What breed, breeds could my rescued doe be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vosify

Reaction score
Just rescued an older doe who was kept in a box with a piece of wood and a brick on top. No sun at all. ALSO her nails were so over grown her one toe is permanently messed from walking on it wrong.

AND they fed her cat food!! She's very chill, but this could be due to health issues from her former care. Guess we'll see as she adjusts to proper care.

Anyways haha, she's a color iv never seen. Very delicate head, and a rather danty rabbit. Her fur is also short and very silky soft like baby fur. Not like any rabbit iv had before. She's no normal mini Rex or Rex rabbit.

What's your opinions on breed? Also what's her color?

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382933017.318067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Omg poor baby. I assume you got her from some people that grew tired of her?

All the "real" rexes I've seen are rounder in the body than her, and it's hard to tell, but it looks like she might have normal whiskers? *squints* a lot of rex rabbits have either no whiskers or weird whiskers haha. Is she underweight? I just thought I'd throw that out there, I don't have a good eye for those things. But I have heard that "purebred" rabbits that "should" have normal fur are sometimes born with rex fur, they just have that gene in them somewhere. Maybe she's some kind of mutt. I'm sure that someone else will have a more informed opinion than mine. I suspect I have some kind of rex mutt myself, a boy, around 7ish, who looks way different, but maybe they could party together LOL

Is that a bald spot on her chest, or am I imagining that? Poor bunny. She must be so happy to be with you now

Good for you for rescuing her!

She looks like an underweight/underfed standard Rex to me. Put some weight on her and she'll look like a normal Rex again.

Rex fur is recessive, so the odds of her being a mix is pretty slim.

But the breeders here will know better than me.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Actually the vet said she's a fatty and she is a hefty bun for her size. But this could be due to improper food more then just being fat, or the fact that the person that I got her from watched her roam loose for almost 2 months.

She had escaped and a kind women finally decided to catch her with the winter months coming she would have never survived. She posted on FB about her because her dogs wanted to eat her so she couldn't keep her.

Then the owners, her neighbours, came forward and said she belonged to them they just couldn't catch her. Which is super easy to do.

Anyways the lady was holding her and went to pass her to the owners but they were afraid to take her so they had her put in a box to take her home. That raised a red flag for the kind women and she watched in dismay when they took her the back yard and was put into another box with wood over it with a brick on top. So then the women felt terrible and hoped the rabbit got out again. Which she did. She then this time got ahold of our vet who got ahold of me to see if I'd care for her.

And that's how she came to me. So being loose might have helped with her being a chub.

Also with proper diet her fur might change, but it's nothing like Rex fur. It's hard to explain. It feels like my friends cat who has hair and not fur so I'm not allergic to her. Very short to the skin and fluffy curly downy stuff. Haha

Also no bald spots, she has orange, tan speckles.

Also Her being chubby is why I said she's dainty, not because she super light or a rack of bones. But because she has a tiny head and feet and she's not under weight at all. It's odd she's like no Rex iv seen even mixes. Could maybe because my boy is a Flemish Giant and he's a solid bun with a blocky head haha XD

Have you ever heard of astrex fur? Do you think it could be that?

we are kind of getting off into the realms of VERY UNLIKELY I think but stranger things have happened :) thats the only kind of curly haired rabbit type fur I know of.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

That's it!!! Haha I knew there was something out there. So she could be Rex mixed. I knew she had odd fur. But I love it. She's still an odd shape but that might change as she gets a proper diet and exercise.

oh, she´s so lucky you´ve taken her in and what a poor life she had before. She certainly is a pretty girl and I´m sure with the right nutrition and care, she´ll be looking so much better quite soon. She´s a lovely colour and doesn´t look fat. Once again, she´s a lucky bunny and hope we see more of her.

I would give anything, my right arm even, to have an astrexed fur rabbit! She is so beautiful, what a treasure

She is very unique. Hopefully her fur thickens though, it's rather thin, but I not oh well she's still super cute. I hadn't even hear of a astrex rabbit before. I also live her Tri color :D

I agree with Julie. Her color is called tri color and is very common in Rex furred breeds.

How much does she weigh? I would say she's a standard Rex or mini Rex (possibly mix due to her elongated face). I don't see Astrex. Astrex is a coat type and not a breed. Their signature is the curls and waves in their coats. Her coat type looks like a what a malnutritioned Rex rabbits would look like and also agree with Julie that it will improve with better nutrition

Since everyone else seems to think she is a malnurished rex rabbit, are you sure you trust the vet that said she is fat?

I do trust my vet, very rabbit savy. She's not hugely over weight, just surprisingly solid. She's doing great right now and ill have to get a better picture but her fur is wavy. Almost rough looking but she is super feathery soft. Still feel her fur won't change.

But only time will tell. Shes sooo friendly and is loving her hay and veggies. Again she did run loose for 2 months so she's not underfed. I'm just glad she got out again considering they were feeding her cat food.

Her nails were really the only actual sign of her neglect. Also her and my fixed male have really been hitting it off!

Latest posts

Back