out to be a boy.. any way what breed is he? Heres a pic. (Also anyone know his coloring?)
b2.jpg

05-06-071732.jpg

NZminilops wrote:
Are his coloured areas brown or black? In some of the older pictures you posted when you first came on her/got him, he looked like a broken sable marten (otter?) a bit.

Hard to tell though because of the pic quality.
His coloured areas are mostly black but now around his ears, nose and chin its like golden brownish.

I love that picture you have has your avatar (the first one on the thread)

Bun Buns looks like he's trying really hard to climb up (you I assume?) and can't quite get there!

Such a sweet face!

I'm going to add this to the other topic fyi :)

Latest posts

Back